Reaction score
I am new to the hobby. I am really not an Ace all the other names were taken during registration.
My question is the go app. tells me that I am in class e air space but the nearest airport is 6 miles away from me.
I was told for the time being I cannot contact the ATC or LAANC to get permission too fly.
I think I will have to travel around and look for class g air space until the LAANC is available.
Anyone know how long it will be before I can use the LAANC?
Thanks.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum! :)

It would be better to use the AirMap map to confirm whether or not you're in Class G airspace. Until further notice from the FAA, hobbyists can only fly in Class G airspace or authorized fixes sites (like AMA fields) within controlled airspace.

It would be better to use the AirMap map to confirm whether or not you're in Class G airspace. Until further notice from the FAA, hobbyists can only fly in Class G airspace or authorized fixes sites (like AMA fields) within controlled airspace.
Thank you very much.

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .?

Yeah we all know how much fun it is to fly your drone at AMA fields these days. I love dodging all those crazy foamy 3D airplanes and tic-tocking helicopters billowing smoke everywhere!

Yeah we all know how much fun it is to fly your drone at AMA fields these days. I love dodging all those crazy foamy 3D airplanes and tic-tocking helicopters billowing smoke everywhere!
I just heard today I will be required to take a safety test sometime in October of this year.
Are there any materials out there to study for the test?
Thank You

I stand to be correct but I don’t think the FAA has put anything out yet. It will be an online test from what I have seen. If you want to learn a good bit take the 107 course the Remotepilot101.com is a great course. The only drawback is it costs. It’s for commercial pilots but you will learn a lot very interesting course. There is also a lot of stuff on YouTube that’s free just look for 107 drone footage

Below is the FAA website you more than likely have already looked at

Last edited:
This is a great video

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Class E can extend far beyond the 5 mile limit of an airport. You may be in an approach area or some other restricted area that requires class E air space from the surface. Only a sectional chart will tell you where you are and if you don't know how to read one there are several YouTube videos online may help you out. Good luck.

Class E can extend far beyond the 5 mile limit of an airport. You may be in an approach area or some other restricted area that requires class E air space from the surface. Only a sectional chart will tell you where you are and if you don't know how to read one there are several YouTube videos online may help you out. Good luck.
I downloaded the B4ufly app. it shows I am over 5 miles away from an airport and the circle clearly shows that , but I am 2 miles away from a hospital heliport.
Very confused. I am in controlled airspace?
Please Advice.

The B4UFly should tell you your status such as a check in a circle and tell to fly with caution and check for restrictions and they are referring to local or state restrictions in that case. In your case it should be telling you restrictions excite and that you need to call the ATC. Which you can no longer do. currently you can not fly in that space at all legally.

Last edited:
All the beautiful videos I saw was the reason I got interested in drones.
I should have done my homework. I had no idea that this is a very serious hobby with lots of liability.
All I wanted to do is have fun with minimal effort.
I thank all the people that replied to my posts, I can see this is a great forum with nice people.
I will continue to view the forum but I think I will ground myself until all the new rules and testing are clear.
Thanks so much.

There are many great places to fly I wouldn’t give up yet. Use the maps to find the unrestricted locations.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31