New to Drones, some noob questions

Thank you very much for the advice :)

One of the questions I was going to ask is if the draw fly feature would be practical/useful for this purpose so you answered that for me, thanks!!

In my opinion to draw/fly function works best when the drone is higher off the ground so that the line that is drawn is clear in terms of its geographical GPS positioning.

For your application I would use the TapFly ‘forward’ function. I would set the throttle response functions to their minimum so that you don’t over control the drone. The TapFly function will maintain altitude. You can then use the left throttle to adjust the course as needed (in a moderate way) as you go down the road. As before practice this in an open field first.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zaiforce
In my opinion to draw/fly function works best when the drone is higher off the ground so that the line that is drawn is clear in terms of its geographical GPS positioning.

For your application I would use the TapFly ‘forward’ function. I would set the throttle response functions to their minimum so that you don’t over control the drone. The TapFly function will maintain altitude. You can then use the left throttle to adjust the course is needed (in a moderate way) as you go down the road. As before practice this in an open field first.

Thanks man!

Just to address what I meant by this flight being a job (apologies, my details were pretty vague, I didn't clarify it very well), the business I work recently bought a couple of drones for the purposes of checking and recording the condition of infrastructure e.g. bridges and roads etc. before and after we have worked on them, so that we can show what the site looked like before and after.

We used to do this by driving the road with a camera mounted in a vehicle or just regular cameras but the drone footage just provides such a better view.

I expressed my concerns to my boss today and told him that I do not think I have the capability to do this job safely, he has offered to provide traffic control so that vehicles will be taken out of the equation, allowing me to fly lower under the trees and I won't have to worry about hitting a car etc.

I'm going to assess it myself when I get on site but I feel a lot better knowing that I won't have to worry about colliding with a vehicle, however I still won't proceed with the job if I feel I don't have the ability to avoid the trees.

I have changed my RTH settings so that the drone will land if it loses signal, but I still will make sure that I do the flying in short sections of 400m or less if I do go through with it.

Thank you again to everyone for the help!
With the road closed to other traffic, one option for you might be to follow the drone, and control it from a vehicle. This will allow for greater control over longer continuous distances!! But try this in an open area first, to ensure that nothing in the vehicle is going to interfere with the signals between the controller and the drone.
And for all those commenting about 107, and the like, please stop assuming all of us live in America. I'm from Australia, but live in China. It may be an honest assumption, but I, and a large number of others who I speak to from all over, hate your assumptions. Try actually asking for a location before making assumptions, because there are after all many other countries in the world, and they all have different rules. Actually clarifying things like this before making comments that are uneducated would be much more polite, and leave people in a much better frame of mind to actually have a dialogue with you!!
Good luck with the flight Zaiforce, watch out for low hanging branches!!

Last edited:
While I understand that some people don't like getting mistaken for someone in the US ;), and some don't like being reminded about the need for a Part 107 if they are flying commercially in the US, I would suggest that these comments are generally meant as helpful information. Personally I would rather be given info that I didn't need (or didn't apply to me) that not given it because they might get reprimanded. Can't this forum just be a place where people try to help solve other folks problems without having to walk on eggshells about some very basic suggestions? If you make a suggestion for someone and have several people say, "Of course he knows that or obviously that doesn't apply to him or what were you thinking?", would you be inclined to try and help the next person or would you just not help. Sorry for the rant but this happens every single time anyone mentions Part 107 and I think it's really counterproductive.

here is a great suggestion....
" STOP ASSUMING "

Assuming....
verb (used with object), as·sumed,as·sum·ing.

1. to take for granted or without proof:
Nuf said..

Hi all, thank you very much for all the responses and assistance, I appreciate it a lot.

After reading a few of the replies here I have decided that I won't be doing the flight, not until I can gain some more experience with the drone or I can guarantee that there will be no vehicles.

Just to clarify I am based outside of the USA, I did have to do a training course but it was very basic and didn't cover a lot of the features of the Phantom 4 Pro, such as how RTH works in certain circumstances, so until I have a better understanding of these things I feel it is best not to attempt such a job, and if I eventually do it, it will be in very short sections, say 200m or so, not the full length.

Once again thanks for the advice, I do appreciate it greatly :)

I suppose this suggestion is sort of like treason on this site, but it sounds like this job is more suited to a camera fixed to a vehicle - eg strapped to the roof of a car/truck etc, or supported on a pole attached to a tow bar or such. Would be a lot safer.

David - a learner

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.