Newbie after first flight...questions about Course Lock

Reaction score
HI Guys,

I picked up a second hand Phantom 2 with a Zenmuse H32D a few days ago. The Phantom is absolutely brand new. Long story about the Phantom being a DJI replacement after the original dropped out of the sky and smashed to pieces and the owner did not use this replacement unit. He bought another as he needed it for commercial purposes and could not wait on DJI replacing. The gimbal is a lying squint as DJI wouldn't replace the gimbal. I'm dealing with that issue having read other posts on the forum. Also my elderly father dropped the remote onto concrete and broke the S2 toggle switch. Will repair that this week. Unfortunate, an accident unlucky but repairable.

My questions are all related to trying to avoid fly aways. I did fly the drone for a few minutes yesterday but wasn't too happy about a few things...so landed and came home to have lunch and read up. Then my Dad dropped the remote so until I get a toggle switch...the skies are safe. So to be clear, the remote was working whilst I was flying.

I set limits for distance and height to 25m in the assistant software. I didn't go above 5m in height, but the 25m limit away from me seemed to work OK. I moved away from the home point about 10 m...and the drone wouldn't travel any further than 10-15m or so in that direction.

I was in Phantom mode not NAZA mode. I thought Phantom M was an idiots means of flying? If that is the case...i would have thought that Course Lock would be active default out of the box. Is it?

I did not think that Course Lock was activated. I did rotate the drone. I had to reverse my remote inputs to get the drone back. I do not want to risk a fly away so soon after buying this unit as you will understand.

Do you have to be in NAZA M to get the Course Lock to work? Looking at the Assistant software, it seems as though you have to activate IOC to get Course Lock to work? Is that the case?

I did calibrate the compass. I had all green LED's. I did see the 20 flashes, so I feel home point was set. To back this up, the 25m limit was working.

I did all firmware upgrades and advance calibrations after i flew yesterday...to remote and drone.

As I say, wasn't happy to fly without course lock and then wasn't sure that Home Lock would then work if i lost the drone. The usual beginners doubts really.

Re Course Lock set up, I did see a Youtube video showing a boot of the remote with S1 & S2, in the up position. Wait for the Home Point lock (20 flashes), then switch S2 to CL to get a green and amber alternate flashes. I didn't see those.

If someone could basically give me idiots guise on how to get Course Lock to work?

I wouldn't bother the forum if I could find a youtube video that tells me.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks

mark

****...I just found the answer in an other thread. I do need to fly NAZA M to get course lock.

Can someone tell me advantages/disadvantages of moving to NAZA M?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. If a mod wants me to delete this post i will.

mark

Yes, Naza Mode must be enabled - this is really just 'Normal Mode'.
Phantom Mode is just a restricted, or sub-set of, Naza Mode.

Yes IOC must also be enabled.

You will now need two sets of rapid greens to fly safely,
1st: Current heading locked for Course Lock operation,
2nd: GPS position fix for setting of Home Point once you take-off.

Course Lock does not have a 10m restriction intrinsically, that's only Home Lock.

Remember the distances used are from take-off point not the operator's location.

Thank you SO much N017RW for making that clear. I will be a lot happier heading out to fly again.

I will fix my toggle switch and try and get a flight in this week.

best!

mark

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl