New battery counterfeit or have DJI started cheaping out? (pics)

Reaction score
So I bought a 'genuine' DJI 4480mah P3 battery.

Battery works and GO app doesn't say it's non-genuine.

However, the battery has never fit well and I have realized it does not actually 'click' in. It can be pulled out without pressing the tabs. I only noticed this today.

And looking at under the 'head' of the battery it looks like this (pic below). It looks much cheaper and different. The first thing I noticed when I bought it was that the color is not a frost white like the drone and original battery, as it is creamy or yellowish white.

Attachments

• 2018-04-23 17.14.38.jpg
    2018-04-23 17.14.38.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 781
  • 2018-04-23 17.13.37.jpg
    2018-04-23 17.13.37.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 802
Got photos of the front and back of the battery?

Reactions: UpLift Aerial
Here are some more pics with suspected fake on the left.

Attachments

• 2018-04-24 15.51.10.jpg
    2018-04-24 15.51.10.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 701
  • 2018-04-24 15.46.16.jpg
    2018-04-24 15.46.16.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 606
How about the front? Where did you buy this battery?

How about the front? Where did you buy this battery?
Sure no problem apologies for any graininess it's night here and phone is low on battery ( flash disabled).

I bought it from an eBay seller. Seems Australian-based but the name in messenger is in Chinese. However, judging by the postage time it was sent from in country.

Attachments

• 2018-04-24 18.57.25.jpg
    2018-04-24 18.57.25.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 531
  • 2018-04-24 19.07.06.jpg
    2018-04-24 19.07.06.jpg
    447.5 KB · Views: 487
Last edited:
That looks like an OEM battery to me. I wouldn't use it if it doesn't click into place.

Last edited:
That looks like an OEM battery to me. I wouldn't use it if it doesn't click into place though.
That's what the seller tells me but dayum has quality gone downhill. I've arranged for an exchange but waiting for them to cover return postage.

Last edited:
That looks like an OEM battery to me. I wouldn't use it if it doesn't click into place though.
Is it possible that it’s just a good counterfeit? I know from buying other types of batteries on eBay that some counterfeits are difficult to detect. Haven’t read that specifically about DJI batteries but something to keep in mind.

Reactions: KentA
Is it possible that it’s just a good counterfeit?
Anything is possible. However, I've never seen a third party (or counterfeit) battery that looks nearly identical to a known OEM battery. I have seen OEM batteries that don't fit well though.

Anything is possible. However, I've never seen a third party (or counterfeit) battery that looks nearly identical to a known OEM battery. I have seen OEM batteries that don't fit well though.
Just to clarify: I may not made this obvious enough in my post but I’m drawing a distinction between third party vs. counterfeit. The former I consider legit aftermarket replacements. The latter are knockoffs intended to deceive the buyer into believing it’s an OEM. Used to happen with (for example) cellphone batteries all the time and it was always buyer beware.

If you (msinger) have not run across anything like that for DJI batts then that’s probably a good sign that nobody is doing that at this time.

Is it possible that it’s just a good counterfeit? I know from buying other types of batteries on eBay that some counterfeits are difficult to detect. Haven’t read that specifically about DJI batteries but something to keep in mind.
That's a valid point but if this is in fact a fake then it's a poor one. It acts like a genuine battery but build quality of the shell sucks! Originally, it even had a burr that I had to shave off the bottom of it to get it to fit!

That's a valid point but if this is in fact a fake then it's a poor one. It acts like a genuine battery but build quality of the shell sucks! Originally, it even had a burr that I had to shave off the bottom of it to get it to fit!

So you had to shave something off? Hope they still accept it back. If I had to modify the battery in any way it would of never been used.

So you had to shave something off? Hope they still accept it back. If I had to modify the battery in any way it would of never been used.
Yea i know it's pathetic that i had to to do that right? Especially with an allegedly genuine battery. At the time this battery came in the mail I was forced to use it because I had no other battery; the original one was being sent off to DJI for replacement as it was getting over 100 major deviations in cell 1.

I'm not going to tell the seller that i shaved anything. If they do not accept it there will be hell to pay via negative feedback and ebay and paypal's resolution centre.

Last edited:
So I bought a 'genuine' DJI 4480mah P3 battery.

Battery works and GO app doesn't say it's non-genuine.

However, the battery has never fit well and I have realized it does not actually 'click' in. It can be pulled out without pressing the tabs. I only noticed this today.

And looking at under the 'head' of the battery it looks like this (pic below). It looks much cheaper and different. The first thing I noticed when I bought it was that the color is not a frost white like the drone and original battery, as it is creamy or yellowish white.

I had purchased an aftermarket battery that fits the same way. Does not seem to click in like the originals.

I bought a knock off once and have used it on my P3 Adv. and worked fine, but I could tell the lights on the top of the battery were different then the OEM batteries, I still use it once in a while , but now only OEM for sure.
SteveP55

I bought 2 third party batteries and they work just as well as the OEMs. They don't click in the same as the OEMs, but I make sure they are snug before I even put it down for take off. I have never had one be loose after a full flight either. I have full confidence in these third party batteries. The only difference, other than markings and LED brightness is that they take a little longer to charge. Same flight time, maybe even longer since they are newer.

Reactions: Neon Euc

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl