No restrictions for flying in National Forests?

Reaction score
I found nothing to confirm this?
no restrictions for flying in National Forests? as of June 19 2015.

Can anyone point to this info so i can have a printed copy, I live right next to the Cleveland National Forest.
This would open up 600 plus acres for me.

Just did I'm not seeing anything stating as of June 19th 2015 are you?
No. Has something changed in the last two days?

That page specifically says "The U.S. Forest Service does not have the authority to establish any additional regulations regarding where UAS can or can’t be flown. Individuals and organizations that fly UAS on National Forest System lands must follow FAA guidance"

And then also links to this page.
http://www.fs.fed.us/science-technology/fire/unmanned-aircraft-systems/responsible-use

No. Has something changed in the last two days?

That page specifically says "The U.S. Forest Service does not have the authority to establish any additional regulations regarding where UAS can or can’t be flown. Individuals and organizations that fly UAS on National Forest System lands must follow FAA guidance"

And then also links to this page.
http://www.fs.fed.us/science-technology/fire/unmanned-aircraft-systems/responsible-use

Thank you very much for this, In another thread someone had mentioned as of June 19 2015. Now I see and understand. Were the date came from I have no idea other than the post.
In short I am happy I can take advantage of the area around me without harassment from rangers.

I truly I thought we could not, I see Parks are the ones... Hope I did not piss you off to much. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: envisionabove
I live in the Western North Carolina region , and was working on a movie set in the NFS off the Parkway and the Ranger told me not to get that drone out of my car, i was just there to catch the sunset after the shoot was over, I wish I had know this. Thanks for great info.

I live in the CNF and fly all the time and never drew any attention from the LEO trucks patrolling...and seems to be a popular destination for others to fly. The only issue by me is the low flying aircraft on the weekends and military. Seems like the national parks show up more as no fly areas.

Yeah in Colorado I fly in National Forest areas.. While I've not come across a Park Ranger, as far as I've read the only restriction is when there is a fire...

I've looked and never found any restrictions for National Forests. However, I suspect some rangers may tell you that you can't fly... just because it's their own opinions that you should not be able to.

Responsible Use | US Forest Service

Gives you some basic rules to follow (or not follow, whichever you prefer) which closely mirror the FAA guidelines with some additions like, as mentioned, the banning of flying on/over designated wilderness areas.

I found nothing to confirm this?
no restrictions for flying in National Forests? as of June 19 2015.

Can anyone point to this info so i can have a printed copy, I live right next to the Cleveland National Forest.
This would open up 600 plus acres for me.
Last I saw...Prohibited in Natl. Parks with exceptions per individual Park Supt. Aviation: Unmanned Aerial Systems | U.S. National Park Service

I haven't seen a specific blanket policy yet for Natl. Forests.

"This layer depicts areas within the boundaries of units of the National Park System. Launching, landing, or operating unmanned aircraft is prohibited on lands and waters administered by the National Park Service within these areas. More information about the location of units of the National Park System and the National Park Service drone ban is available on the website of each park area which can be found on www.nps.gov."

Via AirMap.io

PS: This site is very good for viewing different NFZ.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I live in the Western North Carolina region , and was working on a movie set in the NFS off the Parkway and the Ranger told me not to get that drone out of my car, i was just there to catch the sunset after the shoot was over, I wish I had know this. Thanks for great info.
I live here in Western North Caorlina and The Blue Ridge Parkway (BRP) is a No Fly Zone. Since the BRP is part of the National Parks System (NPS) it follows the rules of the NPS which does include banning flying from any NPS land. You did well to not try to fly from the Parkway.

You can check it on your maps as well. It takes a lot of red tape and hoops to fly on the Parkway "legally". We do Search & Rescue training from the BRP and it's mind boggling how many "approvals" we have to have to do this.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic