new laptop wont recognize 32G SD card ?

Reaction score
just bought a 32G card for my p3, its identical to the 8G one that came in the bird. p3 recognizes it without issue, but my brand new laptop doesnt see it.......any ideas ?? ( laptop has no issue with the 8G card)

just bought a 32G card for my p3, its identical to the 8G one that came in the bird. p3 recognizes it without issue, but my brand new laptop doesnt see it.......any ideas ?? ( laptop has no issue with the 8G card)

It's not identical, it's a different card and it's 32 Gb.... but I know what you mean really ...... :)

Have you/a friend got another pc you can try the card on? Whilst acknowledging that your P3 recognises both of them and your laptop sees the 8Gb card, if the new 32 Gb card works on the other pc, (perhaps re-format the card while you're there) it's probably some problem with your laptop. If it doesn't, the easiest way is to take the card back to the shop and get a replacement.

If that one also isn't recognised by your laptop, then take it from there...

You don't need the PC to recognize it. The Phantom uses a different system (fat32 I think)Formatting will erase everything. Ignore the message and open the file explorer and just drag the files you want on to the PC.

You don't need the PC to recognize it. The Phantom uses a different system (fat32 I think)Formatting will erase everything. Ignore the message and open the file explorer and just drag the files you want on to the PC.
A valid point but the OP didn't say he had any files on the card, so formatting will lose nothing on the info that we have available.

Maybe we're talking at crossed purposes here, but the OP also said that his laptop 'can't see' the SD card, which I took to mean it doesn't show up as a drive. How can you drag files from a drive that cannot be seen?

We'd welcome some further clarification from the OP, I think....including the OS of the laptop :)

Last edited:
thanks guys, the os is windows10. there are videos on the card, but the card wont show up as a drive. i did check in the settings and it shows an error with the card reader when the 32g card is installed. as mentioned, no issue with the 8g card. i also searched for updated drivers but all are current. i guess i will try another 8g card and see what happens.

Thanks for the extra info. Maybe this Google search might throw up a few more useful ideas. Google

Good luck in sorting it out.

Are you using an external reader or the adapter that usually comes with a microSD card? If you haven't yet, try the adapter and plug directly into the slot in the laptop. I've had problems with external readers either not seeing on not being able to properly transfer video files.

which I took to mean it doesn't show up as a drive. How can you drag files from a drive that cannot be seen?

Ok well you assume there is nothing on the card. I assume he had a problem with reading the card. Often I get " There is a problem with the drive, Do you want windows to fix it ?" So that's the first thing I thought of. No ones judging your answers we're just trying to help. Take it easy speedy.

still no luck with reading the 32g card, so i bought a 16g card......and thats a no go also. tried all the tricks i could find on the interweb. the bird sees both new cards and formats them without issue. no external card reader or adapter in use, just the micro card inserted in the micro slot in the laptop.

Have you tried the cards on another pc yet? - although I would think that having more than one defective card would be just too much of a coincidence.

Perhaps you could borrow an external card reader and see if that will read the cards when you plug it into your laptop.

Although you've checked a few things already, the evidence seems to be starting to point more to some problem with the card reader or its software on your laptop. An inability to read larger capacity cards can often be due to older technology in older computers, but yours is brand new.

SD Card Reader not working in Windows 10 (Read the comments below too for more ideas)

It's a puzzle..... :(

Last edited:
Have you tried using a cable and connecting the camera to your computer yet ?.

didnt know that was an option ! is there anything i should be aware of before i plug the gimble into the laptop ? i did try the 32g card in an old laptop running vista with no issues, so the card must not be the issue.

I have read that people have done it and the drone has to be on before your laptop will recognize it.Be sure to remove your gimbal clamp first.

If that doesn't work let me know I might have one more idea.

i gave that a try...and bingo......the 32g card /camera was there ! downloaded a gig to laptop, then put it on a stick with no issues. thanks so much for the help and suggestions. great forum !

i gave that a try...and bingo......the 32g card /camera was there ! downloaded a gig to laptop, then put it on a stick with no issues. thanks so much for the help and suggestions. great forum !
Thanks for your reply,I was wondering if you had any luck or not now you might want to try what I added below and see if it works for you.
You can download a DJI Go App from either Google Play Store or iTunes App Store, then you will be able to wirelessly transfer DJI Phantom video footage to computer.

Thanks for your reply,I was wondering if you had any luck or not now you might want to try what I added below and see if it works for you.
You can download a DJI Go App from either Google Play Store or iTunes App Store, then you will be able to wirelessly transfer DJI Phantom video footage to computer.
Are you sure about transferring to a computer? And even if you can, the footage stored by the Go app is low resolution, not the full quality recorded on the SD card.

No i'm not sure,have you tried it yourself ?.I was simply giving nwcove another alternative since he is having trouble reading that card on his laptop.

Are you sure about transferring to a computer? And even if you can, the footage stored by the Go app is low resolution, not the full quality recorded on the SD card.
You can download from the bird via wifi, but not 2.7k . Have done that with my ipad, but havent tried putting the app on a pc to see if it would work.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
intertronixlabel