New fan noise from VPS

Reaction score
Upon return from a flight I noticed my P3A had a strange buzzing sound, not thinking anything of it I just powered it off and waited for the next flight.

Well shes still doing it, Ive removed the gimbal and wires, that was not the source of the sound. It seems like its coming from the VPS or inside the battery, almost like a fan or high pitched constant humming sound.

Im not seeing any difference in performance, I just let her sit under GPS @ 20ft altitude and hover for the entire battery. The battery reached 37C and its about 50farenhiet tonight.

Please post a video so we can hear what you're describing.

There is a fan inside of the VPS and it does make an audible noise while running. It's hard to tell how loud it is in real life since video recorders often amplify the sound a bit. It's never going to be silent though if that's what you were expecting.

My phantom was pretty silent to where I could not even tell before, why does the VPS make noise, im pretty sure something has changed.

Here's the fan I'm referring to:

P3-VPS-Fan.png

I suppose it's possible that your previous unit had a quieter fan.

My mistake. I thought I read your Phantom was returned from DJI. Regardless, there is a fan in the VPS and it does make noise.

Would dissasembly of the VPS to check the function of the fan void my warranty

Unauthorized disassembly of your Phantom could void parts of your warranty (per DJI's warranty).

After leaving her overnight 9 hours she barely made the sound at startup and within one minute it got progressively louder

Maybe contact DJI Support and see what they think?

Sounds like dust or debris has entered the fan housing

That is what DJ I support said. I blew some compressed air into there and it still hasn't changed

You may only be able to free the debris by opening it up but that's your call. If your detecting warmer temps than normal then l'd say SOMEBODY is gonna have to clean it. Good luck

Im not sure what higher than normal temps are, I really never looked in the past, it just hit 47C during an 11:00 flight.

I meant the vps to the touch

It's always gonna be warm. Just keep an eye on it and maybe some more compressed air

I have just bought a P3A last week and I got the same problem. Little bit upset because of how come a brand new out of the sealed box already sounds abnormal. I flew P3P before but its noise was much more quiet than my P3A.

I suspected the noise came from VPS area.. as I read the thread above the VPS fan might be the source of this noise.

I opened the VPS cover and detached the module, and then tried to power on the aircraft. Surprisingly there was no buzzing noise anymore. I think the module was tightened quite a bit and somehow the fan touched the other parts. I put everything back again, and the buzzing noise has gone now.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl