New p4p Real video/Picture comparison

Reaction score
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Based on what these guys shot, it seems the p4p is a minor upgrade, but we still have to wait and see what the new camera can actually pull.

It is great for low light, so long exposure shots are a great plus on these, but outside shots seem a little too similar to me. Then again, I'm watching this on an outdated laptop, so what's everyone opinion?

Last edited:

Based on what these guys shot, it seems the p4p is a minor upgrade, but we still have to wait and see what the new camera can actually pull.

It is great for low light, so long exposure shots are a great plus on these, but outside shots seem a little too similar to me. Then again, I'm watching this on an outdated laptop, so what's everyone opinion?
From what I can see that video looks like a whole lot of work for nothing, completely useless. It definitely looks like they didn't use the full 100mbps 4K option while recording, and they also didn't focus the camera while taking pictures. "It's so hard", yeah right dumb***. Use your index finger once will you?

Reactions: TonG
A true shutter, ability to control the focus, the ability to set the aperture, along with the sensor size and I am on board. The object detection in the rear is just icing on the cake. Guess I have to sell both of my P4's, or do I wait for the Phantom 4 Pro Plus with the 45 minute battery, all angle sensors, and the mode s ads- b transponder so I can fly in controlled airspace?

The 5.8ghz capability is nice too, but I'm still waiting for some night and day picture differences. The initial phantom series came with a 14mp camera, so the MP on the P4p doesn't do much persuasion. Hopefully a real conprehensive comparison will be up in the following days. New sensors seem promising. There's actually a picture up on skypixel:

SkyPixel - Connecting Creativity

Based on the specs, the camera alone is reason enough to justify buying the P4 pro.
It's a huge leap forward for aerial photography, definitely no minor upgrade.
A sensor 4 times that of the P4, aperture control, a real shutter and 12 stops dynamic range.
Photographers thought we'd have to wait years before such a machine became available.
There was nothing in that video that gave any idea what the new camera can do.
I'm amazed they felt that flying inside a house for a real estate video was a good test of anything.
This video still doesn't show everything the camera can do but it goes a lot further than the one above

Reactions: Lefty63 and tml4191
Based on the specs, the camera alone is reason enough to justify buying the P4 pro.
A sensor 4 times that of the P4, aperture control,a real shutter and and 12 stops dynamic range..
Photographers thought we'd have to wait years before such a machine became available.
I'm amazed they felt that flying inside a house for a real estate video was a good test of anything.
This video still doesn't show everything the camera can do but it goes a lot further than the one above
I know. On paper this camera is definitely unprecedented for a consumer drone like the phantom. I am waiting for those uber shots though!

I also like the comment in this video by DJI's VP of Engineering "Improved Gimbal Dynamics".....

I know. On paper this camera is definitely unprecedented for a consumer drone like the phantom. I am waiting for those uber shots though!

You are likely not to see a big difference unless watching on a 4K TV... Standard computer screens are not the best for viewing. There will be a big difference in the ability to zoom and crop without losing a lot of clarity.

Yes, the camera is a significant improvement but as an enthusiast just having fun, the P4 will suffice for now. Until, the P5 comes out with optical zoom - Hopefully [emoji1]

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

A sensor 4 times that of the P4, aperture control, a real shutter and 12 stops dynamic range.

Agreed. I'm also curious to see the quality of 1080 at 100mbps... in particular if compression artifacts over grass, etc. has improved significantly.

Reactions: Brent10
I doubt that 1080 will have the 100mbs.

Thanks... yeah I think you're right... just checked the specs again:

1920×1080 48/50/60p @65Mbps
1920×1080 120p @100Mbps << I must have read this line too quickly.

The 65 Mbps may still be a significant improvement though (40 Mbps for 1080 on P3P/P4P, I believe).

You are likely not to see a big difference unless watching on a 4K TV... Standard computer screens are not the best for viewing. There will be a big difference in the ability to zoom and crop without losing a lot of clarity.
With 'normal' daylight photo's you will not see a big difference in sharpness and clarity I suppose.The difference in sensor size is not that big.
What you will see, I hope, is the difference in dynamic range and richness/subtlety of colors. The possibility to make deep edits, lighten up the shadows, change colors without the harshness you see all to quick with the P3P and P4 camera's.
Photograph in DNG and if possible choose F5.6 or F8 for to get the optimal sharpness and contrast out of the lens.

With 'normal' daylight photo's you will not see a big difference in sharpness and clarity I suppose.The difference in sensor size is not that big.
What you will see, I hope, is the difference in dynamic range and richness/subtlety of colors. The possibility to make deep edits, lighten up the shadows, change colors without the harshness you see all to quick with the P3P and P4 camera's.
Photograph in DNG and if possible choose F5.6 or F8 for to get the optimal sharpness and contrast out of the lens.

The sensor is like 3X bigger. How is that, not much bigger?

You have to take the square root of the sensor differences(pixel numbers). 20M vs 12.4M
Look at the pixel numbers at the specs of the P4 and P4P.

The difference in sensor size in millimeters is much bigger. That means that the individual pixel size of the P4P is bigger than that of the P3/P4. De bigger the pixel-size, the better the quality of the pixel!

Image-sizes.jpg

Sensorsize.jpg

Last edited:
The sensor is like 3X bigger. How is that, not much bigger?
The sensor size is 4 times bigger .. but it's still not a big sensor.
it's just that the P3 sensor was tiny.
The P4 pro sensor is still only about 1/6th the size of a full frame SLR sensor.
It's amazing we could get anything half decent out of our P3s and P4s
i-xBHHp2n-L.jpg

Seeing images from that 1 inch sensor (other cameras that use the sensor) vs the phantom 4 is night and day.

Obviously there's 2 other huge factors.

F stop , and glass

Glass will probably still be a limiting factor with the new pro, but at least we're not stuck at 2.8(probably the biggest issue)

I'm new to video so I'm basing this solely on stills.

I was immediately disappointed with the phantom 4 photos when looking at the details. It's fine for the web, but I probably wouldn't print.

Attachments

• IMG_2563.JPG
    IMG_2563.JPG
    668.2 KB · Views: 514
  • IMG_2453.JPG
    IMG_2453.JPG
    563.8 KB · Views: 458

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member