New Flytrex Goodies

rrmccabe said:
I am sure the Flytrex Live is the hot deal. Just not sure I want to sign up with T-Mobile and deal with a company that doesn't respond in a timely manner.

I've been with T-Mobile since 2001 and never had a problem. I just hope the Live becomes 4G/3G compatible, as 2G support here in the states seems to be waning.

I am not worried about the T-Mobile part.

But I am with you I don't like the fact that they have built this latest flight technology using something that's on the way out.

My issue is buying from a company that doesn't do well with correspondence and its several weeks away delivery. By time I get it I will be coming into months were its getting cold and I wont be flying.

If they came out with a statement saying that the thing was upgradable via firmware and 4g was coming, I might be more inclined to bite.

But right now they just got a few things going against them which is partly my flying schedule.

I ordered a Live about a week ago and after reading this forum I'm starting to wonder if I should cancel it cause of the 2g service. I live in Atlanta,GA and 2g in the area is on the way out along with the rest of the country. Has anyone not been able to connect at all in any area state side with the Live?

My Live isn't here yet, but I have two concerns. First, is it possible to enable 4G/3G support in the current chipset, or will it require a new Live? (note that a 4G/3G chipset should be backwards compatible with 2G/Edge for rural connectivity). My second concern is I wish they had made the power connection a modular plug into the Live, as is the data connector. Once you solder it in, it is not a simple task to remove, or to swap between airframes should you desire to do to. I will probably install a connector on the power cable to make it simpler to disconnect the Live.

From what I understand the live has a 2G modem. There will be no firmware to bring it up to 3G/4G. We can only hope for a future product. It is nice the live monitors battery voltage however so far you can't get that data after you fly. Hopefully future website updates will provide at least a CSV export with that data.

I am embarrassed to say after all my bitching I ordered a live and t mobile today. Lol.

So hope they ship soon.

DronePilot said:
From what I understand the live has a 2G modem. There will be no firmware to bring it up to 3G/4G. We can only hope for a future product. It is nice the live monitors battery voltage however so far you can't get that data after you fly. Hopefully future website updates will provide at least a CSV export with that data.

It shouldn't be an issue for it to report back voltage data - I'm sure it's on a lot of people's wish list. Regarding the cell providers, it can in theory work with any 2G network even if it won't automatically take the correct data network settings - the usb port is there to allow a configuration utility to manually set the relevant APNs, etc, etc,. But for launch I think they wanted to have some providers that they knew would work out of the box without having to get anyone to reach for any "power user" tools, as it were. It's why in testing for them, out of two possible providers I narrowed it down to in the UK (based mainly on the fact that your credit on the SIM doesn't expire with them) we went with GiffGaff because it just worked without a problem.

So what happens when you fly a mission and there is no cellular signal? Is the entire mission still recorded in memory until a cellar signal is achieved? How much memory is there to accommodate missions for this purpose?

GfFlyer said:
Where is the best source to order the core 2 ?

i just bought a core 2 (49.99) + cable (8.99) in ebay :)

srandall25 said:
So what happens when you fly a mission and there is no cellular signal? Is the entire mission still recorded in memory until a cellar signal is achieved? How much memory is there to accommodate missions for this purpose?
anyone using the new Flytrex Live and able to answer this question above?

At least with the current live firmware it appears that data is not cached at all. If it doesn't connect there is no data. If it looses connection in flight the data during that time where connection is lost is also lost. Often times my live does not connect to the network until its in the air and then the data doesn't start until that point. Therefore the data has an altitude offset issue. I have had flights where connection is lost in flight and then the active flight is closed and when my bird returns the flytrex live still has a green light indicating its connected however the flight was closed half way through so the rest of the data is lost.

DronePilot said:
At least with the current live firmware it appears that data is not cached at all. If it doesn't connect there is no data. If it looses connection in flight the data during that time where connection is lost is also lost. Often times my live does not connect to the network until its in the air and then the data doesn't start until that point. Therefore the data has an altitude offset issue. I have had flights where connection is lost in flight and then the active flight is closed and when my bird returns the flytrex live still has a green light indicating its connected however the flight was closed half way through so the rest of the data is lost.
wow.. this is really disappointing to here... mainly because i have a perfectly good working Core 2. I wonder if i can use both...?

Flytrex Live Support

Flytrex Live Support Non Existent

Most can agree I have without doubt done my share of promoting the flytrex live tracker. However, since receiving my own live tracker from flytrex starting on day one things began to go to hell. Since then altogether I have had one of the worse experiences with an over seas business.

I made a huge mistake in not sharing the stuff that was going on as it happened. There were some members here on the site that did make some attempts to get to share what was going on. I think now that they were right and maybe I should have spoken up.

Flytrex provides such a small amount of instructions and details on what a person is to do after purchasing their products that it really ends up killing that rush you're suppose to get after getting something new. Unfortunately I'm not a mind reader, and the last thing I want to do is hook something up wrong and cause additional issues.

With nobody else having one of these devices, I had to rely on flytrex to answer any questions I had. For this I had either social media or email for support. Problem is they never responded to any support question I had. After sending 4 emails with no response to any of them, I then sent a email and let them know I was at this point getting pissed. Also at this point I let them know how I had to spend over 10 hours with T-Mobile who they recommended for those of us in the US. That day I spoke with 19 total tech's and 1 supervisor. They knew nothing with the info flytrex provided at that time.

I have since sent about 6 emails to flytrex live support for 2 weeks now with none of them being responded to. We have even pleaded with them to please respond so that we can get much needed support for the Live Tracking device. My Mission info stopped displaying on the flytrex site after I attempted to create a new facebook account. I noticed a activation code was required again, so I sent a email to support for help which was never responded to. So we went back to old facebook account and logged in but still no info showing in Missions area on flytrex site.

At this point I happen to notice the indicator light was staying solid Red and not flashing on the live tracker. I powered down my vision plus, and then back up again expecting it to go through the normal color changes of red, purple, green. But it never changes from a solid red. At this point I discovered a cut wire right where the wire goes into the small white plug in the side of the device. It looked like it happened at assembly, and it had like two strands of wire that originally was all that was making a connection. More email attempts were made plus attaching a image of the broken wire harness wire.

After 10 days I finally received a email from flytrex support. This email only mentioned the trouble I had with T-Mobile. It also included something about updating their website, and other unmentioned updates. No mention of my account not working, or my live tracker not working, or the broken wire harness.

I'm going to call a dealer here in the US and order a new harness. I hope I can get it working again.

I understand flytrex was struggling getting their product to their customers, but to not maintain support for those that they already sold to, is beyond me. And if I got upset and told them I was, so what! What would you expect when you ignore emails not respond.

I apologize for the length of this post. But it is actually a extremely trimmed down version.

Attachments

• brokewire.jpg
    brokewire.jpg
    683.5 KB · Views: 336
Hi Frank

I hope you get it sorted out soon. I have a Flytrex Live sat here on my desk that I was excited about receiving but since reading the rather negative posts about it here and there have rather lost the interest of installing/using it. I currently have a Core2 fitted which is just bulletproof and I would be mightily pissed to find some of my flights were not logged (how can a £25 unit maintain a flight log even with no SD Card inserted but a £200 unit cannot). Like you I also had need to contact Flytrex via FB regarding lack of maps on their Explore page and it took them days to respond. I have also discovered, like someone else, that the quality of wiring harness is quite suspect. Following another post on their FB page I checked the harness and with the slightest of tugs all the wires pulled out from the heat sleeve and one of the connections was totally bare. This I posted over 2 weeks ago and thus far not a snip of a response.

I am actually thinking now of putting my unused Flytrex Live unit on eBay, so if there is anyone looking for one please get in touch (I am in the UK) and grab a reduced cost unused unit, with a now perfect DJI wiring harness :)

Thanks for the support wattsn. These type of things matter when the community sticks together. And not only with flytrex but any and all other businesses that come along that may want to operate with a hidden agenda.

After I put my time and money into this setup is when I began thinking about what it is I actually have. When I found out I have no option to get to stored data, was a big set back. A company in the middle of war, and what happens when they experience a simple power outage. Means my device is rendered useless, dead weight. I asked in one of the non returned emails when will we get to download software to communicate with the device so we can get our data. Instead of answering they chose to not respond.

I bought and received a GSM/GPRS/GPS Tracker the day before I heard of the flytrex device. It was a great price $49.99 no attached fee's other then $10 a month 1gig data SIM card. I may do the same as what you're doing. $200 invested and no support is not good anyway.

srandall25 said:
any chance we can run a Core 2 and Live simultaneously?

Yeah I don't see why not. But...I'm not so sure how the GPS will hold out with two devices connected to it? There may need to be x-amount of current supplied to each device that wont be possible with a double connection.

I predict they will set the Live up to store files like the core2 does.

It might be time to crack open a Live device and see what we got to work with. Based on how flytrex treated me, I wont have any problem letting the hackers do what we know they can do.

I just had an attempted delivery on the Flytrex Live today. I wasn't there to accept. I'm seriously thinking of refusing to accept the package due to this whole lack of caching the mission data. This is a huge deal. I don't want to be dependent on my T-Mobile service to provide me my missions... If there is a lack of cellular signal, i'm hosed. If i decide to cancel my $10/month service, I no longer can get my missions. Due to all the hype of the recent lack in Flytrex customer support, i'm afraid if I refuse shipment, they will not properly track my return and I will be out $200... I'm just not sure I want to chance opening the box on this and finding out the same problems everyone else is reporting and then I'm out $200 because I've already used the device and soldered into my unit... Thoughts anyone?

Ok here we go....worlds 1st look at the inside the Flytrex Live Tracker. Next we'll get them sent over to iBoz and iZoom to begin working their magic.

Attachments

• FT1a.jpg
    FT1a.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 358
  • FT2a.jpg
    FT2a.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 344

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members