Noob questions about compass error & ATTI message

Reaction score
Be gentle - I'm still learning :)

I just bought a new P3S to replace one I crashed (my fault - preventable mistake.) The controller for the broken one has an ARGtek kit on it & I successfully linked it to the new drone so I know they're communicating. Even with a compass error should the motors spin up when the sticks are pulled down/inwards? (I don't have the props on so it won't take off by accident.) The compass on the broken drone would calibrate if I was in the middle of the street away from cars, etc but the new one won't. I even had my bro-in-law do 'the dance' & he wasn't carrying a cell phone or even wearing a watch and I'd previously calibrated the IMU.

I'm also getting a message that says it's in ATTI mode even though the switch is in GPS mode & I have 11 satellites. While it's annoying my first issue is to make sure the motors will spin.

On the advice of a forum member I downgraded the s/w to version 1.05.7 which is apparently better than the most recent update. I'm not sure what the rationale was but he's more knowledgeable about Phantoms than I am so maybe someone could explain why / how it's better.

Maybe I'll go back to building / collecting guns. I've never had one I couldn't make go "BANG!"

Try calibrating the compass in an open area, for all we know there could be a giant cast iron water main directly below you.

The phantom can’t enter GPS mode while it is detecting an issue with the compass- it will ignore the satellites positioning data.

What are your compass mod values?

Try calibrating the compass in an open area, for all we know there could be a giant cast iron water main directly below you.

The phantom can’t enter GPS mode while it is detecting an issue with the compass- it will ignore the satellites positioning data.

What are your compass mod values?

Thanks for the info - I learned something new and appreciate you passing along your knowledge.

I know there aren't metal water mains in my area because it's a new subdivision & they only used plastic pipe. I'd calibrated my other drone in the double wide driveway between me and my neighbor but maybe I'll just go try it in BF Egypt.

The compass value is 0.00 but this time when I went into Advanced Settings I got a 'calibrate IMU' message which I did. I tried to calibrate the compass again here at the house but nada.

I'm getting the 'update firmware' message. Any reason not to?

The driveway almost certainly will have reinforcing mesh in it. Just go to a park or oval.

It's paved with asphalt & I calibrated my other drone there BUT the best thing for me to do is try another location.

Any opinion on why or why not to upgrade the firmware?

I'd try first to get the calibration issue solved first. Updating "could" always bring new problems into the mix.

DJI go app is VERY finicky about compass readings and interference warnings.

You must be in my area - video of a ship at Port of Portland? I've been in McMinnville since May (Tualatin before) and love it here. A traffic jam is 8 cars.
I'm in the mouth of the mighty Columbia gorge. Some call it Gresham.

Reactions: PDX1953
There's your problem.
The compass is disconnected (possibly a broken wire in the landing gear or a disconnected connector on the main board.
While it's showing zero, it will never calibrate.

Looks like it'll be headed back to DJI considering it's brand new. Thanks.

If it's dead out if the box I wouldn't be accepting return for repair, you are in replace or refund at your option territory.

I tested the compass sensor by waving a magnet near the pickup and the values changed dramatically so it ruled out a bad sensor.

While I was out today I stopped off at a park & decided to give things a try. No sooner than everything booted up my DJI app said the compass was calibrated without me doing anything. What the.....? It was pretty windy but I flew around a bit & took about 10 minutes of video so no reason to contact DJI Support. I also decided to fix my crashed P3S and bought a brand new controller board with motors for $130. All that because of a tiny plug receptacle but when I go visit my Grandson we'll each have a toy to play with.

Reactions: Neon Euc
I tested the compass sensor by waving a magnet near the pickup and the values changed dramatically so it ruled out a bad sensor.

While I was out today I stopped off at a park & decided to give things a try. No sooner than everything booted up my DJI app said the compass was calibrated without me doing anything. What the.....? It was pretty windy but I flew around a bit & took about 10 minutes of video so no reason to contact DJI Support. I also decided to fix my crashed P3S and bought a brand new controller board with motors for $130. All that because of a tiny plug receptacle but when I go visit my Grandson we'll each have a toy to play with.

Given the earlier reading of zero, it's still possible that you have an intermittent connection to the compass (the P3 only has one compass I think). I'd watch that closely.

Reactions: PDX1953

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl