New database promises drone no-fly zone around your house

Reaction score
Re: New database promises drone no-fly zone around your hous

Seems like he really thought it out. No verification you own the property or have any rights to it at all, 500' exclusion area intrudes on those who want to fly "next door," etc, etc.

pretty funny

He hopes others will join in time, but adherence to the database is purely voluntary and the no-fly zone list isn’t legally binding. It won’t guarantee that drones won’t buzz over or near your house.

Well Tom, it looks like our peeping days are over, the last thing we'd wanna do is violate someone's voluntary no fly zone. :roll:

Is this for real? :lol: I think it would be easier to have a sign up for people who DO want drones to fly nearby as the list for no flying will be everyone. And did I see plans to charge a fee for some sort of premium nothing? LOL!

its a good try perhaps it will catch on and become legit!

Things are happening very fast in this space

but you don't own the airspace above your house so thats a load of shiite haha

Reactions: J.James

Snake oil. This company is selling a solution that can't be practically applied, to a problem that doesn't exist, to people wearing aluminum foil hats. I wish I had thought of the idea.

(also posted on the duplicate thread)

Reactions: J.James

Alib said:
but you don't own the airspace above your house so thats a load of shiite haha

Completely agree with you, but like one of the posts from last week said, as long as companies are able to push firmware updates to our quads, THEY control where we can go, along with the FAA here in the US

sdtrojan said:
Completely agree with you, but like one of the posts from last week said, as long as companies are able to push firmware updates to our quads, THEY control where we can go, along with the FAA here in the US
Then buy another drone. The 3DR products are built with open-source hardware software and if there is some kind of no-fly zone in the public source code release, you can just delete it.

As I said in another post, it's a marketing move by DJI, but they probably didn't ask their legal team. If they advertise that you can't fly in airport or prohibited zones and someone figures out how to defeat the feature then crashed with bad results, I guarantee that DJI would be named in the resulting lawsuit for not preventing the operator's workaround.

SteveMann said:
Here's the article: http://www.cio.com/article/2882173/new-database-promises-drone-nofly-zone-around-your-house.html
When I first saw the headline, my first thought was LOL. :D
Then I read the article and LOL became ROFL. :lol:

Steve has heard be before,

I would like to propose a no phone zone list, where the phone makers using the internal GPS must disable the camera when it is on one of these zones. I can hear a drone but I can hear someone on foot holding the camera up to one of my windows. I think that this is a much larger problem.

If authorities think that there are enough rules in place to address the use of phones then I guess there are already enough rules in place to address camera use on a drone.

Bill

This control mess is a touchy subject for me. The fact that I live12 miles from the center of the white house, outside of Washington, D.C., in the State of Maryland, means the 15 mile radius no-fly zone they are trying to implement will prohibit me from flying in my own **** neighborhood. This was not in place when I invested $1300 in DJI product.

DJI panicked and didn't think through their solution properly.

Reactions: vanwezel

djsydvicious said:
This control mess is a touchy subject for me. The fact that I live12 miles from the center of the white house, outside of Washington, D.C., in the State of Maryland, means the 15 mile radius no-fly zone they are trying to implement will prohibit me from flying in my own **** neighborhood. This was not in place when I invested $1300 in DJI product.

Your short term solution is not to upgrade your software. Not much of a solution but it's all we have right now.

LuvMyTJ said:
djsydvicious said:

Your short term solution is not to upgrade your software. Not much of a solution but it's all we have right now.
Yep, I UnPlugged my network connection when I did an IMU calibration the other day. It's crazy. I'm way out in the Maryland suburbs of DC. Yet, I'm caught up in their 15 mile radius. It's crazy.

I'm sure I will be forced to upgrade at some point though. Yep, I'm bitter about it all.

So I wonder how long before some one will get a list of people who have some thing to hide and dont want drones flying over. and then getting some one with a drone wanting to go see what it is they are so afraid of some one seeing from the air. I know my self any time I hear of any one being paranoid about a drone flying over there property I always wonder what it is they have going on that they are so freaked out about any one seeing. I always wonder which one it is.. meth lab or pot field. Or the proverbial pile of dead hookers in there back yard that they were too careless to even cover with a tarp.

Is this for real? :lol: I think it would be easier to have a sign up for people who DO want drones to fly nearby as the list for no flying will be everyone. And did I see plans to charge a fee for some sort of premium nothing? LOL!
From what I heard, Airmap teamed up with them too. Seriously? I thought the FAA can only declare a NFZ? This website merge with Airmap just might debunk Airmap's reputation along with DJI for teaming up with them too. I remember seeing the FAA saying I can legally fly over a property so long as I maintain an altitude above 85ft.

How is this done? I have an ipad mini 3 I bought just for this Phantom.

It seems like every 3 weeks I open the DJI app and its been updated without my help. I'd like to just keep the firmware and software as is for the next year or 2 and not have to deal with these drone politics.

But how is this done? I just turn off wifi on the ipad. But then how do we cache maps from google before a flight?

How is this done? I have an ipad mini 3 I bought just for this Phantom.

It seems like every 3 weeks I open the DJI app and its been updated without my help. I'd like to just keep the firmware and software as is for the next year or 2 and not have to deal with these drone politics.

But how is this done? I just turn off wifi on the ipad. But then how do we cache maps from google before a flight?
Go to your settings and click on Notifications. Then find your GoApp and click on the button to stop auto updates. You'll still be able to cache your maps by leaving your wifi on.

Reactions: R2-D2

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl