Not stable while hovering

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been written about, it probably has but I didn't search using the right words. I've had a couple minor crashed and my Phantom 2 V+ v3. and it's no longer stable while hovering and in order for it to stay in place I need to take control of the sticks. It sometimes drops altitude and or moves forwards/backwards. Otherwise it seems to be fine, even looks stable at higher altitudes but that could be deceiving since I'm not close to it. Some background info: I'm running in the NAZA setting, happens while running in GPS mode, ran advanced IMU calibration a few times, ran remote calibration, rebinded the remote, am running firmware 3.12, I've calibrated the compass, and it happens at various locations with at least 7 satellites. I'm assuming that this wouldn't be covered by the DJI warranty but any opinions?. Does anyone have any home brewed remedies to try? I'm thinking of sending it out for repairs to DroneFly, anyone have any experiences to share? Thanks for your time.

Hey Rob. I'm experiencing the same problem. Keep reading. There are some remedies out there. What I really would like to know is what causes the compass to malfunction. The only thing I did different on my last flight was I placed my Phantom in the back of my truck before turning it off. I also started it up from my workbench not realizing there was a magnetic strip close by. Lesson learned. Can you think anything you did differently to cause the problem?

Just trowing rocks Rob but look at these 13C1A5E1-BFD7-469C-BDCB-77EC49561190_zpshkm80drl.jpg . . Just a thought .
Welcome to the forum :)

Sorry if this has been written about, it probably has but I didn't search using the right words. I've had a couple minor crashed and my Phantom 2 V+ v3. and it's no longer stable while hovering and in order for it to stay in place I need to take control of the sticks. It sometimes drops altitude and or moves forwards/backwards. Otherwise it seems to be fine, even looks stable at higher altitudes but that could be deceiving since I'm not close to it. Some background info: I'm running in the NAZA setting, happens while running in GPS mode, ran advanced IMU calibration a few times, ran remote calibration, rebinded the remote, am running firmware 3.12, I've calibrated the compass, and it happens at various locations with at least 7 satellites. I'm assuming that this wouldn't be covered by the DJI warranty but any opinions?. Does anyone have any home brewed remedies to try? I'm thinking of sending it out for repairs to DroneFly, anyone have any experiences to share? Thanks for your time.

CPhantom59, thanks for the reply. How did you know it was the compass that's malfunctioning? Can you please point me to one of the remedies you mentioned that works? I assumed it was one of the crashes I had that did something but none of them were hard in my humble opinion and I didn't consider the compass malfunctioning.

Watch this , start about half way through it .
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

dirk, I tried four times with the magnet. No luck.
Rob, check out the "Compass Caution!" thread. I would try it but I'm away from my computer.

dirk, I tried four times with the magnet. No luck.
Rob, check out the "Compass Caution!" thread. I would try it but I'm away from my computer.
Just throwing rocks bro ,ya never know ! ;)

No need to throw rocks. Any and all suggestion are greatly appreciated.

It is a difficult process to understand what one person considers minor crashes, as even in minor crashes, the electronics within the model can get compromised needing replacement, or adjustment.
Your best friend to help evaluate such issues is the Phantom Assistant software. Have you checked within the assistant to determine what the compass readings were set prior to using alternative fixes such as rotating a magnet around the compass? There are videos describing how to use the Assistant software to determine if your compass is out of range, and what would be considered an appropriate numerical in range setting.
What readings are you presently seeing?.
Additionally, the compass on the newer Phantoms while providing better shielded protection against contact with magnetic materials, are non the less not necessarily considered bullet proof.
Crashes, even minor in nature can affect the mechanism/wiring of the unit. : )

Last edited:
?
No need to throw rocks. Any and all suggestion are greatly appreciated.
Want some.jpg
Altitude dropping wouldn't be compass issue would it ?
Have seen a lot of GPS antenna's cracking on crashes here lately.
Ahaaa just thinking out loud :rolleyes:

Thanks sky. Just for the record, My phantom is a little over three weeks old and I've never landed it. Hand caught only. Hard to believe after all this time and revisions of this quad that they still have these issues. I tried the assistant software and did make some progress. I'm going to try one more time tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes

Thanks sky. Just for the record, My phantom is a little over three weeks old and I've never landed it. Hand caught only. Hard to believe after all this time and revisions of this quad that they still have these issues. I tried the assistant software and did make some progress. I'm going to try one more time tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes
That's the best way to get it down IMO but not what the OP stated . He had had several crashes and that's what I was referring to ,his issue.

Did you by chance watch the connected satellites and see if there was any change while hovering. There are some threads about a GPS plug issue where it is lose and the satellite connections are lost for seconds. Just a pennies worth.

Rob, I will have an answer for you by tomorrow afternoon. You will either be elated or you will be struggling with DJI support. And Dirk will continue to sit in front of his computer naked without a job.

Reactions: Apparition
Rob, I will have an answer for you by tomorrow afternoon. You will either be elated or you will be struggling with DJI support. And Dirk will continue to sit in front of his computer naked without a job.
Thanks!

Did you by chance watch the connected satellites and see if there was any change while hovering. There are some threads about a GPS plug issue where it is lose and the satellite connections are lost for seconds. Just a pennies worth.
Roy, when your Phantom is not hovering, you don't look down. What I can tell you for sure is I've never dropped below 6 satellites.

If your phantom was not PERFECTLY level when you did the advanced IMU calibration, it will wobble when hovering.....sometimes with a radius of several feet. I though my computer desk was level enough....it wasn't. Trying to yaw will make it worse. Check out this thread.... http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=4343&page=1

Also, if you MOVED your compass, move it back. If it is just 2 degrees out of it's original orientation, it will simply not work well.

Hey Rob D, I promised you a response. I thought for sure if I got a clean calibration in the Assistant software, I would be back in business. No luck. The good news is, it looks like Terrylowe has the solution in his post above and, it looks like the only solution to our problem. Good luck if you proceed. For me, this is the last day I have an opportunity to send mine back so she's over at UPS. My plans are to wait for all those brave P3 test pilots to have their fun and wait for the P3+, however, I will miss Ground Station.

Last edited:
Try a new set of balanced props, confirm if possible.

if a true DJI prop with dji and 9443 on it they usually are good new out of bag

but if you crashed you never know what shape there in

unbalanced prop will not fly well at all and sometimes even crash it if really out.

good luck!

Reactions: terrylowe
Hey Rob D, I promised you a response. I thought for sure if I got a clean calibration in the Assistant software, I would be back in business. No luck. The good news is, it looks like Terrylowe has the solution in his post above and, it looks like the only solution to our problem. Good luck if you proceed. For me, this is the last day I have an opportunity to send mine back so she's over at UPS. My plans are to wait for all those brave P3 test pilots to have their fun and wait for the P3+, however, I will miss Ground Station.
Thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers