Negative attitudes to drone photography?

Have you been publicly told off for taking drone photos?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I would like to see the industry drop the "Drone" and use quadcopter or Phantom

It may seem pedantic, but when talking to others I never use the word "drone" for two reasons:
1. Strictly speaking, it's not a drone. That word mplies it can operate autonomously out of line-of-sight. You can go out of LOS with a Phantom, but I don't think "autonomous" applies here.
2. The word "drone" has a very negative connotation associated with it due to its use in the media. It's typically referring to a military tool used for warfare or surveillance.

I always use the word "quadcopter." It's much more innocuous-sounding and more descriptive anyway.

Reactions: LaughingThunder
I have not had any negative experiences with people, mostly I try to avoid crowded areas, but I did notice the police stop to watch one time I was flying in an empty school parking lot maybe not ideal but it was obstacle free.

It may seem pedantic, but when talking to others I never use the word "drone" for two reasons:
1. Strictly speaking, it's not a drone. That word mplies it can operate autonomously out of line-of-sight. You can go out of LOS with a Phantom, but I don't think "autonomous" applies here.
2. The word "drone" has a very negative connotation associated with it due to its use in the media. It's typically referring to a military tool used for warfare or surveillance.

I always use the word "quadcopter."

I totally agree these statements. The word "Drone" has a bad name and probably always will. I costantly have to correct the publics terminolgy when they walk up to me and ask me "Hey, is that a drone?" and I correct them saying "No, it is a quadcopter." and they say "It's the same thing." and say "No they are not." and this pissing match over what it is called could go on and on and on but I generally only correct them once and save my breath and concentrait on flying and getting some great shots. The public can be very ignorrant for sure. They insist on arguing about something that they absolutely no knowledge about. If I ever get apporaoched by law enforcement and questioned about my legal rights to fly my quadcopter as a hobby they have better done their research on what law(s) I am breaking because I have definetly done mine.

Yes, different countries , different rules. One you seem to have though, is photographing or filming on a private property opened to the public, such a restaurant for example, requires permission from the owner, you could be arrested then for trespassing... Problems anyway! Private investigators are a different matter I think, as they mostly act discretly, mostly out of sight. Then their work goes as an evidence for their client, not published on the public place. (except programs like "cheaters" maybe where everyone is happy to make a few bucks). But I stand by what I said, the real problem, amateur or pro is more about what you do with the picture rather than how you took it.
Arrest for trespass first requires a refusal to leave when asked, especially if it is open to the public. It is always wise to follow such requests to leave, whether or not you believe they have the authority to make the request. Why poke the bear? Certainly, what you do with the photos is the issue. If no one else ever sees them, they don't exist! ;)

I totally agree these statements. The word "Drone" has a bad name and probably always will. I costantly have to correct the publics terminolgy when they walk up to me and ask me "Hey, is that a drone?" and I correct them saying "No, it is a quadcopter." and they say "It's the same thing." and say "No they are not." and this pissing match over what it is called could go on and on and on but I generally only correct them once and save my breath and concentrait on flying and getting some great shots. The public can be very ignorrant for sure. They insist on arguing about something that they absolutely no knowledge about. If I ever get apporaoched by law enforcement and questioned about my legal rights to fly my quadcopter as a hobby they have better done their research on what law(s) I am breaking because I have definetly done mine.
Word to the wise: Never argue with a guy with a badge and a gun! There are plenty more where he came from! They have a lot of discretion, and pissing them off never ends well. Many arrests are solely a result of your attitude, even if charges are never brought later! Be polite, and do your best comply with their requests and concerns, and if they ask you to leave, just move along. Best to live to fly another day!:cool:

Reactions: snerd and dirkclod
Arrest for trespass first requires a refusal to leave when asked, especially if it is open to the public. It is always wise to follow such requests to leave, whether or not you believe they have the authority to make the request. Why poke the bear? Certainly, what you do with the photos is the issue. If no one else ever sees them, they don't exist! ;)
So can we say we agree or do you want to carry on explaining how much we agree? ;)

blank stare.png
..Hadn't seen nobody agree in here for awhile
the rock..nod.gif

I've had no one approach me to raise any concerns (other than my partner - she dislikes the noise) - I've had a number of photographers and video photographers have a chat with me about them (some having worked with aerial systems in the past).

My rule generally is if anyone looks annoyed by the quad - is for me to move away. Considering in Australia there is a 30 meter no fly zone of people, buildings, cars etc you are generally trying to stay out of peoples way.

I try to avoid all people when launching and landing. At best, they are a distraction from the task at hand, with all their incessant questions and assertions of privacy invasion. At worst, they are going to make you land and stop flying. Neither are in my best interest. :cool:

Now if I am there to grandstand and show off and pick up chicks, different story.
Chicks dig drone pilots!:D Yeah, right! ;)

I always use the word "quadcopter." It's much more innocuous-sounding and more descriptive anyway.

I always use the word drone and don't apply any negative connotations to the word. If autonomous operation beyond LOS is a criteria used to define a drone, my Phantoms definitely fall within that category.

Reactions: dirkclod

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4