NFZ wrong ????

It's my understanding that flying into an NFZ is like hitting an imaginary wall, that the drone can't go through. Not a drone killing event, like some posters are saying.

It's my understanding that flying into an NFZ is like hitting an imaginary wall, that the drone can't go through. Not a drone killing event, like some posters are saying.

That's true but if you're "inside" the DJI No Fly Zone you won't be allowed to start the motors and take off.

Reactions: AndrewCCM
So don't update the firmware, perhaps?
EXACTLY. The NFZ restrictions will only get worse. You should have STOP UPDATING when you got that drone. Seems like everyone updates thinking they have a hidden problem, otherwise why would DJI release new firmware? Or they want some new whiz-bang intelligent flight mode for free. Nothing is free, you pay the price by getting stuff you don't want, and now it's too late, because DJI started restricting going back to previous versions, as previously allowed. I'm still flying firmware from May 2017, ver 1.3.509. This version provides the ability to turn off all that stuff using the hack, even the 1640' (500M) altitude limit. I can fly anywhere, but it still tells me when I approach NFZs so I know the boundary.

I have not be notified of an up date for months . i do know it has not effected my flight and only seemed to show up as i landed . still i would hate for it to auto land my drone while flying over the lake . no notams in the area and miles from the nearest place where i could not fly and that would be yellowstone . there is an airport in west yellowstone but that's 15 miles away . like i mentioned i flew here last year dozens of flights with out issues . i really think dji has many mistakes in their nfz database and if it crashes my drone it would be their responsibility but mine to prove and most likely just end up losing a drone . just makes me nervous to fly . on flight 186 with out major issues and would hate to lose drone over bad nfz database installed in my drone by the Chinese
Where did the Chinese get the bad NFZ data? Uninformed foreigners.

Where did the Chinese get the bad NFZ data? Uninformed foreigners.

I'd bet they acquired a list of active (or maybe even inactive airports/airstrips) from the FAA, more likely uninformed Americans. Someone keeps a private non-used air strip registered, how is DJI or anyone else for that matter going to know. Federal or State Parks would be a bit more difficult to determine due to boundaries constantly in flux as abutting lands are acquired and added to parks.

ok so here i am flying in a RV park outside of Yellowstone park . roughly 15 miles away . flew here all last yr . now this ear i fly same area no issues except i land after a flight and i get these close to NFZ warnings . nothing has changed and no where near a no fly zone . stick in another battery and go for another flight . no issues no warnings until i land and again get the NFZ warnings . is there anything that can be done . I think DJI has messed things up on the drone i paid for. there system detecting NFZ's is inaccurate and does not work like it should . anyone else have this ? i think i need to make a dreaded call to DJI and see up's up .
DJI has blocked all of my city of Columbus, Georgia. We have a military base South of us that DJI created a 30km restricted area which not only covered the base but all of two cities nearby. The only option we now have is to get permission from the base and DJI will give us a temporary 90 day "unblock", which disables the multiple flight modes. We have two options - buy a different manufacturer's drone or hack the firmware. We have pleaded with DJI to correct their mistake, but for the last year at least we have had no relief.

your ONLY hope is to hack it and be done with their STUPID NFZ's once and for all!
It is this kind of attitude/thinking that will bring down much more restrictive rules on the drone flying public. The flying universe is nearly infinitely large. We don't need to focus on where we can't fly when there are so many places we can fly. Let's keep it that way!

Reactions: N017RW
It is this kind of attitude/thinking that will bring down much more restrictive rules on the drone flying public. The flying universe is nearly infinitely large. We don't need to focus on where we can't fly when there are so many places we can fly. Let's keep it that way!
Unfortunately DJI has created No-Fly restrictions on areas that are legal to fly in some cases.

I am from Reading England, Near me I cannot take off near "Reading Prison". This place is a museum, and was last a prison 25 years ago.
I recently travelled 70 miles to the sea to shoot some sail boats at a particular location , (Near Hengisbury Head). Again the AC would not start because it was just inside the red circle. A local fisherman tells me the place hasn't been a prison for 20 years.

If DJI are going to impose restrictions on a machine that I brought back in 2015, they should ensure their database is correct.
The other answer is If it is working DON'T UPDATE.

I feel sorry for all the people that hit a nfz and had a force landing in the water. What a way to go.
I have experimented with this and it was with my mavic though and I had no forced landing. It just stoped when I hit the wall .
Could go up ,down or side to side or came back and had I stayed there might if I had it set not to RTH landed when the battery got low .
Is this what P4P's do ?
Just asking..

I have experimented with this and it was with my mavic though and I had no forced landing. It just stoped when I hit the wall .
Could go up ,down or side to side or came back and had I stayed there might if I had it set not to RTH landed when the battery got low .
Is this what P4P's do ?
Just asking..
Two things I experienced with my P4, was a Temporary NFZ in Panama City, which caught me by surprise. I have flown many times at my father in law's house. VIP's were at Tindal AFB. I did an auto take off and it wouldn't go any higher. I could fly around at 7 ft. just fine. lol The next day I could fly with no problem.

The next instance I was at a family member's house on the bay across from the base and was curious. It wouldn't even start.

My information was only second hand from some of the lengthy posts on this forum. One I recall was at Pensacola. It was a Mavic on the beach. He was doing a live Facebook to his friends with his brand new drone. He was clear to fly and went out 600 ft. At that point the mavic did a slow descent into the ocean. He had no way to stop it. The mass on that topic determined he hit a NFZ 600 ft. off the beach, which he neglected to notice. I thought, there has to be a better way? I felt bad for him on the money he lost.

It seems I have read many times that the drone would land when it came to a NFZ? I think that has been updated this year to, it just stops when it comes to a NFZ?

Reactions: dirkclod
OK I just wondered . I had read about someone getting behind one or something awhile back and just decided to try it. Small prison here in a NFZ and is small so I put mine in back of my truck I take off from some of the time and got inside the circle and powered on but would not spin up.
IMG_0246.jpg So with it on I pulled up and got out of the red and up it went IMG_0247.jpg .Now I stayed low and walked with it to the circle and it just stoped and would do as I said in other post . Seemed like I could have flew around it but didn't try cause if I had lost contact on the side or behind it it would not have RTH or was the way I saw it . Now it was a small circle and you can see the prison here from the line
IMG_0248.jpg . Not having the P4P I just wondered if it did different and sorry I got this OT .
Thanks for the reply .
0ROJYyg.png

Reactions: BigAl07
I know this is an oldish thread but I can now attest to this notion that a P4P *can* suddenly decide to force land out of the blue if it suddenly thinks it’s inside a no-fly zone. I was Flying in an area only a few thousand feet from my house. Fly it all the time. I was flying home with fairly low batt. Suddenly it starts autolanding over a somewhat wooded area. I thought it was low batt autoland. But pushing throttle up did not have any affect. I could not hold it aloft. It descended into the trees. Review of the log shows two autoland warning 16 and 13 secs ahead of autoland initiation and simultaneous to autoland beginning, an NFZ notice popped up. The verbose log shows the status of “airportAvoid.”

In the interest of full disclosure, there is an inactive seaplane strip shown out in the lake. I do get the “use caution” messages but not NFZ. Fly the area all the time. Besides the spurious NFZ autoland initiation was over land after having LEFT the area over the lake. Very disconcerting. If this happened over water it’s bye bye birdie.

I have never had a problem with NFZ. If I could figure out my editor and keep my computer running smooth I’d be Tech enough, I’d hack my P4. I always check before I fly. I would like to be the one that says whether I fly or not. I still believe a foreign enmity has no right to tell me in my own country what I can and cannot do. If they desire, they just change the rules mid stream. It’s stupid anyway, if somebody wants to fly, they will.

I 100% agree with you on this issue. It is the pilot's responsibility to insure they are not violating airspace regulations. In my mind there are a couple of fundamental problems with having a company (even more so a foreign company) taking on the right of controlling who can fly in what airspace in the U.S.

First, I don't think it's their right to exercise control over airspace in another country. That right belongs to the People and those they entrust to exercise that right (Congress and the FAA).

Second, if they take on that responsibility they should also take on some of the liability if/when they get it wrong and something bad happens as a result of it. I'm sure lawyers could have a field day with this but if a hobbyist buys a DJI drone believing the NFZ's prevent them from flying in controlled airspace that requires authorization, violate airspace that in fact requires authorization and something bad happens the company (in this case DJI) should bear some of the responsibility. I realize there may be legalize in the owners manual about "the pilot is ultimately responsible..." but if someone could sue a fast food restaurant after spilling hot coffee on themselves and win I don't think the legalize is a foolproof means of absolving DJI of all responsibility.

This may not be a third but the idea that I have to get FAA authorization to fly in certain airspace (no problem with that) and then have to get additional authorization from an entity that really should not have no say in the matter just rubs me the wrong way. It's enough to have to deal with the increasing regulations of a nanny state and then on top of that have to deal with a nanny corporation...

O.k., I've done my venting for the day.

Last edited:
Reactions: jdelectric
I 100% agree with you on this issue. It is the pilot's responsibility to insure they are not violating airspace regulations. In my mind there are a couple of fundamental problems with having a company (even more so a foreign company) taking on the right of controlling who can fly in what airspace in the U.S.

First, I don't think it's their right to exercise control over airspace in another country. That right belongs to the People and those they entrust to exercise that right (Congress and the FAA).

Second, if they take on that responsibility they should also take on some of the liability if/when they get it wrong and something bad happens as a result of it.

It looks like DJI is getting airspace information that they use on their geofencing from an American company Precisionhawk.

Second, if they take on that responsibility they should also take on some of the liability if/when they get it wrong and something bad happens as a result of it. I'm sure lawyers could have a field day with this but if a hobbyist buys a DJI drone believing the NFZ's prevent them from flying in controlled airspace that requires authorization, violate airspace that in fact requires authorization and something bad happens the company (in this case DJI) should bear some of the responsibility. I realize there may be legalize in the owners manual about "the pilot is ultimately responsible..." but if someone could sue a fast food restaurant after spilling hot coffee on themselves and win I don't think the legalize is a foolproof means of absolving DJI of all responsibility.

This may not be a third but the idea that I have to get FAA authorization to fly in certain airspace (no problem with that) and then have to get additional authorization from an entity that really should have no say in the matter just rubs me the wrong way. It's enough to have to deal with the increasing regulations of a nanny state and then on top of that have to deal with a nanny corporation...

O.k., I've done my venting for the day.
You are right. If DJI wasn't involved, there would be no problem. It seems most people don't want to take responsibility and would rather other enmities do it for them. That agency than can be the one that we can blame. People want to play and not be responsible for anything any more.
"Yes, it's called hot coffee. Why did you put it between your legs while driving stupid!" Our non American friends may not understand that statement?

Reactions: jdelectric

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.