Not a good question

I have often wondered about this, some larger model A/C (as well as full size ones) do have parachutes that are remote deployed. As they would be rip-stop nylon they would not block the GPS (i don't think). In case of a fly-away (or other issue) you could do a CSC then deploy the chute and watch it float back down.

Reactions: AbsPapa
Mounted it on the top center of the P3 so it would land on the landing gear?
That would not be possible since the props nearly touch in the middle. A side mount could work though.

It might seem like no weight at all, but even 1.1 ripstop nylon is about 1.5-2.5oz per yard. And you need a fair bit for a parachute, more than you think. Add lines, servo, cable, and it will add up quick.

If you start using exotic materials, not a lot of people are going to want to pay $300 to maybe save $1000. (Quads depreciate so you're not saving retail, and it's also unlikely you will be saved 100%.)

Please do not use titles like this as it is considered 'click bait' and is a violation of the rules. Please change the title @AbsPapa to something descriptive. Thanks ;)

DJI brought that concept to market over a year ago. It's called 'DropSafe' and there are others although I don't know if any are made for the Phantom platform - http://www.dji.com/product/dropsafe

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: dirkclod

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.