Newbie question on what to do with a flyaway.

Reaction score
Okay, I have 6 or 7 flights under my belt now and loving it. If I ever do discover my Phantom not responding to my commands, what do I do and in what order? 1) Hit RTH 2) Switch to ATTI and try to fly it back 3) Switch off controller and hope for a lost signal RTH. I would appreciate your thoughts.

Also, I tested RTH today and it was going to land me about 6 feet from where I took off. Is this within specs? I had 16 sats before flight and wind was blowing 20 MPH.

Okay, I have 6 or 7 flights under my belt now and loving it. If I ever do discover my Phantom not responding to my commands, what do I do and in what order? 1) Hit RTH 2) Switch to ATTI and try to fly it back 3) Switch off controller and hope for a lost signal RTH. I would appreciate your thoughts.

Also, I tested RTH today and it was going to land me about 6 feet from where I took off. Is this within specs? I had 16 sats before flight and wind was blowing 20 MPH.
First, the word flyaway (so far) seems to be a concept that doesn't apply to the P3.
Even situations that could be mistaken for a flyaway are quite rare.
DJI have done a good job on making the P3 very reliable in flight.

The P3 Tx has a very long range - under good conditions people have had control and video at 10 kilometres but this can be less in urbanised areas.
In your hypothetical scenario, I'd vote for 1 - initiate RTH and see what happens.

RTH at 6 feet is within the precision that the GPS system gives.
Normally there's no need to let the Phantom land under RTH.
You can cancel at any time and resume control.
This is a good idea because you can see a lot better than the Phantom to pick a good landing spot.

Reactions: ELHEAPO
Best to try the RTH in advance to see what to expect..
It's noteworthy that it doesn't react immediately, and if you hit the button a second time you might cancel it..
Turning the controller off is another option which should bring it home.
Also the return journey is at modest speed.

It's usually best to take back control and land manually once it's within close range.

You can try ATTI mode but again this is best tried close at hand first.
If it's windy the phantom can soon seem to take off without GPS.
You have to be compensating for that all the time - for example a forward movement will become a curve due to crosswind unless you introduce a little sideways force against the wind.

I tend to just panic, then start to remember how much I told the wife it all cost - $400 sounds about right, right?

In truth I only had one scary incident with the P3 if you do not count the compass error over water, that was a complete signal loss and it came right home. Best thing to do is not panic. If you were low at the time consider trying to get some altitude so not to hit anything then see whats happening on the app, try RTH or ATTI mode. Keep calm and breath.

Little bit off topic.
Last week I decided to try the RTH. It took some time before the phantom responded and than everything went according to the book.
But the landing was very hard. It jumped up once before it came to rest.
Next time I will manual land it!

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers