Not hovering properly, also one motor doesn't sound right compared to the others

Reaction score
So I got my Phantom 3 Standard for Christmas and being new to this I have crashed a few times (3 to be exact). They werend major crashes, one little scratch is on the body near a motor. But today I went ou near my local beach and started flying. I knew something was wrong because it wasnt hovering at all. The drone was really struggling to come down and even when I tried to land, the drone was flying with the wind. I hit a wooden pole and it fell to the ground. I went home and went in my backyard to see if everything was ok. I sent it up 5 ft and I stopped going up. I was expecting it to hover but it came down to the ground pretty quickly. Luckily I landed it successfully and I tried it again. Same thing happened. I came inside to look for videos or help on how to fix this. I found maybe the motors are stuttering. I took off the propellers and started to rev the motors. I noticed that they weren't stuttering, but my front right motor has a crackling noise going on and it's not as smooth as the other motors. I assumed some sand got into the motors, but I don't know how to get it out. Please help.

So I got my Phantom 3 Standard for Christmas and being new to this I have crashed a few times (3 to be exact). They werend major crashes, one little scratch is on the body near a motor. But today I went ou near my local beach and started flying. I knew something was wrong because it wasnt hovering at all. The drone was really struggling to come down and even when I tried to land, the drone was flying with the wind. I hit a wooden pole and it fell to the ground. I went home and went in my backyard to see if everything was ok. I sent it up 5 ft and I stopped going up. I was expecting it to hover but it came down to the ground pretty quickly. Luckily I landed it successfully and I tried it again. Same thing happened. I came inside to look for videos or help on how to fix this. I found maybe the motors are stuttering. I took off the propellers and started to rev the motors. I noticed that they weren't stuttering, but my front right motor has a crackling noise going on and it's not as smooth as the other motors. I assumed some sand got into the motors, but I don't know how to get it out. Please help.

What you described sounds like atti mode. GPS is not available and the AC uses only its barometer to maintain altitude. As such, it will drift with the wind. You most likely took off with Switch 1 in the wrong position. Atti mode is not for beginners but nevertheless should be mastered by all. Now when you attempted another flight in your back yard, its possible the motor was bad or damaged at that point, probably from your first crash.

I'm far from a drone mechanic but I suspect your analysis may be correct in that there is sand caught up in the rotor. The only option I see is disassembling the quad to clean it out but that will immediately void your warranty. Whatever you do, do not attempt to fly. It's dangerous.

If it were me, I would contact DJI Support and ask about getting it repaired. In the interim, if you want some additional feedback based on actual flight data you can upload your log to this website DJI Flight Log Viewer. Follow the instructions then post a link to the results back here.

Now expect a flood of "now go back and read the manual" from people. It may take some time, however, it's Christmas and there are dozens of people ahead of you that also crashed their drones straight out of the box. :>

I tried but still struggling to hover. I tried using the liftoff button on the app, and I don't even think it got 2 ft off the ground.

might require a motor replacement

What you described sounds like atti mode. GPS is not available and the AC uses only its barometer to maintain altitude. As such, it will drift with the wind. You most likely took off with Switch 1 in the wrong position. Atti mode is not for beginners but nevertheless should be mastered by all. Now when you attempted another flight in your back yard, its possible the motor was bad or damaged at that point, probably from your first crash.

I'm far from a drone mechanic but I suspect your analysis may be correct in that there is sand caught up in the rotor. The only option I see is disassembling the quad to clean it out but that will immediately void your warranty. Whatever you do, do not attempt to fly. It's dangerous.

If it were me, I would contact DJI Support and ask about getting it repaired. In the interim, if you want some additional feedback based on actual flight data you can upload your log to this website DJI Flight Log Viewer. Follow the instructions then post a link to the results back here.

Now expect a flood of "now go back and read the manual" from people. It may take some time, however, it's Christmas and there are dozens of people ahead of you that also crashed their drones straight out of the box. :>

My phantom always says its in atti mode to begin with, but then I get the notification telling me the GPS is ready, but yeah, I contacted DJI Support and they told me it was a compass issue and to send it back to them. Thank you

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie