night flying waiver

Ok I think I found the right stuff to resolve those questions above:

Commercial UAS Operations under Part 107
Webinar Question Recap

This single question helps to answer part of the confusion:
145. I registered as a hobbyist and then a commercial, what happens to my hobby registration?
a. Nothing. You can have one sUA registered both as a hobby and as a commercial aircraft. You could have two registration numbers on it. Remember, that while a commercial registration would satisfy a hobby flight, a hobby registration would not satisfy a commercial flight.

Webinar Question Recap

145. I registered as a hobbyist and then a commercial, what happens to my hobby registration?
a. Nothing. You can have one sUA registered both as a hobby and as a commercial aircraft. You could have two registration numbers on it. Remember, that while a commercial registration would satisfy a hobby flight, a hobby registration would not satisfy a commercial flight.
thanks, BigAl. I knew we had wrung this out before. Glad you found the material. Occasionally, a government agency actually makes sense

Reactions: BigAl07

Webinar Question Recap

thanks, BigAl. I knew we had wrung this out before. Glad you found the material. Occasionally, a government agency actually makes sense

The link above does not work for me. But the post does still not give me any definitive proof that I can fly my commercially registered drone at night with out a Daylight Ops Waiver.

If you have written proof, I would love to see it :D

I quoted from the FAA webinar (it's in writing) where Commercial registration does satisfy hobby flights but hobby registration does not satisfy Commercial flights. That's not my words but a direct quote from the FAA liaison.

PM me your email and I'll send you the transcripts (provided from Kevin Morris with the FAA) of the webinar. If you still don't believe it then there not much more I can do to help you out other than what I suggested and have your FAA guy contact Kevin Morris so he can provide the clarification.

Reactions: N42742
Here just watch the Webinar and you can hear exactly how it was said:

FAA: Myths vs Facts Webinar

I think post #19 has the link where you Register then it automatically starts the recorded version of it for you to watch (listen to).

Here just watch the Webinar and you can hear exactly how it was said:

FAA: Myths vs Facts Webinar

I think post #19 has the link where you Register then it automatically starts the recorded version of it for you to watch (listen to).
Not to keep throwing oil on what should be a dead fire, but I posted the following question to the FAA on their webpage: "I have my Part 107 certificate and my sUAS is registered. I know that I can still fly under the hobby rules if I decide that a flight will not be commercial and then follow those recommendations. Can I also fly this same bird under the 'hobby flier' rules?". Just got this reply :
"Thank you for your inquiry. Yes you can, provided you follow all the hobby requirements when flying for hobby purposes -- including contacting all airports within five miles of the area of operation, maintaining visual line-of-sight at all times, and giving way to manned aircraft.

Regards,
FAA UAS Integration Office
[email protected]
Unmanned Aircraft Systems"
Seems pretty definitive to me.

Richard R that would be pretty definitive for sure.

Not to keep throwing oil on what should be a dead fire, but I posted the following question to the FAA on their webpage: "I have my Part 107 certificate and my sUAS is registered. I know that I can still fly under the hobby rules if I decide that a flight will not be commercial and then follow those recommendations. Can I also fly this same bird under the 'hobby flier' rules?". Just got this reply :
"Thank you for your inquiry. Yes you can, provided you follow all the hobby requirements when flying for hobby purposes -- including contacting all airports within five miles of the area of operation, maintaining visual line-of-sight at all times, and giving way to manned aircraft.

Regards,
FAA UAS Integration Office
[email protected]But
Unmanned Aircraft Systems"
Seems pretty definitive to me.

I contacted my local FAA FSDO and was told the complete opposite.

Like most organizations, everyone has an opinion. You have a pretty definitive opinion of one guy manning the help desk. :D The FAA has Part 107 rules in writing, and that writing says that you can not fly at night without a Daylight Opps waiver. I don't think hearsay from a anonymous help desk staffer, will trump the written rules when the excrement hits the fan

Still looking for some written rules

It's painfully obvious you just don't want to believe what so many others are trying to point out to you. That's fine we will just have to agree to disagree on this one.

Fact of the matter is the FAA has appointed Kevin Morris to be our sUAS "interrogator" with the FAA and if you don't want to go by what he's saying that's your prerogative. End of discussion.

uav-night-ops.jpg

I’m a noob at this so I want to make sure I’m understanding this thread correctly. If I’m flying my phantom as a hobbyist I am free to fly at night without doing anything special, but once I get 107 certified I have to get a waiver to fly at night? That’s only if I am flying commercially though? If certified but the flight is purely recreational, you still don’t need a waiver because your flying as a hobbyist at the time? Is that right?

I’m a noob at this so I want to make sure I’m understanding this thread correctly. If I’m flying my phantom as a hobbyist I am free to fly at night without doing anything special, but once I get 107 certified I have to get a waiver to fly at night? That’s only if I am flying commercially though? If certified but the flight is purely recreational, you still don’t need a waiver because your flying as a hobbyist at the time? Is that right?

Yes this is correct. Hobbyist can fly at night but you'll want to make sure the UAS is well illuminated. Even though your are "legally" able to fly at night without the waiver you want to error on the side of caution and make sure you have more than the factory LEDs on the aircraft IMHO.

Reactions: Nmbr1stunna80
Yes this is correct. Hobbyist can fly at night but you'll want to make sure the UAS is well illuminated. Even though your are "legally" able to fly at night without the waiver you want to error on the side of caution and make sure you have more than the factory LEDs on the aircraft IMHO.

Thank you, guess it’s time to get some extra lights to put on my phantom lol

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94