New to drones, lots of questions. Please help

Reaction score
I have been looking at the DJI products for some time now. My brother just got a Mavic for his birthday, I got a chance to fly it this week so I'm now back on the hunt for information to help decide what is right for my needs. I have a ranch and need a drone for keeping an eye on my animals, deer, predators like coyotes and of course just for the fun of it.

My main questions is regarding Wifi controlled flight. I have a wifi system which runs my internet in the house and operates a large video camera system on my property. I have 3 sector antennas mounted on a HAM tower which gives me an 8-9 mile range. It is possible to download the P4P software for example onto a home PC/laptop/I pad and fly it from inside the house? I intend to set up way points and have the drone fly specific flight patterns at different times of the day. I want to be able to launch it, record the flight so I can review it at a later time/date.

I had a big problem with Deer in the garden this summer. They are also destroying young trees I am trying to grow, ripping young seedlings out of the ground. I have set up game cameras around the area, I want to be able to track their movements and determine where they are bedding down. I can legally hunt deer year round if they are being destructive to my property. I even got he wife on board with the drone since it was her garden that they tore up.

Is there talk yet about a FLIR device/ infra red camera options being released any time soon? I also have IR flood lights in areas of the property and would like to be able to fly at night to track some pesky Armadillo's that are also very destructive in the garden. They are difficult to trap.

Thanks in advance for any advice, looking forward to getting the right drone for my needs.

Reactions: BigAl07
Welcome to the forum.

As stated above negative on actually flying the aircraft from your home network etc. Several hurdles most of which are not "conveniently" over come.

The MAVIC is a rock solid platform and gets great range right out of the box. If you need more distance or stronger signal at shorter distances there are several modifications you can use to get on "out there".

Reactions: GrammatonxXXxCleric
It's a rabbit hole you may like to tumble down into.......
It may be an expensive : "Hobby", "Past time", "Adventure", way of life", But I highly recommend anyone getting into it consider models above the Phantom standard model level.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07
Thanks for the welcome and the replies so far, I can do everything I want to from the controller, I was just hoping to be able to tie into an existing powerful Wifi system with good reach. I am rural in open ranch land, once I show the drone to my neighbors and how easy they are to operate, I expect a few to buy one themselves to keep an eye on their cattle.

Thanks for the welcome and the replies so far, I can do everything I want to from the controller, I was just hoping to be able to tie into an existing powerful Wifi system with good reach. I am rural in open ranch land, once I show the drone to my neighbors and how easy they are to operate, I expect a few to buy one themselves to keep an eye on their cattle.
Using external antennas and amplifiers, you would/should be able to fly a considerable distance (if needed) around your area from... a comfortable seat.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik