New FAA rules/maps for near airport flights coming

The key take away here is this:

"The maps will be informational only. They do not automatically authorize flights. Remote pilots must still submit online airspace authorization applications at Unmanned Aircraft Systems. The maps also do not guarantee approval for requests within the guidelines indicated by the maps. Only the FAA can grant controlled airspace access, which must be done through the authorization process. "

Reactions: AlanTheBeast
the key take-away for me is that airspace authorizations "should" take much less time to be executed, as long as the request is within the map guidelines. Looks like the FAA is really trying to help commercial pilots with simple requests.

article only mentions authorizations. wonder if/how it will affect waiver requests?

Cool! I'm looking at a nearby airport, Northwest Alabama Regional, which is Class E sfc. I like the graduated ceilings from 0 to 400ft at the edge of the Class E sfc radius. Essentially, this would help in applying for authorization if I wanted to fly within that Class E sfc area, that I could put what my location would be and that I would stay below X ft according to the map? Is that correct?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    694.4 KB · Views: 333
Reactions: BigAl07
Crap! Only 2 listed for Ohio, and mine isn't one of them:mad:

I could put what my location would be and that I would stay below X ft according to the map
I think that's how this is all supposed to work. I thought I heard that when ATC received these requests, they would look at your mapping height and at these maps to see if you posed a hazard. Hopefully this is all done automatically and will allow for faster assessment times.

Cool! I'm looking at a nearby airport, Northwest Alabama Regional, which is Class E sfc. I like the graduated ceilings from 0 to 400ft at the edge of the Class E sfc radius. Essentially, this would help in applying for authorization if I wanted to fly within that Class E sfc area, that I could put what my location would be and that I would stay below X ft according to the map? Is that correct?

Right now that's exactly what this is meant to be. It's a template to help you in your request. If you see the area you're wanting to fly only allows 200' then you know to NOT ask for 400' because it won't happen.

This is only a template for Authorizations (per the FAA) but I have to guess that it would also help you to know how/what to ask for in Waivers as well.

Is it me or are all the grids way offset from the actual airports

Don't know, the Findlay grid seems to be pretty well centered over the airport with the zero sections on the airport or along the approach and departure paths. Just wish they had included Springfield too!

I'll recheck when I get home. Maybe I missed checking a box or something.

Last edited:
The one listed local to me (KDKX) it's spot on over the airport.

Is it me or are all the grids way offset from the actual airports
The grids are actual Lat / Long. lines by minutes. You can see this as the Lat. / Lon. is displayed in the bottom left corner of the may as you move your mouse over the grid.

Rechecked not on phone. I see it now. Wasn't able to zoom in enough to get enough detail on the map. Sorry guys

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl