Noisy footage - Post production issue?

Reaction score
Hey all,

I've pretty recently bought a Phantom 4 Pro and it has better video quality than my Mavic Pro I had before. However there's a _lot_ of noise in my footage. Is this only a postproduction issue or is there any of my settings completely off?

Obviously i'm shooting at 100 ISO, I also tried different kind of custom settings without any big changes. (+1, -1, -1 & -1, -2, -2 etc). What's the recommended settings. I know the Mavic needed sharpness +1 to bypass noise removal that removed too much detail. What's recommended for Phantom 4 Pro?

I've tried both shooting in D-log and Cinelike, can't see any dramatic changes regarding noise. I'm shooting 4K 60 fps and sometimes 30 fps.

Any pro tips would be very helpful.

Best regards
Björn

Try starting without any custom setting adjustments. Make sure you're using 100 ASA, Shutter speed that's approximately twice your frame rate and ND filters to get your iris to 4.5. I'd steer away from 4K 60fps since it doesn't shoot "real" 60fps at 4K (lots of threads already about this). Just stick with 30fps or 24fps at 4K. Your histogram should have the majority of your exposure just right of the halfway point (for an average scene). It will vary depending on how much sky ver. ground you have visible in the frame. That should be a good starting point for video with very low noise. Good luck!

Reactions: bjornjarnankar
Try starting without any custom setting adjustments. Make sure you're using 100 ASA, Shutter speed that's approximately twice your frame rate and ND filters to get your iris to 4.5. I'd steer away from 4K 60fps since it doesn't shoot "real" 60fps at 4K (lots of threads already about this). Just stick with 30fps or 24fps at 4K. Your histogram should have the majority of your exposure just right of the halfway point (for an average scene). It will vary depending on how much sky ver. ground you have visible in the frame. That should be a good starting point for video with very low noise. Good luck!

Thanks JarrodF. Thanks for all the good advice. I'm always shooting at 100 ISO (except in the 500-locked D-log) and shutterspeeds of twice the frame rate. Is aperture of 4-ish prefered? If so I'm guessing for best sharpness, won't affect noise much? I'm also trying to exposure as bright as I can without blowing highlights ... here's the difficult part with video since you want some room left in case you are flying into a brighter framing. I'm likely too dark in exposure though.

I'm gonna try read up on the 60 fps vs 30 fps ... I did a quick test yesterday and it didn't seem to affect noise much or at all. Once again, thanks.

Best, Björn

I find that shooting in D-Log is a waste of time 500 iso is poor on this sensor - D Cinelike gives good results straight out of the camera and seems to perform best (noise wise) at 30 fps. It's very easy to over process the file though as (if it's anything like the still images) there is a degree of correction automatically applied by way of an embedded profile.

I would def get away from D-log at locked in 500ISO Thats just dumb on DJI's part to lock that like that. D-Cine has been awesome for me. Only use 60fps if you are going to slow your fast footage with a lot of movement some.

Reactions: bjornjarnankar
Many of the LUTS i have seem to be design for a more LOG source material but I agree ... the new ISO 500 log is unusable. I tried what's been said in this thread and had much much better results. Thanks.

PS. I'm using -1,-1,-1 at the moment.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20