New Argtek Mod Installed Today

Reaction score
So today my Argtek Blue Proton range extender arrived. I immediately installed it and took to the skies. It had just finished raining in Watch Hill Anderson township Cincinnati Ohio where I live. I was only able to get out to 2,500ft in this area with probably over 1000 wifi networks interfering not to mention very high humidity and likely high electromagnetic presence in the air from the recent storm. Tomorrow after work I will be trying a more rural area and posting the results. Any advice or input would be appreciated.

That's pretty good! If you want range, do all 3 flat panels for bug long range. I've been getting around 5000+ on average now! Good luck

This argtek Blue proton is a bit of a let down so far. Continuity test on my connections is perfect. 2.4ghz Video signal is perfect however the 5.8ghz control signal cuts out at or before 3,000ft. Not sure if these folks claiming to get a mile or more bought their kits somewhere besides Amazon but this kit is definitely a let down. On the positive side now my antenna connections are outside the controller so I'll be ordering a 5.8ghz 10db flat panel antenna to try with the others. The only conclusion I can draw after the continuity test is that argtek's antennas are sub par. The impedance is supposed to be 50ohms on each antenna. I have ranged my meter from 10 to 2,000,000 ohms but no reading on 2 of my antennas. Hopefully their poorly manufactured antennas didn't fry my transmitter from the basicly open circuit conditions of this array as the transmitter is designed for a 50ohm load. The fact it still does operate at around 2,000 to just over 3,000ft at best gives me hope. Anyway I am ordering better antennas and installing soon. I will post the results. If anyone is considering this kit, I would only recommend it for the purpose of externally relocating your antenna connections. Only purchase this if you have a basic understanding of wireless communications technology or electrical engineering equipment like myself. Also definitely get yourself a cheap ohmmeter and verify the continuity of your connections as well as testing your components. It would not be right of me to completely knock this kit as some have achieved decent results. Just beware the quality of the components is inconsistent and is subject to include poor quality antennas. For me it has served the purpose of externally relocating my antenna connections enabling me to design a custom array. I will post the specs and results of my custom antenna array when the parts arrive. As always any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
I might ad, if you have just purchased a p3s. The best thing you can do without internal modifications to your RC is purchase a parabolic reflector. I was getting around 4,000ft with mine in areas where the argtek barely got half that distance in ideal conditions. Just be mindful to carefully aim your parabolic reflector precisely at the quadcopter for best results. As for internal mods. They will provide the best results with the right equipment however. Not all of the same products are the same quality.(See above post.) If you don't have patience to deal with the potential of installing antennas that turn out to be defective and waiting for parts to build a custom antenna array. The parabolic reflector is a great way to get double the stock distance with no mods. 4000ft for a $10 purchase is not bad. As always any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
After reading a whole lot of reviews of the Argtek antenna mod, it appears to be something of a hit or miss. Some pilots report doubling their range (or more), while other pilots end up with something less than they started with. Very odd. I've always assumed that the reason for that was something wasn't quite right with the mod, possibly with the antenna connections. As you pointed out, there may be issues with the antennas themselves.

i have the old white one from 2017, 2 flat panel antennas on the 2.4 and the tall 5.8 stick, the plastic isn't the best quality and gets "loose" over time where it continually screws on and off. my stock antenna (as we all know) sucks. with the ArgTek i have much stronger range, although the P3S wifi transmission sucks compared to Litebridge on the P4's and the P3A/P3P it is much stronger and you can go farther. thank God for return to home.

i have the old white one from 2017, 2 flat panel antennas on the 2.4 and the tall 5.8 stick, the plastic isn't the best quality and gets "loose" over time where it continually screws on and off. my stock antenna (as we all know) sucks. with the ArgTek i have much stronger range, although the P3S wifi transmission sucks compared to Litebridge on the P4's and the P3A/P3P it is much stronger and you can go farther. thank God for return to home.
What kind of range are you getting at best? The Argtek Blue Proton kit only got me 2,000-3,000ft max. Which was less than I was getting with a parabolic reflector (>4,000ft). To my surprise the Argtek kit lost the 5.8ghz control signal first while the 2.4ghz telemetry and video signal was strong. I then bought an Alfa APA-M25 5.8ghz 10db flat panel antenna for $20. I installed it on the middle terminal of the blue proton base and was then able to get just over a mile range in ideal conditions. It seems the Argtek antennas are a little sub par.

wow thats killer range for a standard., I get scared at around 1500 ft away, it always says strong interference detected like 8 thousand times, i don't know what interference, i fly in graveyards that are huge, no major obstructions nor tech around only one small power line and I'm way away from that. so i don't know how far it will really go , i use a iPad Air2 for my display and love it, it works great. now I'm running an older version of DJI go so i don't have to sign in every time to use it. my fw is old (so old i don't even know, but its the 2017 firmware from like july range, ) do you have a link to where you got this new antenna? so 3 flats does the trick ? i take it its not omni but directional at this point. i usually point my rc in the direction of the ac anyway....

awesome, i will let you know how i find them when they come in, prob next week sometime. are you running them on all the antennas or just the main middle one

awesome, i will let you know how i find them when they come in, prob next week sometime. are you running them on all the antennas or just the main middle one
I'm actually running the Alfa APA-M25 on the center 5.8ghz control signal terminal and 2 Alfa 2.4ghz 7db panels on the outer terminals. The 2 Alfa 2.4ghz 7db panels are on Amazon for $20 per pair. The 2.4ghz signal travels better over distance so I was able to use cheaper panels for the outer two. However your setup with all three Alfa APA-M25 panels should offer much better 2.4ghz video and telemetry signal penetration through objects as well as max range. If you look it up on YouTube there are many people having great success with all 3 Alfa APA-M25 antennas. You will be satisfied I'm sure.

Reactions: Macphreak4evr
well,, My experience kinda sucked. I purchased 3 of these, ended up re installing the center pole type from the ArgTek original setup, the two alphas on the end 2.4's helped much better with the video feed, actually with all 3 alphas, the distance was WAY less, like 1600 ft, usually can get 2000-2200 ft, (850m range) when i went back to the center pole 5.8 it worked as normal, RTH kicked in at 2270 ft, you can see by the top flight line on my pic below, (cemetery flying) my height was about 350', and the hill it went up was about 150', so it ended up being at 150' high on a hill when i was 150' below. I fly this as my test length all the time and it still did not hit it. I was thinking of adding the power range boosters but too expensive

Attachments

• IMG_0104.JPG
    IMG_0104.JPG
    255.9 KB · Views: 296
well,, My experience kinda sucked. I purchased 3 of these, ended up re installing the center pole type from the ArgTek original setup, the two alphas on the end 2.4's helped much better with the video feed, actually with all 3 alphas, the distance was WAY less, like 1600 ft, usually can get 2000-2200 ft, (850m range) when i went back to the center pole 5.8 it worked as normal, RTH kicked in at 2270 ft, you can see by the top flight line on my pic below, (cemetery flying) my height was about 350', and the hill it went up was about 150', so it ended up being at 150' high on a hill when i was 150' below. I fly this as my test length all the time and it still did not hit it. I was thinking of adding the power range boosters but too expensive
Check your internal connections. Most are consistently achieving +1 mile range with the Alfa panels. The Alfa APA-M25 out performs the Argtek blue proton antennas by a spectacular degree in my experience. The only setup that may outperform the Alfa panels without adding amplifiers might be a DBS mod.

Reactions: RunningWithScissors

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.