New Firmware date is set.

DJI's adding autopilot features to Phantom 3 drones next week

DJI pleased Phantom owners recently when it announced that much-needed autopilot features would be coming to its most popular series of quadcopters, and the Inspire 1. Today, we learn when (September 7th) and how (via a good ole' firmware update). The new flight features include Waypoints (map out a path in advance, and the quad will follow it), Point of Interest (the quad flies around a set object with the camera remaining fixed on it) and Follow Me (you can guess what that does -- only coming to Phantom 3, not Inspire 1). There are also two features specific for the Phantom 3 Standard which make it easier to fly the quadcopter back to you should you lose your orientation -- these are already available on DJI's other craft. Finally, Phantom 3 Advance owners get a nice bonus, with the addition of a 2.7K (2704x1520) camera recording option -- a solid bump up from 1080p.

Want they have to update the go app as well to include the new features?

So is it going to be a whole new firmware update for the P3 or just a DJI GO app update?

That reminds me, when I go home I have to switch off auto update on my ipad mini 2.

Hey! The website is working right again. I didn't post the same message 8 times.

Reactions: JohnK
Why doesnt pro get 2.7k video? Not fair :(

IF they had it for the P3P it would be a novelty if nothing more.
This just gives the P3A guy's a little better editing down to 1080p.
Why would you not want the 4K route? Unless you have a computer that can't handle it I guess.

Reactions: RCPILOT
So if i read well:

I will get a bonus record from 1090P to 2.7K???

I own a Advanced P3...

You will start shooting all the time in 2.7k and then Converting to 1080p and get a little extra quality out of it.
It won't be close to 4k but better than what you have now.
That's a Good thing and older computers mite handle it better.

Reactions: Mordor
Hopefully the manual will be updated with how to use these features.

Would be great if they would pre-release the learning/instructional material to give us all a head start.

Hopefully the manual will be updated with how to use these features.

Yeah they do fail in that area of release stuff huh. I would think...
The DJI GO will Defiantly be Upgraded... We will need stinking buttons to push! :)
The goal was to have the APP do the firmware and make it less troublesome.
You know how many ( Put the Bin in the Rooters we always have? ) :)

Reactions: Volkhard
To quote myself, and ask the question again, does anyone have any knowledge as to whether this firmware update will fully support the SDK developer's apps?

I hope there is some confirmation as to whether this new firmware will finally fully support the SDK developers. From the looks of it, the DJI product will have basic functions, which may be fine for the casual user, but the developers products will be feature-rich giving the user all the bells and whistles they have been asking for during the Alpha and Beta testing modes. Not to mention that some of the third party apps don't have the arbitrary restrictions that the DJI software puts in. They have more video channels, and no altitude restrictions. Seems to me there will be room for everyone in this game.

What is the SDK things you guys are talking about?
And will there be a App update only or software update for the phantom also?

Humm....

OFFTOPIC:

How diferent is Advanced from Profissional? I wonder.....if the hardware is the same.... ;-)

Well.....maybe i install and jump from 1.1.9....

Hardware is the same unless the camera, and the professional have a faster charger.
Think that`s all. Try google professional vs advanced..

SDK is the Developer's Firmware project. It is at the very bottom of this page: Phantom 3 Professional & Advanced - Features | DJI

DJI gave out some of their code to programmers and app developers so that they can work on new apps which will do all the things (and more) that this new firmware update will do. Many of these third parties, like Litchi, Ultimate Flight, and several others have developed robust feature filled apps that are already doing all the things that are mentioned in this firmware update. These apps are mostly in beta form right now and are being tested. DJI has not released a public firmware version that supports these apps. In other words, if you have the latest public release from DJI, and you try testing one of these new apps for the P3P or the P3A, the features may not work correctly. DJI has a second set of firmware made specifically for the developers. If you choose to test any of these apps, you need to be running the developer's firmware to do it. The last update from DJI was supposed to support all the features in the SDK development protocol, but as it turns out, it was, in fact, not fully supported. Since I an beta testing two of these apps, I don't want to upgrade to the latest public firmware if it does not fully support the SDK project.

I hope that explains it.

What is the SDK things you guys are talking about?
And will there be a App update only or software update for the phantom also?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mattnn