Nexus 7 users Avoid DJI go Upgrade

Reaction score
Do Not Upgrade to the "DJI go before Phantom 4 version". It IS NOT compatible with our Nexus 7 2013 tablets. I foolishly made that mistake and it was a LOT of work to resolve the problem. A problem that DJI support cannot or will not be ANY help with. They were useless!!! Their best suggestion was to buy a another phone.... They did supply a list! LOL Not funny!

If you did here is the fix. First find the download for your previous version. For me it was 2.8.0. I found it here at APK4Fun. Search for your needed version.

Backup your files from your N7 to your computer. Uninstall the DJI bad version from N7. Transfer the correct version from your computer to the downloads folder on the N7. Then I used a file manager to find that file and install the APK file.

In my case none of my flight records or video were deleted and merged properly with the "new" install. Everything is now back and correct to where it was before I *uc*ed up....

Why DJI would allow a upgrade to a NON-Compatible device is just part of why we have such issues with their upgrades. Yes it was my fault for not following "Known" warnings about not upgrading but after driving 200miles to fly and take photo's and video for a friend. Well, I was willing to risk it. Ended up installing on their phone and getting some of what was needed.... Advice: DON'T upgrade! Wrong time of day; shadows on dock.

Reactions: RodPad
Hey ugly guy, haven't seen you in a while. :eek:

I think about your location every time a hear about a fire in California. ;)

You fly up in the air until you get a satellite lock, OMG.

You probably heard about the fire in my area. :rolleyes:
Eagle Creek Fire - Wikipedia
Judge orders Eagle Creek fire starter to pay over $36M, acknowledges teen can't pay full sum
What a stupid event, I think the whole group should of got in trouble from some of the witness statements.

Dead animals on the freeway and the railroad tracks, etc.
What a man made tragedy.

Your post should help a lot out!

thumb-up-terminator pablo M R.jpg

Rod

Do Not Upgrade to the "DJI go before Phantom 4 version". It IS NOT compatible with our Nexus 7 2013 tablets. I foolishly made that mistake and it was a LOT of work to resolve the problem. A problem that DJI support cannot or will not be ANY help with. They were useless!!! Their best suggestion was to buy a another phone.... They did supply a list! LOL Not funny!

If you did here is the fix. First find the download for your previous version. For me it was 2.8.0. I found it here at APK4Fun. Search for your needed version.

Backup your files from your N7 to your computer. Uninstall the DJI bad version from N7. Transfer the correct version from your computer to the downloads folder on the N7. Then I used a file manager to find that file and install the APK file.

In my case none of my flight records or video were deleted and merged properly with the "new" install. Everything is now back and correct to where it was before I *uc*ed up....

Why DJI would allow a upgrade to a NON-Compatible device is just part of why we have such issues with their upgrades. Yes it was my fault for not following "Known" warnings about not upgrading but after driving 200miles to fly and take photo's and video for a friend. Well, I was willing to risk it. Ended up installing on their phone and getting some of what was needed.... Advice: DON'T upgrade! Wrong time of day; shadows on dock.

If this is correct, then thanks for the heads-up, but I've read so many posts from Nexus 7 users in the past saying that a DJI Go update messed up my device/isn't compatible/won't work properly/ after an update to a Nexus 7 (Gen 2, 2013 - I have one) that I've become a bit blase about it.

It doesn't surprise me at all that DJI were next to no help for you as the easiest way out for them is to simply tell you to buy/try another device. They're really not prepared to waste their time trying to sort out what is, after all, an ancient and aging device problem.

The procedure you used is often referred to as 'sideloading' Search Results for Query: sideloading | DJI Phantom Drone Forum and it's a relatively commonly used remedy for resolving any unforeseen problems which might appear after a DJI Go update or for installation onto a (according to Google Play Store) 'non-compatible device' and it's not that complex to do (if you know about it).

Anyway - thanks again for the warning - very kind of you to post it. I'll check it out and see what I find.....

Last edited:
Reactions: RodPad
@RodPad

Thanks! Don't know what they were thinking.... Fires that close make me want to build a shelter so I can protect my home as long as possible before having to save myself. If one gets going here there's no way out. HWY 9 will clog almost instantly....

I grew up in Santa Rosa and they were devastated there. My sister had to sleep in the middle of a field to feel safe. It got close to her in Glen Ellen but the ranch was safe. She was on her own for days!

Best of luck to everyone for tonight's events and have a safe 4th! Keep up the great advice Rod! If I get up north I'll give you a shout out.

@Steve7777

It was my fault for being in a hurry. Still no excuse for an update messing up a non-compatible device! For me the 3.1.38 version, after installation, would ask for your name, password, and proof you weren't a "robot" captcha. Problem was there was NO place to enter the response.

Before I fixed my Nexus 7 I bought a new Samsung 8" tablet to try out (Costco). Never even got past looking! It was no where near the ease of use or light weight N7. Only advantage I could see was the card slot. Took it back the next morning. It did however prompt me to dive into fixing/sideloading my Nexus 7 2013!!! No offense to Samsung users I just wasn't impressed.

Thanks for posting the sideloading link!

To top off my experience DJI sent me a "How did we do" email. Ha!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl