New from Coastal North Carolina

Reaction score
Hi all just bought a P3 standard and ran across the forum. This is my first drone so looking to learn and get to know people with similar interests. I’m from Southport, NC. Will be getting familiar with everything first but looking at mainly hobby flying and fishing at the moment but may decide on real estate photography if I really get into it.

Welcome to the forum .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .:)

Reactions: rattydude77
Welcome to the forum .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .:)
Thanks I’m sure I’ll have lots of pics and videos to share once I get it up and running. Was a brand new/open box unit unfortunately the battery was bricked I assume for being dormant for so long so a replacement is on the way. Seller did issue a partial refund so that was great. Anyway as said looking to use it for fishing and the Gannet bait drop system is on the way as well. Once I get some practice flights in over dry land hopefully I’ll have some good size fish/shark photos as well.

Welcome to the forum. TheP3 is a great drone for fishing. We have some avid drone fishermen on this forum. It's best to learn flying your drone well. Break a rule of drone "physics" over salt water and your drone is toast.
I take off on top of my Phantom 4's Styrofoam case to keep off the sand. Never take off on something metal. Your drone 's compass will become disoriented and the drone will go crazy. Use at least a 3 foot leader to your line or a pendulum affect will make your drone uncontrollable. There are U Tube videos on drone fishing. There are good line release devices for sell, but I made a simple device that works fine for me. Saltwater drone fishing is great fun. Good luck.

Welcome to the forum. TheP3 is a great drone for fishing. We have some avid drone fishermen on this forum. It's best to learn flying your drone well. Break a rule of drone "physics" over salt water and your drone is toast.
I take off on top of my Phantom 4's Styrofoam case to keep off the sand. Never take off on something metal. Your drone 's compass will become disoriented and the drone will go crazy. Use at least a 3 foot leader to your line or a pendulum affect will make your drone uncontrollable. There are U Tube videos on drone fishing. There are good line release devices for sell, but I made a simple device that works fine for me. Saltwater drone fishing is great fun. Good luck.
Thanks for the tips. I plan on a lot of practicing before even thinking of going over water. Even testing my fishing setup with the weight and heaviest bait I plan on using. Good to know there are some other fisherman to ask if I have questions. I’m sure I will.

Thanks for the tips. I plan on a lot of practicing before even thinking of going over water. Even testing my fishing setup with the weight and heaviest bait I plan on using. Good to know there are some other fisherman to ask if I have questions. I’m sure I will.
You bought the best bait dropper, Gannet. It will save your drone. Have fun and send some pics when you gain confidence and start catching. ?

Greetings!

You bought the best bait dropper, Gannet. It will save your drone. Have fun and send some pics when you gain confidence and start catching. ?
Thanks Capt. must admit I’ve lurked a bit and have seen you and a few others around. Yes I did my research on bait droppers and different systems. I liked the fact that you set slightly above the weight your carrying so if a snag or anything hits your line it will just drop instead of plunging the bird into the depths. That’s what sold me on Gannet over other brands/homemade.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum! I live on the other end of the NC coast up on the Outer Banks. Before you use your drone for fishing, you may want to check out North Carolina's drone laws regarding hunting and fishing. I've often thought about using a drone up here to spot schools of fish.
I’ve already contacted wildlife as well as marine fisheries. It’s fine to use a drone for fishing as well as hunting so long as you are not actively taking fish/game with the drone. You can spot fish/drop baits with no issue. I kept the email from marine fisheries as proof just in case I run into problems. So pretty much as long as you don’t feel them up with the drone(don’t know how you could anyway) your fine) same with hunting as long as you don’t mount a gun(highly illegal for civilians anyway) you can hunt as well.

Ok took her out for her virgin flight tonight. Just a small test flight at the church next door. There’s lights so I could see what I was doing and I didn’t really go much outside of the parking lot and only went up like 100ft. Was my virgin flight as well so took it easy getting familiar with the controls,etc. Anyway, I’m hooked and haven’t scratched the surface of what this thing is capable of.

So a little backstory on my P3. I found her on eBay. Was supposedly a brand new never registered, never flown open box. Bid only no buy it now. Looked into the seller and they had 98% rating with like 6700 items sold so figured why not. There was one bid when I bid on it. My bid was $304 and Nobody else ever bid so I won. The bird arrives and the battery is DOA. I assume from sitting dormant for so long. I contact seller and they agree to refund me $60. So now I’m down to $244 +tax and shipping. All said less than $300 for a never flown brand new P3 standard (props still had the plastic on them). No warranty on the battery and probably not the drone either because I don’t have an actual retail receipt, but hopefully I never need it.

I also received my parabolic range extender, Gannet bait dropper, extra gimbal bushings( I was missing 2 of the plastic retainers for some reason), and the new battery today. Up next is a few more batteries. I found a deal on some. I’ll share once I order mine ;), finishing the case I’m building, also ordered filters for the camera. After that I’m done for a while before my wife kills me, but I’m secretly already looking to add another bird in the not to distant future for video/photo and getting my part 107 so I can get into real estate work, etc.

Welcome to the forum! :)

Reactions: AirdropFishing
Battery warranty is only 6 months. New bird is better than used.
Your situation makes me think, I have a used P3s with hard case that I don't use, but never got around to selling it. I hate the hassle of selling things. I take it out and fly it every so often. It makes me appreciate my P4 more. Lol.

Reactions: AirdropFishing
Battery warranty is only 6 months. New bird is better than used.
Your situation makes me think, I have a used P3s with hard case that I don't use, but never got around to selling it. I hate the hassle of selling things. I take it out and fly it every so often. It makes me appreciate my P4 more. Lol.
I bet it does. I looked at the P4 but I couldn’t pull the trigger yet. If I wasn’t planning on mainly using this one for fishing with the occasional photo session maybe. Think I’ll fly the P3S until I’m 100% comfortable then upgrade but keep the P3 for fishing since I have so little in it. Rather lose $300 vs closer to $1k if something we’re to go wrong.

Reactions: WV. Rootman

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20