New Flytrex Goodies

amitregev said:
Onezerosix141 said:
Pull_Up said:
Hello. I have an early-release unit and helped with beta testing. Now it's been released here's an in-depth look - including what you can see "live" here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU8QqwC3kdw

This is the only video out there that was helpful.
When are you guys planning to update the site & add the Flytrex Live supported carrier list?

Hi Onezerosix141 :)

A page l listing supported carriers was added over the weekend and you can check it out here: http://www.flytrex.com/support/flytrex-live/supported-carriers/.

We're working to update this page with new carriers and new countries all the time. Currently waiting for feedback from several new pilots using Live in countries that are still not listed and I hope to have those added today/tomorrow. We will continue updating this page as we gather new information from pilots around the world.

Cool deal. Thanks for the update!
I work with many start ups & small companies, and I see you guys are going through a lot. Good luck!

No doubt!

I would much rather be spending my time working with a company then to be in a up-roar. I hate to have to post about stuff that has such little benefit which explains why I took so long before doing so. And then comes a host of others who have not had the best experience.

However, if they are truely serious about improving those areas I was a part of, then I would prefer to get along with the flytrex group. I wouldn't mind tweaking more with the FLT and closing some of the gaps it has. The 2G part of the FLT in the US, is something that needs addressed, soon. I spent 3 1/2 hours buying two new LG G3 android smart phone yesterday(and yes they are really nice). And with talking to the manager, I asked about the 2G part of what we have going on in the US these days. First thing he said was "2 what?" I said 2G again, and he said he heard me, and then went on to say that 2G is so non existent that it is like Windows 95 here in the US. He said anything we might have in the US that has 2G is only due to something that is also sold in other countries. I asked about cell towers having 2G and he said only ones that yet to be upgraded to 4G.

yariv said:
Hi Guys,
Yariv from Flytrex here.

Sorry for the late responses you've been getting in the past few weeks, you deserve better !
We poorly managed the last month - a few key employees took loonnnngggg vacations on the same time while the remaining team worked on development, production and QA (every Core and Live are checked by our team before shipment).

Anyways, yes to all questions !

Yes, the live records all your missions to the 16MBit memory chip - read more about it in the post we'll be putting soon - there's an option of just removing the SIM card if you are flying in an area without reception - enabling the Flytrex Core functionality.
If you lose reception after you start - the Live still records everything the the internal memory.

Yes, we will soon release a windows program that will enable you to download your missions to the usual file format, as well as to manually change the APN if needed.

The Flytrex Live is a very large step from the Flytrex Core, as can be seen from the electronics (I'm attaching a better image at the end J) just to go over a few features:
It supports firmware updates over the air, something that companies like Samsung and Nokia have done only in the past few years.
It supports world wide GSM, with a quad band antenna on board. Plus a barometer, an accelerometer and a voltage sensor.
It has an internal APN list of every cellular operator in the world (also kept up to date over the air, no worries, we keep the file really small), so you wouldn't usually need to setup a manual APN via the software.

So, yes, we've been very much behind on the standards we set to ourselves - delivering great products on time, having useful up to date information about our products on our website and answering people asap when they need us.
Please bear with us, it is still going to take a few more days until we'll be back to normal operation and to answering emails really fast like we used to. And I'm sorry if I will not able to respond on this thread as much as I'd like, I need to work on making better products and a better experience for you guys :)

I hope we can consider these to be growing pains. We have some great ideas for the future, awesome products in development and an awesome team that can deliver.

Fly safe and always have fun !

Cheers,
Yariv.

Yariv -

I installed the Flytrex Live on my P2V+. It works and I love the technology that Flytrex Live offers. BUT it does NOT work reliably on 2G data in all US markets. I get reliable 3G & 4G in my fly area but 2G is so unreliable that the Live missions are erroneous.

Thanks to Flytrex Live, I've gotten an education on cellular data, spoken with numerous technical support staff at T-Mobile and AT&T, even drove my copter 4 miles to a T-Mobile tower, only to lose the 2G signal in just over 2 miles on the return trip. So for me, I'm screwed because 2G is aging technology and not prevalent in the US (3G & 4G are the dominant data standards.) I'm sure many will indeed have a solid 2G signal but apparently AT&T has announced that they are discontinuing 2G service and T-Mobile is also limiting service. This is more than I ever wanted to know about cellular data. I just want to fly and enjoy the hobby.

I made a bad decision jumping on this bleeding edge technology before learning about the limitations.

That reply is somewhat true. 2G is supported with many GSM cell towers in US but it's given the lowest priority. With US finally about to transition to LTE & faster, that's when I believe they'll totally dropped.

It's not like it went from 2G to 3G. There were 2, 2.5, 2.7, then 3G. 2G is also know as PCS. PCS was first deployed in mid 90's in US by Sprint for pagers. Yup. Some of you remember those pagers that got texts right? PCS/2G was for that. Then Sprint sold PCS GSM to OmniPoint then got bought out buy VoiceStream, then now T-mobile.

I would definitely like to know why go for 2G. I hope Flytrex folks can shed some light on this.

I apologize for the useless US telco history. I just wanted all to know how old 2G exactly is ^_^

Onezerosix141 said:
That reply is somewhat true. 2G is supported with many GSM cell towers in US but it's given the lowest priority. With US finally about to transition to LTE & faster, that's when I believe they'll totally dropped.

It's not like it went from 2G to 3G. There were 2, 2.5, 2.7, then 3G. 2G is also know as PCS. PCS was first deployed in mid 90's in US by Sprint for pagers. Yup. Some of you remember those pagers that got texts right? PCS/2G was for that. Then Sprint sold PCS GSM to OmniPoint then got bought out buy VoiceStream, then now T-mobile.

I would definitely like to know why go for 2G. I hope Flytrex folks can shed some light on this.

I apologize for the useless US telco history. I just wanted all to know how old 2G exactly is ^_^

Great post!

This has me wondering how likely will it be that once the FLT is upgrade to better work in the US, how much additional money will it cost us each month?

I have to say I am happy that Flytrex cancelled my order on the live and I am going to use a Core 2 until someone comes out with better cellular technology.

Scary to rely on this as a tracking device when the coverage is so spotty.

My Marco Polo should be here mid week :D

Today battery voltage shows up on the flytrex mission page. Not yet added to the csv export though.

What SIM card is everyone using for their Live? I just went to t-mobile and ATnT asking if they sold 2g SIM cards and both looked at me like I had an arm growing out of my head.

pilotbcm20 said:
What SIM card is everyone using for their Live? I just went to t-mobile and ATnT asking if they sold 2g SIM cards and both looked at me like I had an arm growing out of my head.

If you're in US, get pre-paid data SIM. You have to call or ask at the store to have 2G GPRS activated

Onezerosix141 said:
pilotbcm20 said:

If you're in US, get pre-paid data SIM. You have to call or ask at the store to have 2G GPRS activated

Where do you buy these pre-paid SIM cards at?

pilotbcm20 said:

For T-Mobile just get their $10/month 1 gigabyte plan. I didn't have to do anything special. The Flytrex is a 2G device and will connect 2G as long as 2G coverage is available. Check the T-Mobile 2G coverage map before buying to make sure your area is covered.

Dirty Bird said:
pilotbcm20 said:

For T-Mobile just get their $10/month 1 gigabyte plan. I didn't have to do anything special. The Flytrex is a 2G device and will connect 2G as long as 2G coverage is available. Check the T-Mobile 2G coverage map before buying to make sure your area is covered.

When i went to T-Mobile yesterday and asked if they still sold 2G sim cards the guy told me they didn't have them anymore. Is there something else I should be asking for? What specific SIM card did buy and how did you get it?

SIM card shouldn't matter if you're running at 2G, 3G, or 4G.
You should get t-mobile store rep or yourself call them to see if your area still have 2G coverage. If you get the data plan, it should work as long as your area has 2G coverage ^_^

pilotbcm20 said:
When i went to T-Mobile yesterday and asked if they still sold 2G sim cards the guy told me they didn't have them anymore. Is there something else I should be asking for? What specific SIM card did buy and how did you get it?

I ordered mine online from T-Mobile. You just need a T-Mobile MicroSIM with a data plan. I got the $10/month 1 gigabyte plan, which is free through 2014 if you already have a T-Mobile Voice line (not sure if that promo is still active?). The MicroSIM & Plan is 4G/LTE capable, but that doesn't matter. It is backwards compatible with 3G/2G and, as the Flytrex Live is only a 2G device, it will only connect at 2G speeds. I did not have to do anything special to make mine work. You are going to first want to check the 2G Coverage Map and make sure your area is covered.

Link to T-Mobile MicroSIM & 1gb Data Plan:

http://www.t-mobile.com/add-to-cart.step2.mbb.28dadb7f-4b5e-4e02-8db6-71c7666097ad.html

T-Mobile 2G Data Coverage Map: Enter your address then click the 2G/Voice tab above the map.

http://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/pcc.aspx/

A T-mobile rep told me the other day that there is a free 200mb/month plan... I said Free? She said yes, you can sign up for it online... hmmmm..... 200mb should actually be enough based on the data rates i've seen reported...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl