New from WV and OH

Reaction score
I've been lurking for about a month now and finally decided to create an account and get involved. After Christmas of 2014 and 2015 my wife said she thought hard about getting me a drone but didn't. I had never really expressed any interest in trying one out, but photography and cinematography have been hobbies of mine for a long time.

Well I finally got the bug in my head and she got me a tiny Husband X4 a few months back; she still has a bit of a scar on her leg from my first flight. I still have my second X4 - the first one is in pine tree not more than 50 feet from where I sit typing this (I check every couple days to see if it has been blown out). After becoming mildly proficient at flying the X4, that is to say I finally stopped crashing into stuff, I set my sights on something with a better camera. My research led me to the Phantom 4 which, after convincing myself and my wife (or so I thought) that I really did not need such a thing, showed up under the tree. She surprised the heck out of me with a bundle including a few batteries, carrying case, and some lens and sensor cleaners, SD cards, etc...

I *love* this thing! Since I unboxing and setup I've logged 28 flights for a total distance of 28,907 meters over 3 hours and 26 minutes. I have no idea what my Growth of Value (DJI GO4 app) means, but it's 53,715 and I'm level 13. I also just learned that my top speed is 92.6 KM/H!! That's 57.53 MPH!!!! I'm looking at the date and I remember I flew about 1/4 mile into a head wind about 150' up and raced back in sport mode.

The learning curve was pretty flat, especially coming from the Husban X4 and I'm enjoying practicing getting fluid motion shots and articulating the controls for interesting pans and fly-by's - the neighbors dogs have been instrumental in this lol.

The AirMap app has been great at showing me where I can fly, and I've downloaded Litchi but still haven't tried it out - I like the waypoint feature. If there are any other apps or programs anyone thinks might be helpful please let me know!

I plan on posting a sample video as soon as my computer arrives - our old windows machine didn't even want to play the 4K footage let alone try and edit it.

I've registered with the FAA as a hobbyist and I've downloaded and printed the part 107 study guide as I intend to use the P4 for some business purposes. One question I do have is wether or not there are any prerequisites for the part 107 test as far as certifications go.

This forum has been great for learning some tips and tricks about flying, understanding some of the features of the P4, as well as some "what not to do" scenarios. My condolences to those who have lost one, especially one you just got for Christmas. Anyway I wanted to give a thanks for all I have already learned here and introduce myself. Thanks and happy new year!

Reactions: rocketflyer
Welcome to Phantom Pilots! :)

Thanks. I have no idea how to make a new thread on my phone, so I had to steal my wife's iPad.

Oops. Guess I should've posted this in introductions under general. If a moderator would be kind enough to move it... sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Thanks guys. This seems like a great resource and community. Looking forward to diving in and getting some video up.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers