New to Quads

Reaction score
Hello,

I am new to this forum as well as new to the world of quadcopters. I have been following the Phantom 1 prices and they have finally gotten to a reasonable price for me to possible bite on one. I was wondering if the Phantom 1 is worth the $350 price tag? Also, how bad is the fly away problem with these? I have seen several reports of fly aways but I have also seen many say they are mostly user error. Is the danger really that bad wit the Phantom 1 to have a fly away?

Thanks for the help!!

I have 2 P1 Phantoms. Got my first in April 2014 and the second in Jan of this year. No fly aways yet. Many of the problems people have had has been with the smart batteries. Of course pilot error plays a big part.Read your manual, take care of your batteries, learn to calibrate the compass correctly. Many still screw that up. Learn what the blinking lights mean. Get familiar with all aspects of the bird. $350 is a good price. I fly both of mine and have no problems. Still on original props. If you set it up correctly, it should serve you well. I put a Walkera G2D gimble on my latest one...$79 and a gopro camera. Takes good videos.

Reactions: climbnride58
I have 2 P1 Phantoms. Got my first in April 2014 and the second in Jan of this year. No fly aways yet. Many of the problems people have had has been with the smart batteries. Of course pilot error plays a big part.Read your manual, take care of your batteries, learn to calibrate the compass correctly. Many still screw that up. Learn what the blinking lights mean. Get familiar with all aspects of the bird. $350 is a good price. I fly both of mine and have no problems. Still on original props. If you set it up correctly, it should serve you well. I put a Walkera G2D gimble on my latest one...$79 and a gopro camera. Takes good videos.

Thank you so much for the informative reply. My main reason for getting a Phantom is to use my GoPro. I was looking at getting a Phantom 2 Vision (I think it was a Vision?) that had the camera preinstalled. I have seen these going for around $650 which is a good price from what i can see. But that price is just a bit too steep for me at the moment. Plus I have 2 GoPro cameras so I can put one of them to good use. I was wondering what gimble was good (and inexpensive) so thanks for adding that!

Now to decide if I want to pull the trigger!!!! Thanks again!!

When the P1 first came out, it was almost $700. I think $350 is a good price. That's why I got the second one. I buy from BH Photo. They have the P1 for $350 and a second flight battery and free 4 AA batteries with charger for transmitter and free shipping last time I checked.

When the P1 first came out, it was almost $700. I think $350 is a good price. That's why I got the second one. I buy from BH Photo. They have the P1 for $350 and a second flight battery and free 4 AA batteries with charger for transmitter and free shipping last time I checked.

WOW thanks!!! That deal is better than the eBay one I found (not used or refurbished but new)...however B&H charges me shipping from what I can tell...only $10 though. The extra battery alone is like $20-$30 so it seems worth it!

***EDIT***

However the NYS sales tax kills the deal for me! $30 tax!!!

I would be careful with ebay sellers. I would rather pay a bit more and buy from a reputable dealer. I have had good luck with BH as others have had. If you are new to flying you may consider using prop guards. You will probably want 3 or 4 batteries also. I would stay away from junk add ons.. Mine are stock and work fine. People are always buying cheap aftermarket props etc and then come on here complaining about their problems.

I would be careful with ebay sellers. I would rather pay a bit more and buy from a reputable dealer. I have had good luck with BH as others have had. If you are new to flying you may consider using prop guards. You will probably want 3 or 4 batteries also. I would stay away from junk add ons.. Mine are stock and work fine. People are always buying cheap aftermarket props etc and then come on here complaining about their problems.

I trust this seller. He has good feedback and his prices are reasonable. I don't mind paying a little more but with shipping & tax that brings the price to about $400...if I am going over $400 I might as well save a bit more and get the Vision 2...

I wouldn't mind upgrading to a newer type unit but all the smart battery problems turn me off. We'll see how the P3 is after people have had them for a while.

Hey Mikespe, WELCOME TO THE PARTY :)

Looks like Monte55 is answering your questions pretty darn well. I'll second everything he's said and add that I am really happy not to deal with the so called "SMART BATTERY" issues which the P2 folks are having.
I have to laugh a bit about the initial investment part though. It's like buying a boat in my case. But unlike some folks, my first set of props lasted a week or two, even with prop guards.

Fun city man, have a ball.

There's a link in my signature with some helpful info.

Here is the best way I know of to search for info within our forum:
https://cse.google.com/cse/publicurl?cx=014775389315664725445:ejku2ysgyhi

Hey Mikespe, WELCOME TO THE PARTY :)

Looks like Monte55 is answering your questions pretty darn well. I'll second everything he's said and add that I am really happy not to deal with the so called "SMART BATTERY" issues which the P2 folks are having.
I have to laugh a bit about the initial investment part though. It's like buying a boat in my case. But unlike some folks, my first set of props lasted a week or two, even with prop guards.

Fun city man, have a ball.

There's a link in my signature with some helpful info.

Here is the best way I know of to search for info within our forum:
https://cse.google.com/cse/publicurl?cx=014775389315664725445:ejku2ysgyhi

Thank you iflyin!!! Yes Monte has done a great job helping me with my questions...and as it turns out I just purchased the Phantom 1 for $350 (For anyone else who is interested in a good deal: http://www.ebay.com/itm/391103436378 ...and NO I am not affiliated with this seller). I am excited to try out my first Quad!!! I know some say I should start with those $60 quads first then work my way up. But the GPS is a no brainer for me (as long as I don't have a flyaway!!!) I forgot to order prop guards but I think my local hobby shop has them for $20 (I know online they are $15)....Thanks for all the help and I will probably be back with more questions!!!

If you use prop guards and then take them off later be sure to replace the original motor mount screws and not the ones that come with the prop guards which are longer. Using the prop guard motor mount screws without the prop guards will ruin your motors. It's a very common mistake many people make so I just wanted to give you a heads up on that.

Reactions: IflyinWY
If you use prop guards and then take them off later be sure to replace the original motor mount screws and not the ones that come with the prop guards which are longer. Using the prop guard motor mount screws without the prop guards will ruin your motors. It's a very common mistake many people make so I just wanted to give you a heads up on that.

Thanks Woody...I have read that somewhere & noted it

Thanks Monte55. I am also looking to buy my first quad. I am hoping to use it in my photography business. I can buy the P1 for $350, and have a GoPro to put on it. I have heard about the flyaway issues, and am a little concerned.
What do you think of the 3DR drones?

Thanks Monte55. I am also looking to buy my first quad. I am hoping to use it in my photography business. I can buy the P1 for $350, and have a GoPro to put on it. I have heard about the flyaway issues, and am a little concerned.
Don't know anything about them

Buy the P1 for $350! I bought one recently for $350 from the DJI site and have enjoyed it greatly. The GoPro works great on it; however, I found that using a GoPro thumbscrew with an appropriate hex nut allowed me to mount the camera tighter. I also use a box end wrench and the GoPro wrench to get it snug. Be careful not to over tighten if you use wrenches. I mount the GoPro directly to the P1 upside down. I was concerned about flyaway issues, but posters on this forum pointed out that many flyaways are frequently due to user error. And, it also occurred to me that lots of folks like to complain on forums. For every flyaway post you read about, I would imagine are countless untold stories of successful flights. Set altitude and radial limits in the software assistant and always keep an eye on the P1. Using home lock has helped me figure out my orientation a few times. You'll have a great time!

Buy the P1 for $350! I bought one recently for $350 from the DJI site and have enjoyed it greatly. The GoPro works great on it; however, I found that using a GoPro thumbscrew with an appropriate hex nut allowed me to mount the camera tighter. I also use a box end wrench and the GoPro wrench to get it snug. Be careful not to over tighten if you use wrenches. I mount the GoPro directly to the P1 upside down. I was concerned about flyaway issues, but posters on this forum pointed out that many flyaways are frequently due to user error. And, it also occurred to me that lots of folks like to complain on forums. For every flyaway post you read about, I would imagine are countless untold stories of successful flights. Set altitude and radial limits in the software assistant and always keep an eye on the P1. Using home lock has helped me figure out my orientation a few times. You'll have a great time!

Thanks for the tips Matt. I did purchased the P1 and it should be here next week. I also read about how it's mostly the people complaining that post on the forums or make Youtube videos.

My question for you is if you use the waterproof case with the GoPro how is the Jello effect? I have been looking at getting an inexpensive gimbal or at the very least a shock mount to help with stabilization. But if I can save a few bucks I will.

My next question for anyone is I read that the carbon fiber props are better for lift & durability. Can anyone recommend a set that aren't expensive?

Any other tips will be truly appreciated too!

Thanks for the tips Matt. I did purchased the P1 and it should be here next week. I also read about how it's mostly the people complaining that post on the forums or make Youtube videos.

My question for you is if you use the waterproof case with the GoPro how is the Jello effect? I have been looking at getting an inexpensive gimbal or at the very least a shock mount to help with stabilization. But if I can save a few bucks I will.

My next question for anyone is I read that the carbon fiber props are better for lift & durability. Can anyone recommend a set that aren't expensive?

Any other tips will be truly appreciated too!
I've only taken a few videos so far and have noticed Jello only once. It was windy that day, so that may have contributed to the Jello. Also, I did manage to tighten the mount to the P1 a bit after noticing the Jello. I try to tighten the mount to the P1 every few flight. I've read about users mounting the GoPro attachment to the P1 with sorbothane in-between the P1 and mount. I might try that, but thought that finding proper length screws could be a drag. I may try placing a small amount of sorbothane between the GoPro and the interior of the case if the Jello bothers me in future videos. I've no experience with carbon fiber props. I can tell you that the stock props are pretty durable. I had some bumps and one tree incident before I installed prop guards. Glad to hear you decided to buy a P1!

I just ordered one from B and H.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic