Newbie-- Phantom 2 FPV setup

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Just got a beaten P2 from a friend with no camera/gimbal or even remote (the original remote got wet and damaged), inside of the case is only the main board, the phantom flight controller, gps, esc’s, and motors… that’s it, forget about rx/tx circuit boards, zenmuse, can cables, etc. I managed to set it up using my Spektrum DX9 Tx (I’m a regular rc plane pilot), it flew last weekend with no problems….my next project now is to add FPV capabilities to this Phantom 2, unfortunately I have no FVP experience so I’m not sure what exactly I need to get for a basic FPV setup (no big budget), my main objective is just to have a drone able to take some videos of other RC flying aircrafts within half mile at a reasonable video quality. So far I have this in my mind as part of the “grocery list”:

Camera: Mobious in mind only based on the cost/weight/reviews.
Camera gimbal: Not sure if this is really necessary based on my project’s objective.
Video TX : Apparently the ImmersionRC 5.8GHz 600mW A/V Tx is very popular
Antennas: SpiroNET Omni – 5.8GHz CP also kind of popular
Video RX: Have a dilemma between the fatsharks and headplay, found a lot of disagreements on these two (bulky but better image versus light/portable but with no major quality).
On Screen Display: To me this will be a must because of the crucial info (battery level, distance, etc) available all the time and on sight, an iOSD Mini is what looks like the logic solution.
DVR: Hobbyking ($30)
Miscellaneous Cables needed: I’m lost here again….duno what is compatible with what.

As I said, I’m not looking for any professional image capture platform, this is a low budget project for me, my main concerns are more related to the connections (I noticed the main boar has a bunch of mini connectors available), also the space inside the P2 to achieve this setup and battery consumption.

Any comment/observation related to the mentioned components, possible problems, ways to go, best place to get these parts, etc. will be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Do you see any wires poking out the bottom of the Phantom 2? If so you have the pigtail for FPV and makes things easier. If not you will need to open the shell and probably need to tap into the power terminals. Basically, you need to get power from the Phantom to the video Tx, then the video signal from the camera to the Video Tx.

You will need to search and research to get a full understanding and a wire diagram. Ummmmmm also, I'm getting ready to sell my spare Phantom 2 with ALL the goodies if you are interested ;-)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4