Not THAT bad after 1500' death plunge

Can you post a close up pic of the broken prop at the break or look and see if you can see any metal wire tips sticking out the end? I know that they say carbon fiber but after looking at the clean break, it looks like they ground the fibers to dust. It should look stranded if it really is carbon fiber.
58677-bccb142cc0cece5dbfa5a1a1baf1cb5f.jpg

This prop obviously broke on impact. The missing one is where I believe the problem arose. No sign of it at the crash site - I'm really starting to believe that it came apart in flight.

Reactions: Reed L
Actually it would be great if you could just take a cf prop with gloves on and see how much pressure it takes to snap it. Then snap an old plastic one to see if there's a difference. After seeing so many cf props snap, it really makes me wonder if they just have a little bit of cf added in so they can legally be called a carbon fiber composite...

Actually it would be great if you could just take a cf prop with gloves on and see how much pressure it takes to snap it. Then snap an old plastic one to see if there's a difference. After seeing so many cf props snap, it really makes me wonder if they just have a little bit of cf added in so they can legally be called a carbon fiber composite...

I have read in other posts that they're not true CF.

Straight up, especially that high, is really bad for maintaining a signal.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Nonsense, you put your antaennas parallel to the ground, and can go up as high as its capable, 500m. Full signals

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Nonsense, you put your antaennas parallel to the ground, and can go up as high as its capable, 500m. Full signals

Really? Explain how that helps the signal get to the antennas on the AC when it's directly above you? I am well aware how the RC antenna orientation works.

They're definitely much stiffer, and much more brittle than the standard props. Not to mention not nearly as well balanced. I'd surely hate to take one across the forearm. They have no redeeming qualities IMO.

Really? Explain how that helps the signal get to the antennas on the AC when it's directly above you? I am well aware how the RC antenna orientation works.

Because your antennas radiate along their length, not from their tips.

They receive (and radiate) the same way. Ideally, in a straight-above scenario, the AC antennas would also be in a horizontal position, but that's obviously not possible, and real-world testing has shown that orienting your RC antennas that way is enough to maintain a healthy signal.

If you are aware, then what's the question?

If you are aware, then what's the question?

Explain how the AC can receive a signal when the antennas are in the legs angling down and away and the RC is below. At a certain height directly overhead, the signal is lost. Moving out from under the AC reestablishes the signal. This is well documented on here and I've seen a DJI tutorial video explaining it.

Explain how the AC can receive a signal when the antennas are in the legs angling down and away and the RC is below. At a certain height directly overhead, the signal is lost. Moving out from under the AC reestablishes the signal. This is well documented on here and I've seen a DJI tutorial video explaining it.

Yea you are right. I must just be getting lucky with my Ac and RC communicating at full signals when above me at 1600'.

Signal score 87 out of 100

63ba5fe52e6383bc75c7725811c79f76_thumb.jpg

Hey guys - moot point about the antennas (at least as far as this post). I'd been using the Itelite DBS02 for a few months now. Never had a problem with range - batteries would run low first.

Reactions: ray rokni
Hey guys - moot point about the antennas (at least as far as this post). I'd been using the Itelite DBS02 for a few months now. Never had a problem with range - batteries would run low first.

Now with any directional mods you will lose signal if Ac is above you and your aim is off!!

Just guessing but pretty much sounds like you lost a prop (either it came off, struck something, or shattered).

This is my thought, too. Especially seeing as you were running the CF props. They are very unforgiving of contact with anything.

The way it was explained to me is this, the signal comes out of the bottom of the AC in a cone shape but with a blind spot directly below. The higher up it goes the wider the spread of the blind spot. Around 1K is where the blind spot is too wide and the signal is lost.

Either way, a failsafe would kick in. No issues.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic