Not hovering at specific altitude

Reaction score
It appears when I first fly the phantom, it will hover nicely when i release the sticks, but after flying it for 10 minutes or so, it starts to lose its ability to hover in a single spot.. it wants to slowly descend when I try to keep it at about 10' high... anyone else have this issue? I have to keep compensating for it with the throttle... I figure if i can compensate with the throttle to keep it at a consistent altitude then why isn't the software already doing that for me? I do have the added weight of the prop guards but i didn't think this should make any difference since you're suppose to be able to pull the drone down with your hand and it go right back to the same location/height...

Ok just checking because it will start to come down on its own once it gets down to low battery. You were flying in GPS mode? You calibrated your controller in the assistant? Did you change any parameters?

Dirty Bird said:
Ok just checking because it will start to come down on its own once it gets down to low battery. You were flying in GPS mode? You calibrated your controller in the assistant? Did you change any parameters?

I was flying in GPS mode and I calibrated my controller in the assistant app. I did not change any parameters. This isn't the first flight it's done this too... and i had this issue where the phantom would start moving erratically and descend quickly and land/crash hard... i tried full throttle to no avail... it seems like there might be something wrong with my phantom... i'm not seeing any others on here reporting the same thing..

Today I experienced the same thing again. Seemed to hover fine in one spot initially.. but later in the flight.. (still over 50% battery) i would let go of the sticks and it would want to just slowly descend... i would apply throttle, and it would ascend... anyone else experiencing this... what appears to be losing power syndrome?

This sounds to me like classic battery is low and trying to auto land. Cause you can give throttle up in this case and it will ascend, but if you let go it will go back to descending. This is how you drain a battery for the every 20 cycle discharge btw.

Do u have another battery to try? Even tho this one says 50% maybe it's faulty and can't deliver power. Maybe.

BlackTracer said:
This sounds to me like classic battery is low and trying to auto land. Cause you can give throttle up in this case and it will ascend, but if you let go it will go back to descending. This is how you drain a battery for the every 20 cycle discharge btw.

Do u have another battery to try? Even tho this one says 50% maybe it's faulty and can't deliver power. Maybe.

I've been using two different batteries with the same result...

Just noticed mine doing something similar today. I actually closed the vision app and recorded it with my phone while it was still on the tx.
I had 11 satellites, fresh batteries all the way around too. The only input I gave the quad was to give it back some altitude but it was wandering and slowly losing altitude. There were 8mph winds with gust up to13mph but nothing crazy.

Here's the video I took of it.
Phantom Vision+ random descent: http://youtu.be/ZoVElvXj-UI

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

I don't know where the post was but I remember a similar thing happing to some P2v and P2 Phantoms a while back.

The Phantom would lose power and want to descend even with plenty of power in battery. Full power was applied and the Phantom would struggle to climb.
I think it's some issue with a sensor, perhaps the GPS perhaps the barometer?
I wish I remembered where I saw that post, it was a few months back.

I know that after a phone call or some emails or something, DJI replaced the Phantom with a new one.

Contact DJI this issue sounds like one that happened to other phantom 2s.

ResevorDG said:
I don't know where the post was but I remember a similar thing happing to some P2v and P2 Phantoms a while back.

The Phantom would lose power and want to descend even with plenty of power in battery. Full power was applied and the Phantom would struggle to climb.
I think it's some issue with a sensor, perhaps the GPS perhaps the barometer?
I wish I remembered where I saw that post, it was a few months back.

I know that after a phone call or some emails or something, DJI replaced the Phantom with a new one.

Contact DJI this issue sounds like one that happened to other phantom 2s.

I will certainly do that, thanks! Can I expect that DJI will properly help me on this issue and replace if necessary? I have been a little worried that since this is so new and the wait time for customer support is so long, that I might get the run around... Kinda been wishing I had just purchased it through Amazon then it would be easier to deal with the return. I ordered direct through DJI...

AmosMoses said:
Just noticed mine doing something similar today. I actually closed the vision app and recorded it with my phone while it was still on the tx.
I had 11 satellites, fresh batteries all the way around too. The only input I gave the quad was to give it back some altitude but it was wandering and slowly losing altitude. There were 8mph winds with gust up to13mph but nothing crazy.

I noticed your Phantom also has the prop guards. I was wondering if maybe my prop guards added enough weight to necessitate an increase in the Gain via the Assistant software. I'm also in Colorado Springs where the air is slightly thinner at 6400' above sea level.. not sure if this would make much difference or not. I saw your video and my descent was actually a little faster and more pronounced. Were you compensating with a little throttle also?

srandall25 said:
AmosMoses said:

I noticed your Phantom also has the prop guards. I was wondering if maybe my prop guards added enough weight to necessitate an increase in the Gain via the Assistant software. I'm also in Colorado Springs where the air is slightly thinner at 6400' above sea level.. not sure if this would make much difference or not. I saw your video and my descent was actually a little faster and more pronounced. Were you compensating with a little throttle also?

I wouldn't think that the prop gaurds would be enough weight to have to increase the gains. I had them on my P2V and it was fine.
The only time i gave any input on the tx was when it was almost on the ground to keep it from hitting and possibly tipping over.
I performed an advanced calibration of the IMU and calibrrated the tx and the compass. It still wants to wander and loses altitude.

AmosMoses said:
srandall25 said:
AmosMoses said:

I wouldn't think that the prop gaurds would be enough weight to have to increase the gains. I had them on my P2V and it was fine.
The only time i gave any input on the tx was when it was almost on the ground to keep it from hitting and possibly tipping over.
I performed an advanced calibration of the IMU and calibrrated the tx and the compass. It still wants to wander and loses altitude.

I hate that it's happening to you too.. but at least I now know it's not just a problem only i'm dealing with. I really hope it's a software issue. It must not be too common since I haven't been reading about anyone else experiencing the same thing... Let me know if you ever experience a rapid oscillation in flight followed by a dramatic descent and very hard landing/crash.. that's happened to me twice now..

srandall25 said:
AmosMoses said:
srandall25 said:
AmosMoses said:

I hate that it's happening to you too.. but at least I now know it's not just a problem only i'm dealing with. I really hope it's a software issue. It must not be too common since I haven't been reading about anyone else experiencing the same thing... Let me know if you ever experience a rapid oscillation in flight followed by a dramatic descent and very hard landing/crash.. that's happened to me twice now..

Thankfully nothing that severe YET anyway. I did have it act a little twitchy this morning. It would want to do just a small and fast maybe 10% turn to its left. Did it like 4 times and the sticks felt sluggis to inputs. Ill have to pay a little more attention and maybe even catch it on video.

My understanding of DJIs response time is that it was bad while the US operations were being litigiously revamped but now they have an office in CA so things are better? I could be wrong about that.

ResevorDG said:
My understanding of DJIs response time is that it was bad while the US operations were being litigiously revamped but now they have an office in CA so things are better? I could be wrong about that.
Well I have submitted a couple support questions over a week ago, and the other day i waited on their support line for over two hours. I started out as number 42 in line. I called the day prior and was 32 in line... Clearly they're either swamped or under staffed for the increased support needed for their latest Vision+... I'm hoping it's just because of the recent release but they really should increase their support staff for the time being..

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michello