Never flown before....do I need the propeller guards

Would have saved me a set of propellers, reflecting back on the early days.

A lot depends on your landing spot as the design isn't that landing friendly, imho, and could tip over easily on uneven ground. Mine has been saved a few times with them on while transporting it in the car when it accidentally falls off the back seat since I leave the props on. Lots of trees in the area when in ATTI mode and VPS off, etc. They can afford you some insurance and your call.

I'll note that on mine (DJI branded), the two fingers that have the lock part under them becomes a major PITA to unsnap them and to swing the hinged arm off the locking tabs to remove the guard. I took a file and filed them down so they unlock easier.

Last edited:
Propeller guards will give you a some sort of a confidence that they will protect your props.

I had bought them but used only first two times and shelved them later. If you are going for guards, go for detachable types so that you don't screw and unscrew many times as over tightening or u Dee tightening might result into stress cracks on shells.

If you are flying in open space and use manual take off from flat surfaces, you may not need prop guards.

Prop guards are helpful if you fly indoors which I suggest not todo.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I vote no. I had a set on my P2V+, but that drone was known for frying motors and ESCs in any situation that stalled the props...tipovers or even some "aggressive air maneuvers". I quit using them after awhile. Didn't even bother with the Phantom 4.

Bought the removable ones, used them twice when I first started flying, it did give me some extra confidence back then.
I don't use them anymore but left the mounts on in hopes not to get any stress cracks, so far so good after more than 100 flights

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Jameason
I got 3rd party clip on ones and I only use them if my daughter is flying it, or if I dare try to get some close shots. But I learned with out them and will only out them on very very rarely. Always nice to have as a back up tho

Sent from my Power using PhantomPilots mobile app

Bought the removable ones, used them twice when I first started flying, it did give me some extra confidence back then.
I don't use them anymore but left the mounts on in hopes not to get any stress cracks, so far so good after more than 100 flights

I do the same

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

i wouldn't use them unless you had a job that absolutely required them, such as needing to hover at low altitude and close to your subject.

example: filming a golf swing from different angles.

otherwise, all they do is decrease performance in most situations. use them to protect a person (or animal or whatever) from your blades, not to protect your blades from trees, the ground, etc.

the downdraft (wash) from your blades is what keeps certain parts of your bird from overheating. prop guards add weight and decrease lift.

I vote no unless you're planning on running into things. I think it's better to have good situational awareness and go easy until you gain some experience.

I'll vote no with this caveat: If something starts to go bad, release the control sticks and your new bird with hover. Let your pulse settle down and then fly it home.

Sagebrush

Reactions: Numone
I put prop guards on in the beginning but removed them as I felt the drone was drifting in the wind more than it should, never looked back

I think prop guards are essential when your learning to fly. My props cut my arm when it leaned after I grabbed it because it was about to hit my fence. Now I don't use them because I'm more comfortable with the controls.

Ditto to this response as that was my experience. I used a third party detachable model that two black and two red guards (and mounts). I have not used them in a while as they were showing up too often in my videos and because my flying is not in tight spaces. Have the red and black mounts still mounted helps me orient the bird when I'm hand flying it (versus looking at the FPV).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.