New injunction info... Released today.

gunslinger

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
DJI GLOBAL REAFFIRMS SUPPORT FOR NORTH AMERICAN MARKETS

January 31, 2014

Hong Kong Dajiang Innovations Technology Co., Ltd. (‘DJI HK’) can confirm that a minority shareholder in DJI North America (‘DJI NA’) has obtained an injunction restricting dealings with a limited number of its broader North American distribution network.

Decided at a preliminary hearing before a detailed examination of evidence, this injunction temporarily restricts the company from marketing or selling DJI products to a list of 31 dealers in North America – 19 of which are no longer active dealers – that the minority shareholder has made a part of this legal proceeding.

DJI NA is not, and never has been, an exclusive distributor of DJI products in North America.

“DJI will actively and aggressively address this issue in US courts because the company has complied fully with all laws and regulations in the implementation of its business with DJI NA. We are confident that we will prevail in this matter,” said Asher Griffin, legal counsel for DJI HK.

DJI Global will continue to carry out all research, design and development of aerial platforms for creators and innovators around the world, as it has since its founding in 2006 by CEO Frank Wang.

For enquiries please contact

Michael Perry
[email protected]

I noticed that they keep mentioning "CEO Frank Wang". It's interesting that up to a month ago most people were unaware of his existence and were under the impression that Colin Guinn was CEO given that title was in some of his videos. (And I know they were referencing DJI NA not HK)

I wonder whether Frank Wang did not take too nicely to Colin taking over the limelight

djayz said:
I noticed that they keep mentioning "CEO Frank Wang". It's interesting that up to a month ago most people were unaware of his existence and were under the impression that Colin Guinn was CEO given that title was in some of his videos. (And I know they were referencing DJI NA not HK)

I wonder whether Frank Wang did not take too nicely to Colin taking over the limelight

I thought Colin's title was CIO of North America???? Chief Innovation Officer. Or was it changed to that???

I was always under the impression that DJI "North America" was a misleading name for what was obviously just an outfit that handled USA marketing for DJI and little else than providing an American face to a Chinese company.
If you bought a Phantom and wanted get tech support or repair, you had to go thru another dealer and then it would be handled thru the main company in China.
if you wanted parts, you'd have to do the same.

who knows why they've parted ways, tho probably the success led the company to realize that with the popularity of drones booming, it would be best to have a legit USA headquarters to deal with things. -which can be a good thing.

take Canon for instance, they have two repair facilities in the states, and they kick ***

To funny ... is turning into a Kardasian level type clusterfu*k of global proportions .... money makes people batsh*t crazy and greedy beyond their true worth.

I am putting my money on the company that actually makes these things .... aggreived marketing and salesmen are a dime a dozen in this world ... but really at the end of the day, I care about a USA litigation suit cash battle, as much as I care about whether the Kardasians actually have brains ....

GMANNZ said:
To funny ... is turning into a Kardasian level type clusterfu*k of global proportions .... money makes people batsh*t crazy and greedy beyond their true worth.

I am putting my money on the company that actually makes these things .... aggreived marketing and salesmen are a dime a dozen in this world ... but really at the end of the day, I care about a USA litigation suit cash battle, as much as I care about whether the Kardasians actually have brains ....

I agree with you. Controversies between manufacturer/inventor and distributor get resolved by the distributor being made whole (if entitled and prove the wrongdoing). However, afterwards, the distributor fades and the manufacturer survives. Happens all the time. There are thousand of cases like this. My guess is that Colin will get some settlement money and fade away. DJI will continue, probably with the US subsidiary and hopefully with better support.

gunslinger said:
Hong Kong Dajiang Innovations Technology Co., Ltd. (‘DJI HK’) can confirm that a minority shareholder in DJI North America (‘DJI NA’) has obtained an injunction restricting dealings with a limited number of its broader North American distribution network.
The proportion of holdings owned by the "minority" shareholder DJI refers to is 48% and is of course held by Colin Guinn. That he put up almost half the money to launch DJI into its current future speaks volumes about his support of DJI and their relationship. Whatever the disagreement, when you've put up almost half the money and your "major" shareholder (who owns the other 52%) suddenly & surreptitiously transfers all DJI NA's cash into "offshore accounts" in China, directs their dealers to send payments to the same, then mandates the termination of all DJI NA's employees w/o notice or severance just before Christmas, suggests someone got their props in a twist and flew over the line to forcibly cut their "minority" shareholder out of the picture.

At least that's the way the judge sees it after hearing both their stories. It'll be interesting to see what DJI HK brings to the table during discovery.

iDrone :|

CunningStuntFlyer said:
This is yet another in a long line of assumptions that folks have made when reading the court documents that are publicly available for review.

i.e. Being the 48% holder/memebr of an LLC does not mean that you ponied up 48% of the money to launch the LLC.
Absolutely correct. Nor does it mean the contrary. Re-read what I wrote; I never said nor do I assume that. But you're perfectly welcome to imagine or assume whatever you like.

iDrone :|

Gracious me, I dearly apologize if I misspoke and I led anyone to believe Colin put up half the money that put DJI on the map where it is today. Of course we don't know that he didn't, just as we don't know if he didn't put up most of it... However it strikes me somewhat significant that he's apparently the only remaining shareholder other than DJI HK and that his ownership in those shares comes to 48%. I don't imagine anyone does that unless they have reasonable expectations that the product & company they're investing in is a good idea, and may even negotiate & expect some measure of say over decisions made by the company.

But in absolutes, an over 50% controlling interest... DJI HK / less than 50% minority interest... Colin Guinn et al. - DJI HK would still be entitled control. But what's fascinating is that Guinn was directed to dissolve the operation and its employees, basically shutting him & his company down after successfully marketing & skyrocketing the Phantom's into the stratosphere, leaving him with what? His 48% share and some screen credits? Who's zoomin' who here? ...don't know.

But you know what? It really doesn't matter any more. None of it relieves DJI HK of their endless product & support issues. There are & will soon be better products, better firmware, better support, and be manufactured, marketed, distributed, & sold by better companies w/o all the in-fighting and drama that went on in this one... at least we can hope, and until there is, I'm done with Phantom's.

For now I'm stuck with a product I basically love, bought from a Chinese company I never would have trusted were it not fronted by DJI NA & Guinn, who offers little to no timely support, is far from forthcoming about product issues, prefers to resolve those issues thru dealers who equally receive little to no timely support, for problems that we customers have discovered, verified, and resolved on our own with the assistance of these forums. Why would I ever buy another of their products ever again, esp when there are will continue to be better products from others on the market? Oh well.

iDrone

Your fascination and obsession with the need to presumably & allegedly correct others who simply wish to express their thoughts, feelings, rants, imaginations, or hallucinations is somewhat disturbing, but as long as you do so politely (which you seem to have difficulty with) I suppose the rest of us will tolerate it.

I'll say one last thing and leave it be as no doubt you'll feel compelled to respond to anything that upsets your sense of "correctness"...

It really is irrelevant to me to owns what, how much they did or didn't pay, who controls the companies, whether its an LLC, corporation, cooperative, partnership, or street vendor, nor how this is all settled... I'm no longer interested in DJI or its products. To use a Western colloquialism, IMHO they're really FUBAR and I no longer trust them or their products.

Your need to debate and correct me has strayed us so far away from the purpose of my original post, so let me summarize those thoughts & feelings in no uncertain terms: I believe Guinn really wanted DJI to be a success and put his heart, soul, & PermaTan (tnx S) to the brand image. I liked him & his company and though they did a bang-up job selling DJI and its Phantom series. I appreciated his lobbying DC to promote our RC Drone Hobby and his efforts to get policies changed so they can be used commercially. I would have no doubt continued to follow and purchase DJI products had he continued to do so. But that's all changed. I don't like how DJI HK fired everyone in the Texas office just before Christmas, nor do I fancy their "new" support system.

So like you, they now occupy far less rent space upstairs than they ever did before. The world is our oyster, we should endeavor not to take too many dumps in it. I wish DJI & you all the best.

iDrone

CunningStuntFlyer said:
iDrone said:
Your fascination and obsession with the need to presumably & allegedly correct others who simply wish to express their thoughts, feelings, rants, imaginations, or hallucinations is somewhat disturbing, but as long as you do so politely (which you seem to have difficulty with) I suppose the rest of us will tolerate it.

Awesome. More assumptions! (fascination and obsession? Silly!)

It's really simple:

When someone like you posts something that doesn't jive with reality (aka "your thoughts" - that term is being used very loosely BTW) sometimes other folks (like me) will comment on that.

It's a discussion board after all. If you can't handle that maybe you should take up bingo or something and get off this crazy internet thing so you don't feel so inferior.

Secure folks wouldn't be upset because others comment on their abject lack of understanding about the topic that they are commenting on.

iDrone said:
It really is irrelevant to me to owns what, how much they did or didn't pay, who controls the companies, whether its an LLC, corporation, cooperative, partnership, or street vendor, nor how this is all settled

Yeah, I get it. The facts are irrelevant to you. Especially when they get in the way of your silly rants.

CunningStuntFlyer- welcome to my foe list. This is a forum for discussion. You belong on the 1st grade forum for kids. Grow up.

Waterborne said:
CunningStuntFlyer said:
iDrone said:

Awesome. More assumptions! (fascination and obsession? Silly!)

It's really simple:

When someone like you posts something that doesn't jive with reality (aka "your thoughts" - that term is being used very loosely BTW) sometimes other folks (like me) will comment on that.

It's a discussion board after all. If you can't handle that maybe you should take up bingo or something and get off this crazy internet thing so you don't feel so inferior.

Secure folks wouldn't be upset because others comment on their abject lack of understanding about the topic that they are commenting on.

iDrone said:
It really is irrelevant to me to owns what, how much they did or didn't pay, who controls the companies, whether its an LLC, corporation, cooperative, partnership, or street vendor, nor how this is all settled

Yeah, I get it. The facts are irrelevant to you. Especially when they get in the way of your silly rants.

CunningStuntFlyer- welcome to my foe list. This is a forum for discussion. You belong on the 1st grade forum for kids. Grow up.

+1
Direct to Foe...

Gizmo3000 said:
I was always under the impression that DJI "North America" was a misleading name for what was obviously just an outfit that handled USA marketing for DJI and little else than providing an American face to a Chinese company.
If you bought a Phantom and wanted get tech support or repair, you had to go thru another dealer and then it would be handled thru the main company in China.
if you wanted parts, you'd have to do the same.

who knows why they've parted ways, tho probably the success led the company to realize that with the popularity of drones booming, it would be best to have a legit USA headquarters to deal with things. -which can be a good thing.

take Canon for instance, they have two repair facilities in the states, and they kick ***

actually I have been totally misled...
till one week ago I thought DJI was some kick *** USA company, which builds multirotor and stuff in usa, doing innovations in usa and that colin was the guy behind it. I imagined they use chinese parts, but the naza, the software and so on were purely american. That's why i did immediately choose to buy a Phantom when I decided to get into the quad hobby. Because I had some experience of chinese heli, and they were all, no exceptions, crap!
I imagined this company, out of california or something like that, that decided to introduce a great product while they were surfing in the weekend, a kind of startup well funded from a VC.
Now that I realized DJI (NA) is only a sales and marketing company I am quite disappointed.
The only think that I can observe is that Frank Wang seems a HongKong guy (they have almost the same name in HK). and I assure you, HK is totally different from Mainland China. So, I am ready to let mr Wang become my new face in my immagination. I have been told Colin has made enough money that he can survive to this and maybe found a new company, not selling other people products pretending to be the guru, but being really the one. good luck mr colin, now step aside, it is mr Wang time! :D :lol: :mrgreen:

(just joking, I have any interest in DJ a part being a happy owner of a P2NV)

GMANNZ said:

LMFAO!!
Moose

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl