Not THAT bad after 1500' death plunge

FYI I was flying my P3P a couple of weeks ago with the same carbon propellers that I remember double checking for being correctly installed. after 50 seconds as I was watching it one of the props shoot off and the dear P3P fell down, fortunately survived without much troubles from the 30mts crash over some grass.

I was able to recover the prop and notice no problem whatsoever with it. It could certainly be that it wasn't tightened enough but I'm never going to use carbon props ever again.

Well this is kind of interesting. I contacted DJI on the Monday after the crash and they asked for some further information. I sent the requested info along with photos and flight record and then received a notice and prepaid shipping form with which to send the wreck in to them. I sent it in last Wed., they received it on Fri. and I just now received a notice that the repaired craft is on it's way back. We'll see what happens.

Good deal! I'm guessing it's prob a new 1 though. l can't imagine there was any thing good left from the other 1. Either way Don't forget you'll have to re-link your rc.

Reactions: madmandrews
Repaired P3A arrived today from DJI. Same box that I sent it in, so it looks like original was repaired. Job ticket shows most parts replaced less motors.
full

full
It seems that nearly half of the posts to this forum start off with "lost my Phantom" or "Phantom crashed - help!". With 50 successful and uneventful flights since purchasing a P3A last Jan., I didn't think that was going to happen to me - until it did. Yesterday evening, I sent the Phantom straight up from my house for some photos. At 900', I saw the screen image go wonky, and then watched helplessly as the craft tumbled from the sky into a 600' canyon next to the house (for those who wish to freak about the 900', I'm in the middle of nowhere with no nearby aviation). Climbed down the canyon and was able to locate the craft by it's last dying beeps. Housing and battery shattered, gimbal and camera here & there, Marco Polo ejected & lost (hadn't turned it on, since I was only going straight up). Checked flight logs - all normal until just after fall began, then an endless series of speed & compass errors. As far as what could have caused this, one prop (DJI carbon fiber) was completely missing - possible catastrophic failure? I had just tightened them before take off and had made no sudden or braking maneuvers - just straight up. This was also the first flight after installing the v1.9.60 firmware. DJI Go App showed clear with safe to fly. All I know at this time is that I'm on the fence as far as replacement - it's a pretty fair chunk of cash to risk to what seems to be a litany of minutia just waiting to go wrong.

Exact thing happened to me to this week. I have my bird since April this year.
I flew the bird many times with the original props with no issue at all. 2 weeks ago i bought DJI carbon fiber props. first fly with them was OK, in the second flight with them, after 60 seconds in the air i get on the screen compass error and the bird just fell from the sky like a rock (from 70M !). i also tightened them before take off and had made no sudden or braking maneuvers, just straight flight. I don't know what the cause of crash (prop fell/compass error), but one thing i know for sure, that it is not my fault.
Look at the pic of my bird (look the same ad yours):
188924File.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Wow, that's amazing - it almost is the same photo. Check your flight record and see if it shows anything out of the ordinary - if not, might as well try contacting DJI (my flight record showed straight up, no more than 2.5' of lateral movement, and no problems until after it started to fall).

Wow, that's amazing - it almost is the same photo. Check your flight record and see if it shows anything out of the ordinary - if not, might as well try contacting DJI (my flight record showed straight up, no more than 2.5' of lateral movement, and no problems until after it started to fall).

Hi,
regarding your advice, i send you PM.
thanks,
Tom.

The way it was explained to me is this, the signal comes out of the bottom of the AC in a cone shape but with a blind spot directly below. The higher up it goes the wider the spread of the blind spot. Around 1K is where the blind spot is too wide and the signal is lost.
Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I understand the blind spot, but why didn't the Phantom go into a loss of signal routine, and return home??

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers