New Buckeye Drone Pilot, Phantom 4

Reaction score
Hello all. So this is my first "real" drone. I told my wife last year I wanted a drone and not to buy me one for Christmas as I'm very particular about my electronics. I knew I wanted the P4 and just needed the right opportunity. Well, last year, being the loving wife she is, she did find me a drone. No idea of the name or anything but as I tried to be appreciative, after the first flight, I knew it was going to be rough. I asked her where she bought it and it was Kroger. Ha, so, that drone flew right into the tree the first time(and survived!) and then she said, see, what if that was a more expensive one. I told her the one I'm looking at the should be easier to fly(it will be, right?). After 3 minutes of trying to learn the controls and make it hover above my head, the batteries died and she didn't understand why I was done so quick.

So, I have my P4 ordered and looking forward to it arriving this week. I may not get to fly it much right away because being in Ohio and winter, I saw the operating temp is 32 and above. My days are numbered for those types of temps but after a quick scan of the Phantom 4 forum, I didn't see any beginner tips. I want this to be a successful adventure so looking to you guys for advice. Any threads out there that give a good overview on how to fly these things?

Any help will be appreciated.

Last edited:
Reactions: arnoldd and Ohioste
Download the manual from the DJI website and read it........SEVERAL times, I might add. It will behuve you to do so..........Welcome Aboard......

Reactions: Ohioste
Welcome to the forum .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .:)

Welcome to PhantomPilots! Also a Buckeye, Dayton, Ohio area. Fly safe and have fun!

Hello,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum.
I hope that you will be able to use the forum to further your safety knowledge and for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in DJI quadcopters.
*GO 4 APP MANUAL: DJI Go 4 Manual
wreath_sm.png

Read the instructions
Do all the updates at home before you go out
Get the Dji care within 48hrs of registering your drone (if you want it of course)
Check return to home is set to return to home....not hover unless you are flying inside
1st flight in a wide open area (Not your patio or lounge)
1st flight in beginner mode or as many flights until you’re confidence is ok

Thanks all. I’m just on the northwest side of Columbus for those other buckeyes out there.

Started reading some of the manual last night. Drone is scheduled to arrive Wednesday so will try to have it all done by then.

Thanks again!

Finally got the drone up yesterday. Work and weather allowed for it.

Anyone know where I can get labels made just in case I lost it. I’m still in beginner mode at the moment but at some point want to go farther.

You can get them HERE, put your contact info in instead of the FAA number.

Hello all. So this is my first "real" drone. I told my wife last year I wanted a drone and not to buy me one for Christmas as I'm very particular about my electronics. I knew I wanted the P4 and just needed the right opportunity. Well, last year, being the loving wife she is, she did find me a drone. No idea of the name or anything but as I tried to be appreciative, after the first flight, I knew it was going to be rough. I asked her where she bought it and it was Kroger. Ha, so, that drone flew right into the tree the first time(and survived!) and then she said, see, what if that was a more expensive one. I told her the one I'm looking at the should be easier to fly(it will be, right?). After 3 minutes of trying to learn the controls and make it hover above my head, the batteries died and she didn't understand why I was done so quick.

So, I have my P4 ordered and looking forward to it arriving this week. I may not get to fly it much right away because being in Ohio and winter, I saw the operating temp is 32 and above. My days are numbered for those types of temps but after a quick scan of the Phantom 4 forum, I didn't see any beginner tips. I want this to be a successful adventure so looking to you guys for advice. Any threads out there that give a good overview on how to fly these things?

Any help will be appreciated.
If I remember correctly, the app that you download has a pretty good walk through video. If not I would just go to YouTube. There are plenty P4 Pros that have easy tutorial videos. The controls are pretty easy, I think. I don't know if you play video games, but its just like flying the helicopter in GTA5. Welcome to Phantom Pilots!!!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik