Night lighting

Are you looking for lights to make your Phantom visible at night or spotlights to see what's in front of the Phantom?

Actually I've been thinking alot about adding the required lights to my P3P now that night flying will be allowed in Canada.

Actually I've been thinking alot about adding the required lights to my P3P now that night flying will be allowed in Canada.

Polarpro do a good set of LED lights that either flash or remain steady on. I put the reds to the rear and the whites to the front. They clip on to each leg. That coupled with the Phantom strobe lights make it easy to see.

I think I put a picture up on one of my early posts on some modification I made. I fitted them to my P3S but really they are for the P3A or P, which I also have (P3A). Check back through my posts to see. Hope it helps.

Reactions: 3rdof5
Polarpro do a good set of LED lights that either flash or remain steady on. I put the reds to the rear and the whites to the front. They clip on to each leg. That coupled with the Phantom strobe lights make it easy to see.

I think I put a picture up on one of my early posts on some modification I made. I fitted them to my P3S but really they are for the P3A or P, which I also have (P3A). Check back through my posts to see. Hope it helps.
They look decent, can you confirm the battery doesnt interfere with the GPS at all? Never liked the idea of anything mounted on top.

I’ve used the polar pro lights for 2 years with no gps related issues whatsoever

Reactions: Astrix
I’ve used the polar pro lights for 2 years with no gps related issues whatsoever
Good to know, do you know if they are FAA approved (as in bright enough) for night flying? I would assume Canada would have similar requirements.

They look decent, can you confirm the battery doesnt interfere with the GPS at all? Never liked the idea of anything mounted on top.

No, I’ve never had any issues with GPS reception while using the Polar pro lights. If I can get into my ‘Shed Quarters’ tonight I will take some better pictures of them if you like ?

No, I’ve never had any issues with GPS reception while using the Polar pro lights. If I can get into my ‘Shed Quarters’ tonight I will take some better pictures of them if you like ?
Yes please.

Yes please.

Sorry for the delay, I managed to get into my Shed this morning. Here’s a few pictures:

IMG_1012.jpg

IMG_1011.jpg

IMG_1002.jpg

IMG_1004.jpg

IMG_1007.jpg

IMG_1008.jpg

IMG_1009.jpg

IMG_1010.jpg

I’m no ‘David Bailey’ but I hope these help.

Last edited:
Those are excellent thank you!!! I still find it amazing that the battery doesnt interfere with GPS. looks to be completely covering it!

Trust me ... works absolutely fine with no issues [emoji106][emoji4]

Trust me ... works absolutely fine with no issues [emoji106][emoji4]
I trust you :) Now to try and find them in Canada, $49.95 US on their site, who knows what shipping would be, $149.99 on Amazon!!!! Crazy!!!

I trust you :) Now to try and find them in Canada, $49.95 US on their site, who knows what shipping would be, $149.99 on Amazon!!!! Crazy!!!

Yes they are pricey, I found mine in Germany and they shipped to the UK for £4. I’ll keep an eye out for some for you also, I’ll let you know. [emoji106]

Good to know, do you know if they are FAA approved (as in bright enough) for night flying? I would assume Canada would have similar requirements.
Sorry no I don't. They are pretty bright though - you could argue that your VLOS is better at night with these on than in the day. I can see the UAV from a long way off at night. Good luck!

Reactions: Astrix and 3rdof5
If you are going to put lights on it for night flight, should it not conform to the lighting of aviation? ie red on right, green on left?

Reactions: LARA images
If you are going to put lights on it for night flight, should it not conform to the lighting of aviation? ie red on right, green on left?
Is it required by law? No.

Would it be helpful for you personally? Perhaps.

Depending on where you are I guess... Night lighting is required by law in Canada with their new regulations... But I haven't found anywhere where it explains what is exactly required.

EDIT:
Just found the regulations.. I guess it doesnt say anything about color: 901.39 (1) No pilot shall operate a remotely piloted aircraft system during the night unless the remotely piloted aircraft is equipped with position lights sufficient to allow the aircraft to be visible to the pilot and any visual observer, whether with or without night-vision goggles, and those lights are turned on.

Last edited:
I have four of these Firehouse Technology "ARC" High Intensity Cree LED Strobe Lights. Two white in the front and red and green in the rear. They are FAA compliant for night flying, small, feather light weight at only 5 gr. each, very bright, rechargeable and no wiring needed:
Drone UAS UAV Quadcopter LED Strobe Light

These mounts on eBay are perfect for the Firehouse strobes. No sticky tape and snap on and off without scratching. Tilted at 45 degree angles at each leg gives 360 degree coverage. Here's the eBay link. They can also be duplicated on a 3D printer:
Firehouse Technologies Arc & Arc II Strobe Mount for DJI Phantom 4 Pro + P3S | eBay

I fly with these all the time, even during the day. In winter gray skies, these make tracking the P4P easy. They don't interfere with maneuverability because they are so light. Cost is around $200 for 4 strobes and 4 mounts, but worth every penny to be able to easily see and track the drone.

I also have two Lume Cubes for spotlights. They are great but weigh 12 oz. and they do make the controls a bit sluggish.

Firehouse Strobes.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT