"New" refurb, in beginner mode, flyaway and crash

Reaction score
So, I got a factory refurb advanced, as a spare drone. I already have Pro, (Hoping the FAA will relax the commercial side of drones) so I let a co worker borrow it, and he took it out a few times, always in beginner mode.

Well, it flew away and crashed. My coworker swears he was only going up and down and slow panning with it. I hot a hold of the flight data, and well, it does not look like a normal flight, we have upside down, we have a max altitude of 800+ feet, we have some fancy spinning and spinning we have multiple ignored "return to home" commands sent,

Who should I contact first, DJI, or the retailer?

Can you post the log file here? There are some talented folk that can help you make sense of it.

So, I got a factory refurb advanced, as a spare drone. I already have Pro, (Hoping the FAA will relax the commercial side of drones) so I let a co worker borrow it, and he took it out a few times, always in beginner mode.

Well, it flew away and crashed. My coworker swears he was only going up and down and slow panning with it. I hot a hold of the flight data, and well, it does not look like a normal flight, we have upside down, we have a max altitude of 800+ feet, we have some fancy spinning and spinning we have multiple ignored "return to home" commands sent,

What will contacting DJI or the retailer do? Unless you can prove a malfunction occurred they will do nothing. I would recommend you upload your log file to HealthyDrones.com and see exactly what happened. You can even build a 3D map with Google Earth. If in fact your co-worker was reckless with it, present the data to them and ask them how they would like to handle the repair for you.

Well, I greatly doubt it was rooted, as I had to show him how to use the app to find out where it crashed on the map. that being said... I just talked to him and he found it. I will have the UAV tomorrow, Where is this log file located that you want me to upload? on the SD Card? or in the App?

Well, I greatly doubt it was rooted, as I had to show him how to use the app to find out where it crashed on the map. that being said... I just talked to him and he found it. I will have the UAV tomorrow, Where is this log file located that you want me to upload? on the SD Card? or in the App?
Go to HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters and there are instructions on how to upload it. You can also create a link to share the data. It will tell you almost everything about the flight.

If it didnt go to 800ft in beginner mode id suggest a badly installed prop as a possibility. Maybe he/she lost GPS which was followed by panic and a series of poor choices with stick inputs (no RTH without GPS lock).

It cannot go 800 ft in beginner mode. That's why it's there as a fail safe. Sorry. Hope they take care of you op.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Maybe it's just me, but I cant even imagine a scenario where I would loan my phantom to ANYONE. They are not hard to fly, but all the electronics, the app, the fact that the operator can get it in to trouble in any number of ways, doesn't not seem like a piece of equipment you would loan out willy nilly to anyone.....IMO.

Maybe it's just me, but I cant even imagine a scenario where I would loan my phantom to ANYONE. They are not hard to fly, but all the electronics, the app, the fact that the operator can get it in to trouble in any number of ways, doesn't not seem like a piece of equipment you would loan out willy nilly to anyone.....IMO.
+1 agreed

Any luck getting the log file?

He has the log files at the office, haven't made it that far yet today. But I should get it before tonight. He says that is still hovers, but does not stay still, I will see.

As for letting others use my uav...
I am looking into starting a uav business, as soon as the FAA relaxes the commercial rules, to do that I will need pilots. But I cannot have them fly at this point on company time, so they can borrow the uav to use on personal time to get flight cred, anything you run a business, there is a risk.

He has the log files at the office, haven't made it that far yet today. But I should get it before tonight. He says that is still hovers, but does not stay still, I will see.

As for letting others use my uav...
I am looking into starting a uav business, as soon as the FAA relaxes the commercial rules, to do that I will need pilots. But I cannot have them fly at this point on company time, so they can borrow the uav to use on personal time to get flight cred, anything you run a business, there is a risk.
What, like UAV rental? Aerial photography? I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on the FAA to do anything......except maybe tighten the "recommendations".

What, like UAV rental? Aerial photography? I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on the FAA to do anything......except maybe tighten the "recommendations".

I'm looking for the faa to remove the requirement Of a real pilots license (commercial DRONE license is great)
It would be awfully nice to get rid of the line of sight requirement
Also nice, contact control towers before flights, not contact Billy the crop duster with his grass runway 4.8 miles away to get permission to fly
Pipe dream, getting rid of the no night flying

As for business model, I am not looking for glam, we are looking for job site inspection, crop inspection, verification of osha compliance, pipeline inspection, tower inspection, maybe even some corporate espionage .

Just saying. The government gets its foot in the door on some kind of regulation, they very rarely take it out.

(I should say never)

I'm looking for the faa to remove the requirement Of a real pilots license (commercial DRONE license is great)
It would be awfully nice to get rid of the line of sight requirement
Also nice, contact control towers before flights, not contact Billy the crop duster with his grass runway 4.8 miles away to get permission to fly
Pipe dream, getting rid of the no night flying

As for business model, I am not looking for glam, we are looking for job site inspection, crop inspection, verification of osha compliance, pipeline inspection, tower inspection, maybe even some corporate espionage .

I think we will see a new license requirement, but I dont see the LOS rule going away for quite some time. At least not until a collision avoidance system is built and operational.

There are plenty of lobbyists and congressmen pushing for the change, but we can hope the FAA listens

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

If it was in beginner mode... why did it not stay there, any way to check?

Other points of interest, Wind Speed in the app -? 51mph gusts, 25 average,
Historical data from Weather Underground:

Wind
Wind Speed 12 mph (SW)
Max Wind Speed 20 mph
Max Gust Speed 29 mph
Visibility 10 miles

I have the UAV Back, minor nicks and dings, but I have lack of faith of the electronics and sensors. Should I worry? and is it UAV or Remote Related?

That wind speed, by underground or on the app, is way higher than I fly in. I would guess that you had no problem with electronics. Just pilot error.

****. Looking at healthy drone data. Your went above 2500ft altitude. And was in atti mode. Not gps mode. Yikes!!! Your friend panicked. I could be wrong but ****. It was not in beginners mode at all
This can't be right. 2639 ft altitude. No way.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers