"New" refurb, in beginner mode, flyaway and crash

Re date... 7th of Feb (02) 2016

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Your Phantom wasn't using its GPS so the wind would have pushed it all over the place - a very difficult situation for a new operator. The HD log shows it had enough satellites for GPS lock so it should have been in P-GPS mode and using the satellites. The Opti mode shouldn't be on after you are a few meters off the ground. I think what you may have is a defective P3.

It would be interesting to analyze the black box data (the .DAT file on the P3 itself) to see what the VPS sensor data and GPS data was showing. I think that data might give you a good case for a replacement or your money back. If you can download and post it I'd be happy to run it through a DashWare analysis.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Excellent, where can I find the proper directions to get the .dat file off! It's at the office so I may swing up that way over the weekend or Monday.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Looking forward to the dashware analysis of the .dat....

Its a mystery why, with the number of available satelites reported on healthy drones, GPS lock wasnt obtained and active.

Very unfortunate situation and sad to watch the flight play out in DJI go. Minimal stick inputs suggest the pilot watched the whole thing play out and didnt know how to fly back home. Most peoples worse fear.

One observation. Beginner mode could not have been active. You cant take off in beginner mode if GPS lock isnt obtained.

Wind
Wind Speed 12 mph (SW)
Max Wind Speed 20 mph
Max Gust Speed 29 mph
Visibility 10 miles

I have the UAV Back, minor nicks and dings, but I have lack of faith of the electronics and sensors. Should I worry? and is it UAV or Remote Related?

Flying in winds of that speed was asking for it. The prognosis seems simple - it blew away. 29 at ground level can mean 35+ at 100 feet.

I have to agree that it was not a good idea to lend a machine to someone who is not fully trained and aware - unless, of course, you fully accept that you may lose it.
It's even a worse idea to expect DJI to cover such a situation under warranty.

If any wind anywhere shows over 20MPH it's not a good idea to fly unless you are doing so in full control very close to the ground (trees keep the wind lower under about 50 feet high).

Flying in high wind is a definite way to get into trouble with any drone, large or small. Phantoms and others using GPS for flight stability will fight the wind to stay stationary and will use up battery reserves very quickly. Flying in high winds combined with cold temps is even asking to get into trouble faster. Most of this is just Common Sense, not flying in high winds and when it is really cold outside. Flying in a high wind without GPS is really asking to get into trouble with any beginner pilot.

I learned to fly with a Phantom 2 and think that all pilots should learn to fly that model first because you have to really learn to fly by the seat of your pants. My point is that you should first learn to fly around in circles, do crazy 8's, up and down tactics and fly around in Atti mode because it makes you learn to fly without GPS. You learn real fast that if you get out at distance, it is **** near impossible to tell if your coming or going from your home point. I know this for a fact, can remember the times I was sweating my *** off as to which direction the P2 was going because I had flown out to far in Atti Mode. And yes, I crashed a few times with my P2 and was able to get it down when it was doing a fly away. I followed Drone Camps RC and removed my gimbal before flying and glad I did.

Flying in high wind is a definite way to get into trouble with any drone, large or small. Phantoms and others using GPS for flight stability will fight the wind to stay stationary and will use up battery reserves very quickly. Flying in high winds combined with cold temps is even asking to get into trouble faster. Most of this is just Common Sense, not flying in high winds and when it is really cold outside. Flying in a high wind without GPS is really asking to get into trouble with any beginner pilot.

I learned to fly with a Phantom 2 and think that all pilots should learn to fly that model first because you have to really learn to fly by the seat of your pants. My point is that you should first learn to fly around in circles, do crazy 8's, up and down tactics and fly around in Atti mode because it makes you learn to fly without GPS. You learn real fast that if you get out at distance, it is **** near impossible to tell if your coming or going from your home point. I know this for a fact, can remember the times I was sweating my *** off as to which direction the P2 was going because I had flown out to far in Atti Mode. And yes, I crashed a few times with my P2 and was able to get it down when it was doing a fly away. I followed Drone Camps RC and removed my gimbal before flying and glad I did.
Everything you said is spot on, but unfortunately, there are some people that will try anything, and try it right out of the box. I guess I wouldn't like people telling me what to do with my new toy, but I would be stupid to not listen. A guy earlier said something about not lending a drone to an inexperienced pilot, and dji wouldn't cover what the owner was in fault of. It all sounds like an accident waiting to happen, which it did. I just wish this guy had wrote in asking if he should loan his drone to a novice pilot BEFORE he did it. I can imagine the answers he would have gotten! :eek:

Everything you said is spot on, but unfortunately, there are some people that will try anything, and try it right out of the box. I guess I wouldn't like people telling me what to do with my new toy, but I would be stupid to not listen. A guy earlier said something about not lending a drone to an inexperienced pilot, and dji wouldn't cover what the owner was in fault of. It all sounds like an accident waiting to happen, which it did. I just wish this guy had wrote in asking if he should loan his drone to a novice pilot BEFORE he did it. I can imagine the answers he would have gotten! :eek:

Unfortunately, Common Sense is not a commodity that can be sold or purchased. It seems that some people can have common sense and others will never understand what it really means. Then there are those who will argue the point. In this discussion, common sense means understanding that with out proper training from others who have flight experience, that there is going to be crashes with the Phantoms. The P3S in my estimation would be a great training tool because you can give the new guy the RC and you yourself, hold on to the tablet. If the pilot gets stupid, then you can over ride his commands by simply hitting the RTH button on the screen and the take the RC away from the pilot, then you can go back and go over the flight afterwards.

I'm intrigued as to why it looks like the pilot continually switching from GPS to Atti and back.
I noticed on my P2 that the remotes switches S1 and 2 are very sensitive. I.e they do not need to be moved fully to the next position before that mode is triggered.
I'm fact when my S1&S2 are both Up very slight down pressure on either switch flips to the next setting without the switch actually moving

When I flew around the local RC park for the first time or two, could not get my P2 to really respond to my commands and I got scared and so I began flipping the switches out of desperation to try and make the P2 come down and land. Other pilots were either flying or firing up their gas model planes. The first time I got to close to one of the Plane Pilots, he had run his throttle up all the way and the engine was screaming it's *** off as it set in the work bench. I was landing my P2 when he ran the throttle up and my P2 all of a sudden went straight up in the air and no matter how much I kept the left stick down, it would not come down and land, not until the other Pilot backed off his throttle, then I was able to land. So after the second time this happened, I stay totally away from other pilots regardless of what they are flying in order to maintain a safe control of my Phantoms.
The point is that when any of us run into a problem which can cause a crash, we can and often times over react. With more flight experience we learn how to deal with these problems in a safe and effective manner, sometimes your just gonna crash regardless.

I don't know why but it never enters P-GPS mode. The home point is set, but it's flown in P-Opti mode, bouncing to P-Atti mode. With no GPS lock, it doesn't know where to return home when the RTH is sent. It seems very windy as well to drift 10M/S? It also seems the right stick commands were not influencing the P3, probably due to the wind. The altitude and yaw commands were working, but are less affected by the wind. The end of the flight before the crash was at -4 meters. Not being in P-GPS mode will definitely keep an un-experienced pilot very busy. The mystery here is why the P3 never entered P-GPS mode?

SD

FYI the standard has a crap GPS receiver in it, if he started flying before a good lock was obtained, or if he ignored a loss of gps, there could be the root of the issues. If hes that green how would he know if beginner mode was on?

So, I got a factory refurb advanced, as a spare drone. I already have Pro, (Hoping the FAA will relax the commercial side of drones) so I let a co worker borrow it, and he took it out a few times, always in beginner mode.

Well, it flew away and crashed. My coworker swears he was only going up and down and slow panning with it. I hot a hold of the flight data, and well, it does not look like a normal flight, we have upside down, we have a max altitude of 800+ feet, we have some fancy spinning and spinning we have multiple ignored "return to home" commands sent,

Who should I contact first, DJI, or the retailer?
Post tha log.

I would bet my calls to a dollar that it was, as usual, improper compass calibration peppered with someone that didnt know how to handle the situation and panicked.

It's SOOOO often the compass.

FYI the standard has a crap GPS receiver in it, if he started flying before a good lock was obtained, or if he ignored a loss of gps, there could be the root of the issues. If hes that green how would he know if beginner mode was on?
His playback from the ios app shows the home point updated on the map. It's from the sidewalk of the corner house.
This is a refurbished Advanced. It did lose GPS somehow. It's strange it's never in P-GPS mode. Without GPS lock, beginner mode won't work.

SD

That would require the owner to be with the novice every time he flew, and this guy apparently was'nt intrested enough to do that. That would be good for a parent/kid deal though.

I'm intrigued as to why it looks like the pilot continually switching from GPS to Atti and back.
I noticed on my P2 that the remotes switches S1 and 2 are very sensitive. I.e they do not need to be moved fully to the next position before that mode is triggered.
I'm fact when my S1&S2 are both Up very slight down pressure on either switch flips to the next setting without the switch actually moving
Actually, I think we are give this pilot too much credit. This thread started off asking what could have happened, and what the odds say happened is the pilot was at fault. Nothing against the pilot, but c'mon, what does your common sense tell you? The guy loaned his drone to a newbie, and the drone miraculously went haywire? Not.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl