No user serviceable parts visible.

Reaction score
Am I the only one who has noticed that the ESCs are part of the main board in there? And what looks like the FC is soldered in? How would one service this thing themselves if say an ESC needed replacement? I for one wouldn't want to send this thing in for easy stuff that was at one time user serviceable. Especially considering DJI service as we know it.

Are they turning into an Apple? Or a Samsung Galaxy S6? This is looking like a deal breaker to me unless someone can convince me otherwise.
DSC02161.jpg

You're spot on..

Motors, GPS, compass/gear, maybe a couple of things hanging off the bottom but, yep, the eco-system is closing.

More photographer than hobbyist centric.

On the plus side, the ESCs are much more sophisticated, each utilizing a TI controller chip that can detect over-current and over-voltage situations, so hopefully won't break down as much. The TI chips are the big wide ones with pins only on 2 sides.

I'm wondering how many people who pre ordered the P3 cancelled their order after seeing these pictures.
I pre ordered but I'm really starting to think idle I should cancel

I think you have to weigh the pros and cons. I would suspect that the failure rate of the Phantom 3 will be far lower than the Phantom 2. While it is certainly more difficult to fix, hopefully the likelihood of having to fix it will be proportionally far lower. The ESC design is far more sophisticated this time around. Also, there are far fewer connections and solder points. It should be far less prone to failure.

I would take not having to fix something at all over having to fix it, but fix it easily.

Reactions: claws
It's all about the money, more surface mount and less modular components make for a streamlined assembly process with less workers needed. Also one PC board and not several. Also from a durability standpoint this design should stand up better. Here's hoping the new ESC Ti chips are more robust than the previous ones, although I never experienced a failure on my P2V. This does suck for those that like to mod or tinker with their stuff. And as a long time HAM radio enthusiast and self professed 'Gadget' guy I fall into that group, but on the other hand I do love to 'Just' fly.

You can also see the LED's are melted into the shell. Maybe it is consider part of the shell if replacement is required.

Easier to fix - just replace the motherboard! Costs more to fix, though....

It's visible in the photo.

Appears to be similar to the other latching types.

I'm wondering how many people who pre ordered the P3 cancelled their order after seeing these pictures.
I pre ordered but I'm really starting to think idle I should cancel

Just one of the reasons i canceled, no serviceable parts its back to the factory and thats it, i much prefer the modular design of the P2, your back up and running in a few days if anything breaks, plus love the go pro 2.7k.

Easier to fix - just replace the motherboard! Costs more to fix, though....
Not easier I don't think. One ESC goes. Have to unsolder everything. Replace the motherboard (can't even guess-timate $$). Resolder everything. So lets replace the whole motherboard that is 99% operational. I see it as sending it back to them, they refurb it as needed. Good luck with that. They will prob replace it with a refurbed one most of the time. I am not ok with that. Simpler for them but not for us. Would much prefer modular approach I think.

I'm not sure why it's a "deal breaker" unless someone is just looking for problems with the Phantom 3 to convince others against it for some reason.

Reactions: Alex Kiritsis
Depends on your approach and aspirations.

If you just take pics you don't care probably.

If you want to tinker than there's less for you to play with.

They'll [ESCs] have to prove their robustness cause something you could have fixed yourself is either not going to be an option or get pricey and time-consuming by sending to DJI.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic