No user serviceable parts visible.

It looks pretty good to me, a properly designed solution not a bunch of generic components soldered in.
I am really on the fence on this one. It kind of reminds me of my flat screen LCD TV that I recently repaired myself. Manufacturers have gone to individual circuit boards that provide different functions that you just replace. A power board, a motherboard, and other boards and such that power the backlights and interface to the panel itself. Well the power board and motherboard are readily available to the consumer and are the most frequent failure points. Easy peasy, separate and less expensive $100-200 replacement parts, not $500 multi-function boards.

Pre production models....
Pre production models....

That's all I can say at this point till we get the ready for primetime models.
All I want to do is fly take photos and make some money down the road.

I would prefer a modular design for all the reasons everyone has identified, but that is not even close to near enough to make me not buy a P3P! I can still get under the hood of my +v2...

I would prefer a modular design for all the reasons everyone has identified, but that is not even close to near enough to make me not buy a P3P! I can still get under the hood of my +v2...
Never know what the final model will look like. It may be easy to swap out the board and cost effective. Like light bulbs, you replace one in the room and then next week another one goes. Sometimes it's easier to replace all of them at once.

There's nothing cobbled or thrown together in the photos.
That's what you're going to get.

Any component level changes won't be readily noticable.

If you pop the top, the warranty is now void.
From and end user point of view, I can see why - DJI believes its a perfect system and does not require modding. I don't have a problem provided the P3 has no problem(s).

I am satisfying my tinker-addiction on my +V2.....still fun to fly and shoot with

If you pop the top, the warranty is now void.
From and end user point of view, I can see why - DJI believes its a perfect system and does not require modding. I don't have a problem provided the P3 has no problem(s).

This is DJI we are talking about. It will have problems. So if you need to replace a motor within the warranty period, you will have to send it in. The user will not be able to do anything that requires getting inside the bird. Wow am I going to wait quite a while on purchasing this one. Looking forward to the forum threads when this thing is released and early adopters start the beta testing.

This is DJI we are talking about. It will have problems. So if you need to replace a motor within the warranty period, you will have to send it in. The user will not be able to do anything that requires getting inside the bird. Wow am I going to wait quite a while on purchasing this one. Looking forward to the forum threads when this thing is released and early adopters start the beta testing.

I agree, I decided weeks ago to wait it out until some production units are in the field being tested by those more brave than I. Also I want to see more of what the competition is going to offer. I would rather spend more money on a better product and I fully expect that the GoPro bird will be exactly that, more expensive. I have two Phantoms to keep me busy flying and repairing so I am not in any hurry to lay my money on something that is only assumed to be more reliable. And yes if DJI continues to have 4-6 week minimum turnaround time then it is a deal breaker for me. DJI may not even offer critical replacement parts. Thanks but I will wait until the smoke clears. Maybe they are trying to get more Phantom owners to buy Inspire. Seems that way.

I wonder where the tipping point will be...

Yes the pure photog. sees this quad as a tool. Tools should be reliable and predictable.
But model aircraft fail. Operators fail (Even the experienced ones).

MR operators require additional skill sets or areas of understanding beyond what a photog. may already have like: aerodynamics (VRS, ground effect), regulation (NOTAM, NFZ, commercial), electronics (soldering, measurement), wireless (antennas, dBm, dBi, propagation, multi-path), sat. nav.(GPS, K-index, ), magnetic hazards, calibration, Naza programming (parameter set, etc.), meteorology, and on, on.

Lot's of Stuff!!!

And vice-versa for the non-photg/video guys coming in from an r/c aircraft only background (me).

Raise your hand if owning a Phantom has increased your technical knowledge and exposed you to things you never thought about before.

Achieving a fault-less flying camera for the masses is DJI's goal but will still require knowledge or awareness of many technologies.

Last edited:
image.jpg

Just one of the reasons i canceled, no serviceable parts its back to the factory and thats it, i much prefer the modular design of the P2, your back up and running in a few days if anything breaks, plus love the go pro 2.7k.

Too bad you're in UK, otherwise I might have almost considered swapping your ordered P3 for my P2H33D with the separate ESC boards and such.

I like the board, a better thought out design with more in-house components, which improves DJI bottom line, look at all the labor they save on assembly(and I could say something here about the cost of their labor but I won't). I prefer my P2 for serviceability, which the multiple units I've had, have replaced every component possible. But my flying has improved over the year and adding the fpv has helped with my flying, so now my main want for my flying is to see HD quality on my 10" screen. My old eyes need it, but the extra detail like power lines or small details for framing a picture/video is fantastic. Could keep the P2 and buy the lightbridge? Doesn't make sense price wise unless one had multiple types of drones. So P3 for me, gonna put my 40" HDTV computer screen on front on the golf cart, and see what real fpv is (just hope I don't kill any golfers, don't want to lose my membership)

Too bad you're in UK, otherwise I might have almost considered swapping your ordered P3 for my P2H33D with the separate ESC boards and such.

Do you know what my friend, i wish i had not cancelled i could have made a bit of money on my pre order. Talk about being slow out the gate :(

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers