Not "if", but "when", they say....

Reaction score
The "when" happened today while
showing a buddy my P4.
I let him fly it after I flew out the first battery. Then when he got close, I took over and was doing some low flying like I always do, low and slow, came around behind one of his metal buildings, which I have done before with no problems, but this time, and with no warnings, it pulled me into the building like a magnet.

I was about 4' off the ground and about 40-50 feet from home point. I even had time to give an opposite direction stick command but it didn't respond. I could hear the props trying to break their way into the building.. which was a very eerie sound by the way. I went to look and the P4 was under the building with the battery popped out.

I was actually flying past one of the corners of the building..slooooowly... not beside it like parallel.. and was a good 5 or 6 feet from it. I have flown through the woods many times around trees and such so normally this was an easy maneuver for me. And this is way out in the sticks.. no interference whatsoever.

The damage..
4e826c61f1512871085c2ab7b9fa3575.jpg

67ae8b47876c9d5d34b9547dad56dc8d.jpg

Didn't hurt the gimbal or anything else. Put on new props and made another flight afterwards after giving it all a good going through. This sucks! Lol

Need help figuring out why this happened. Initial thought was the building messed up the compass somehow but I got no warnings or errors. It just happened out of the blue. And the fact it didn't try to respond to my correction stick command baffles me too.

I know prop guards would have maybe prevented the crash, I left them home this time. My mistake.

What's odd now is the AC firmware is unrecognized as shown in this pic..
76784bef135c872f8f6e41c225b3569e.jpg

All I can tell you is I haven't updated since around October or November of 2016.

Here's the log files. I tried to get the .DAT file also but it gets to 99% and stops. (Crappy laptop) I will keep trying to retrieve the file.

Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

Here's a pic showing the building. I was flying around the back side of the smallest building, getting ready to go between the building and garden and was flying almost against the garden and had plans to go between the garden and smallest pole.
963778e742381ea63694dc41f156258a.jpg

The .DAT file gets to 99% and appears to stop. It's been about 10 minutes on 99%. Is this normal?

Feelin' the love!!! You guys are awesome!
(Laughs)

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan