Night lights

Reaction score
Recommendations for a set of lights for the Phantom 3 standard to fly at night and are they easy to install

Are you looking for spot lights or strobe lights?

Lights that would make it FAA approve to fly legial. When it come to lights I am not familiar with this matter.

If you get the strobon Cree
There are mounts for it here:

That is interesting about the FAA requirement vs. the Transport Canada requirement in Canada... TC only states that lighting should be sufficient to spot the drone and determine its orientation... And the built in lights of the drone are sufficient for that.

I like my
Firehouse ARC lights

Can even see them in daytime. Get 2 with different colors for orientation
I took a quick look, but all the packs are 4 of kind, do you buy two packs. Can you charge all four of them at a time?

Rod

In that case, you'd need lights that are visible from at least 3 miles away. Here are some commonly used strobe lights:
And Lume Cube recently releases this anti-collision light:

View attachment 113356
Does anyone have any experience with the new Lume Cube's anti-collision lights compared to the brightness of the Firehouse ARC lights? They seem bulkier than the Firehouse / Strobon lights; though perhaps maybe more "aerodynamic" if that's really a concern for most flights under 40mph.

In that case, you'd need lights that are visible from at least 3 miles away. Here are some commonly used strobe lights:
And Lume Cube recently releases this anti-collision light:

View attachment 113356
Okay, I'm confused. I recently told somebody on the forum that you must have strobes that can be seen from at least three miles away to legally fly at night, and I was told that I was wrong. Is this just one of those things that people either believe it is a rule or don't believe it is a rule?

I recently told somebody on the forum that you must have strobes that can be seen from at least three miles away to legally fly at night, and I was told that I was wrong. Is this just one of those things that people either believe it is a rule or don't believe it is a rule?
14 CFR § 107.29 states the following:

"No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft system during periods of civil twilight unless the small unmanned aircraft has lighted anti-collision lighting visible for at least 3 statute miles. The remote pilot in command may reduce the intensity of the anti-collision lighting if he or she determines that, because of operating conditions, it would be in the interest of safety to do so."

That of course only applies to those people flying under Part 107.

For those people not flying under Part 107 (hobbyists), the law requires the aircraft to be flown within visual line of sight (VLOS) of the person operating the aircraft or within visual line of sight of a visual observer (VO) who is near the operator and able to communicate verbally. Attaching brighter lights would allow you to easily see the aircraft.

Keep in mind that the FAA has the authority to pursue enforcement action against people operating aircraft in a manner that they determine endangers the safety of the national airspace system (NAS). You could be liable if you harm other people and/or property even if you follow the hobby flying rules. Since attaching strobe lights (like those I linked above) would also allow other aircraft to see and avoid your aircraft from 3 miles away, it's probably in your best interest to do so.

Last edited:
14 CFR § 107.29 states the following:

"No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft system during periods of civil twilight unless the small unmanned aircraft has lighted anti-collision lighting visible for at least 3 statute miles. The remote pilot in command may reduce the intensity of the anti-collision lighting if he or she determines that, because of operating conditions, it would be in the interest of safety to do so."

That of course only applies to those people flying under Part 107.

For those people not flying under Part 107 (hobbyists), the law requires the aircraft to be flown within visual line of sight (VLOS) of the person operating the aircraft or within visual line of sight of a visual observer (VO) who is near the operator and able to communicate verbally. Attaching brighter lights would allow you to easily see the aircraft.

Keep in mind that the FAA has the authority to pursue enforcement action against people operating aircraft in a manner that they determine endangers the safety of the national airspace system (NAS). You could be liable if you harm other people and/or property even if you follow all of the rules above. Since attaching strobe lights (like those I linked above) would also allow other aircraft to see and avoid your aircraft from 3 miles away, it's probably in your best interest to do so.
Ok, that's what I thought. I'm going to get my part 107 as soon as I can, but until then I'll use a strobe light anyway because it seems safer like you said.

Can anyone recommend some lights to attach to my P3S for doing some light painting. They need to stay illuminated constantly, be able to easily change colours and be reasonably priced/available to Canada. I’m not looking for anti-collision lighting since the AC will be nearby in VLOS.

I checked the links above but some aren’t available in Canada and they all seem to be anti-collision lights.

Chris

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl