Notification Question

Just so we are ALL on the same page and seeing if we ALL agree on these points (these are questions, not statements - let me know if these are wrong):

If flying as a hobbyist within 5 miles of an airport, you need to NOTIFY an airport (the tower or the manager), correct?

If you are flying in Class G airspace - whether as a hobbyist or as a 107 pilot - you do NOT need APPROVAL from an airport within 5 miles, correct?

Even if the airport manager / tower disapproves, you can still fly as long as you are in class G and do what you can to avoid any possible collision or any interference in the operations of the airport, correct?

If you are flying under 107, you do NOT need to notify any airports within 5 miles as long as you are flying in class G and you take reasonable precautions, correct?

From the FAQ page that the original poster linked to:
Do I have to notify all airports within five miles of where I want to fly recreationally?
Yes, you must contact any airports (including heliports and sea-based airports) and air traffic control towers within five miles of your proposed area of operations if flying under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft (Public Law 112-95, Section 336).

Can an airport operator object to model aircraft flights near an airport?
Yes, an airport operator can object to the proposed use of a model aircraft within five miles of an airport if the proposed activity would endanger the safety of the airspace. However, the airport operator cannot prohibit or prevent the model aircraft operator from operating within five miles of the airport. Unsafe flying in spite of the objection of an airport operator may be evidence that the operator was endangering the safety of the National Airspace System. Additionally, the UAS operator must comply with any applicable airspace requirements.

Although number 7 doesn't specifically state whether it refers to flying recreational or whether flying under 107, the use of the phrase "model aircraft flights" makes me think they are referring to hobby / recreation flights and NOT flying under 107
~~~
I appreciate the original poster's concern for safety and abiding by FAA regulations, but it seems to me that he is unclear on the requirements and responsibilities for flying - both as a hobbyist and under 107.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07
According to the FAA Part 107 Summary (attached), flying for commercial purposes requires ATC approval from manned aircraft facilities in Class B, C, D, and E airspace.
What class of airspace will you be flying in? Will you be in controlled airspace?

If you are flying in controlled airspace then you need authorization from ATC, but from what I know, you are NOT supposed to call the tower / manager. Instead, you are supposed to go through the FAA portal to request it.

Sorry for the delayed response. Without a doubt, Part 107 pilots have many more restrictions placed on their flights than do hobbyist pilots. For instance, I have not found any guidance for hobbyists flights that involve any class [X] airspace. The info below is straight from the FAA website for flying UAS as a hobbyist. Where does it state hobbyist pilots need to worry about Class B, C, D or E airspace, or that they can't fly at night, or that they must fly below 500 ft of clouds. These are all Part 107 restrictions. Hobbyist limitations are only as listed below. In particular, it says to NOTIFY airports within five miles of the planned path. It doesn't say anything about what class of airspace that airport is in. I'll be glad to hear otherwise...

What are the safety guidelines for sUAS recreational users?
  • Follow community-based safety guidelines, as developed by organizations such as the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA).
  • Fly no higher than 400 feet and remain below any surrounding obstacles when possible.
  • Keep your sUAS in eyesight at all times, and use an observer to assist if needed.
  • Remain well clear of and do not interfere with manned aircraft operations, and you must see and avoid other aircraft and obstacles at all times.
  • Do not intentionally fly over unprotected persons or moving vehicles, and remain at least 25 feet away from individuals and vulnerable property.
  • Contact the airport and control tower before flying within five miles of an airport or heliport. (Read about best practices here)
  • Do not fly in adverse weather conditions such as in high winds or reduced visibility.
  • Do not fly under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
  • Ensure the operating environment is safe and that the operator is competent and proficient in the operation of the sUAS.
  • Do not fly near or over sensitive infrastructure or property such as power stations, water treatment facilities, correctional facilities, heavily traveled roadways, government facilities, etc.
  • Check and follow all local laws and ordinances before flying over private property.
  • Do not conduct surveillance or photograph persons in areas where there is an expectation of privacy without the individual’s permission (see AMA’s privacy policy).

Users of commercial and recreational UAS should be aware that in remote, rural and agricultural areas, manned aircraft, including fixed-wing aircraft and helicopters, may be operating very close to ground level. Pilots conducting agricultural, firefighting, law enforcement, emergency medical, wildlife survey operations and a variety of other services all legally and routinely work in low-level airspace. Operators controlling UAS in these areas should maintain situational awareness, give way to, and remain a safe distance from these low-level, manned airplanes and helicopters.

Reactions: Just Mark
Sorry for the delayed response. Without a doubt, Part 107 pilots have many more restrictions placed on their flights than do hobbyist pilots. For instance, I have not found any guidance for hobbyists flights that involve any class [X] airspace. The info below is straight from the FAA website for flying UAS as a hobbyist. Where does it state hobbyist pilots need to worry about Class B, C, D or E airspace, or that they can't fly at night, or that they must fly below 500 ft of clouds. These are all Part 107 restrictions. Hobbyist limitations are only as listed below. In particular, it says to NOTIFY airports within five miles of the planned path. It doesn't say anything about what class of airspace that airport is in. I'll be glad to hear otherwise...

What are the safety guidelines for sUAS recreational users?
  • Follow community-based safety guidelines, as developed by organizations such as the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA).
  • Fly no higher than 400 feet and remain below any surrounding obstacles when possible.
  • Keep your sUAS in eyesight at all times, and use an observer to assist if needed.
  • Remain well clear of and do not interfere with manned aircraft operations, and you must see and avoid other aircraft and obstacles at all times.
  • Do not intentionally fly over unprotected persons or moving vehicles, and remain at least 25 feet away from individuals and vulnerable property.
  • Contact the airport and control tower before flying within five miles of an airport or heliport. (Read about best practices here)
  • Do not fly in adverse weather conditions such as in high winds or reduced visibility.
  • Do not fly under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
  • Ensure the operating environment is safe and that the operator is competent and proficient in the operation of the sUAS.
  • Do not fly near or over sensitive infrastructure or property such as power stations, water treatment facilities, correctional facilities, heavily traveled roadways, government facilities, etc.
  • Check and follow all local laws and ordinances before flying over private property.
  • Do not conduct surveillance or photograph persons in areas where there is an expectation of privacy without the individual’s permission (see AMA’s privacy policy).

Users of commercial and recreational UAS should be aware that in remote, rural and agricultural areas, manned aircraft, including fixed-wing aircraft and helicopters, may be operating very close to ground level. Pilots conducting agricultural, firefighting, law enforcement, emergency medical, wildlife survey operations and a variety of other services all legally and routinely work in low-level airspace. Operators controlling UAS in these areas should maintain situational awareness, give way to, and remain a safe distance from these low-level, manned airplanes and helicopters.
Hmm... interesting...

I thought that ALL UAS needed to request authorization to enter controlled airspace - whether flying under 107, or under special rule for model aircraft. But maybe not. No mention of getting ATC authorization here:

eCFR — Code of Federal Regulations

Reactions: jdharrin
This from the FAA.GOV website:

Look at #2:
Getting Started

2 Options for Flying Your Drone
Flying under: "Fly under the FAA's Small UAS Rule
(Part 107)" does not say anything about "notifying" anyone.
It just has the bullet-point rules which include:
  • Don't fly near other aircraft or over people*
  • Don't fly in controlled airspace near airports without FAA permission*
Note: Class G ("golf") is not "controlled airspace" (as you know since you went ahead and got your license).

My personal reading of this (and IANAL) is that you're good as long as you:
1. Have your Part 107 license,
2. Fly Class G ("class golf"),
...and...
3. avoid interfering with other aircraft.

As to the third point there; I live near a Class 1 Trauma Center helipad. If I hear (or see) a manned rotorcraft, then I'm getting the little quad-copter close to the ground ASAP! I know that technically, helicoptors are supposed to fly above 500 AGL, but if there's a Nightingale flight heading off to try and save a life at 200 feet AGL, I'm not going to ***** about it and I'm gonna stay the heck out of their way!

It says right there on the FAA web page under the "Fly under the FAA's Small UAS Rule
(Part 107)" heading:

• "Fly for recreational OR commercial use"

Seems pretty black and white to me.

Hmm... interesting...

I thought that ALL UAS needed to request authorization to enter controlled airspace - whether flying under 107, or under special rule for model aircraft. But maybe not. No mention of getting ATC authorization here:

eCFR — Code of Federal Regulations

Part 107 must have an Airspace Authorization. Airspace Waiver, LAANC authorization (now in testing stage) and in some rare instances a verbal authorization from ATC (if you get this you better document everything).

Part 101 "Notify" if within 5 miles of the airport regardless what airspace except BRAVO. Bravo requires Permission and Coordination from ATC prior to entering Class BRAVO Airspace.
Do I have to notify all airports within five miles of where I want to fly recreationally?
Yes, you must contact any airports (including heliports and sea-based airports) and air traffic control towers within five miles of your proposed area of operations if flying under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft (Public Law 112-95, Section 336).
Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions
Airspace Restrictions

Also Class ECHO can be Surface-E not just 700 or 1200 AGL

Before I fly recreationally I just send a quick email to a nearby small airfield about 15 to 30 minutes before I fly. I'll include a Google Earth capture with a circle drawn to show approx where I'll be flying, the approximate times and let them know I'll be staying under 300' or sometimes 400'.

It works perfect... I've done my part by notifying and have email proof I did so and I usually get a nice email back saying "Thanks for letting us know!" sometimes with an added "It's cloudy out today keep an extra watch out for low flying aircraft."

Back when I first got my Phantom I stopped into the airport and introduced myself and was asking a few questions, they said a few guys have also come in and most just inform the airport with an email. Works for me!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl