Need to replace my P4P v2. What direction to go??

Reaction score
2 days ago I lost my beloved P4Pv2. Lost GPS and then connection. From what I've read it may have been a hardware issue.
From a post in 2020 - it could be a bad "power interface module (DJI Part #2). Both the GPS and the compass connect directly through the power module"
Anyway, I may need to replace my Drone.

What direction to go? I have a lot invested in the P4P v2 system.
6 batteries, Manfrotto backpack, hard case, Triple battery charger- both DJI and a 3rd party one that does 3 batteries and controller simultaneously.
Sunshade, iPad, filters, etc.
I could try to find just a used P4P 2, or a new one. But the new ones now are going for $2,400! I paid $1,600 for mine.

So I'm thinking if I want to upgrade, choice is between Mavic 2 Pro or Mavic 3.
1 Problem I'm having with going to the 3 is the controller choices. I've always used an iPad for a tablet. I like the larger screen and don't want to tie up and run down the battery on my phone. Also I want to use 3rd party software if I need to.
LAANC authorizations, Verifly insurance, was about to learn Litchi, but hadn't got to it yet. What does everyone with the M3 do about that?

The Mavic 2 Pro does most of what I need, has a superior sensor to the P4P.
Does NOT have D-Cinelike mode for color - which I see as a drawback. But a friend who I shoot with a lot uses Normal color mode for everything and its pretty **** good.
The P4P is not great in Normal mode on very contrasty days.
I am guessing the Mavic 3 is better than both.
Neither of them have a Mechanical Shutter. bummer. But I'm not doing mapping, so it may not make a difference to me.

While I consider myself primarily a still shooter, almost every job does need some video. I barely edit (need to fix that) but provide the content to my clients.

Does anyone know if the Mavic 3 has D-Cinelike mode for color? I know the Normal mode will have way more latitude than the P4P sensor and it's D-Log is superior, but requires a lot more processing to bring back to normal.

So, If I have to start from scratch with all new gear, extra batteries, case, filters, chargers (multi battery) maybe going to the Mavic 3 may future proof me a bit longer than going to the Mavic 2 Pro which now is also "old" tech....

I definitely want adjustable ƒ-stops. Don't want a fixed ƒ2.8. Why I've not considered the Mavic Air or Mavic 3-mini.

Anyway, appreciate people's input while I figure this out.
And I may have a bunch of P4P v2 accessories for sale soon.....

Last edited:
Reactions: Capt KO
Phantom 4 Pro v1 have become quite inexpensive these days and all but remote interchangeable with yours. Camera is identical and might give you an option before adding a Mavic. There’s probably even a few available on this forum if you ask. The v2 deal that @Starz mentioned is also an option.

Reactions: GFields
Appreciated!
What I’m deciding now is whether to do that, put more money into Phantoms or upgrade to newer tech that will carry me forward.
My personal work is more stills. I’d love to have better low light quality.

Still trying to work it out…

Attachments

• 8CB55087-2CD6-4177-8080-9F98722DD5A8.jpeg
    8CB55087-2CD6-4177-8080-9F98722DD5A8.jpeg
    127.7 KB · Views: 115
Reactions: cneedelman
The brand new Mavic 3E is the logical replacement for the Phantom 4 Pro V2. It has a Hasselblad camera with a mechanical shutter, and the included remote controller has a built-in bright screen. You can attach accessories such as an RTK unit for mapping and surveying, or even a loudspeaker. It also has 40 minute batteries! Check it out, the Mavic 3E is the new Phantom 4 Pro, just better.

You mean the Enterprise?
If money wasn't an object, that would indeed be cool.
Unfortunately for me it is. And I'm basically a commercial still photographer who also has a drone.
Not a pro filmaker or using drones as primary income. Can't justify the cost of that one yet....

But I've heard there may be another version of the Mavic 3 coming out. Waiting for more info. Think I'm leaning in that direction. Wanting to get newer tech.

Attachments

• Cermak-Canal_pano_IMG_4843-900pxWeb.jpg
    Cermak-Canal_pano_IMG_4843-900pxWeb.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 97
It’s a fair question that you‘ve asked, the answer will vary depending who you are and what your use case is.

Firstly, and I own both and many other drones as a commercial operator the camera in the P4P is in no way inferior to the M2P it‘s just .... different. They are both alleged 1” sensors of 20Mp there is nothing really “Hassleblad” about the M2P other than the name on the casing. Being cynical I think that’s the main reason DJI bought a majority stake, so they can use the name.

The cameras are more alike than different and the main differences are that the P4P has the mechanical shutter which is essential if you are using your drone for mapping and survey and 60fps video vs 30fps on the M2P which as you’re already said as a mainly stills photographer is not a huge issue. The M2P has on it’s side the well regarded HCP (Hassleblad Colour Profile) which although really only firmware based software magic does indeed give a much warmer and vibrant result straight off the card without any post editing. You can get the same result with the P4P but not without editing.

For me as I use my P4P for mapping and survey I would need to replace it with anofher camera with a hardware shutter and currently with the price of the M3E that would most likely be a good low hours second hand P4P V2.0, for you the M2P may well suit your needs more closely the only factor that muddies the water for you is all the P4 gear that you own. Only you can decide whether it is worth your while to change horses mid stream but I would say that the smaller form factor of the M2P is something that you will appreciate and you may well be able to sell your P4 accessories to help you along.

Regards
Ari

Reactions: DFerguson
You mean the Enterprise?
If money wasn't an object, that would indeed be cool.
Unfortunately for me it is. And I'm basically a commercial still photographer who also has a drone.
Not a pro filmaker or using drones as primary income. Can't justify the cost of that one yet....

But I've heard there may be another version of the Mavic 3 coming out. Waiting for more info. Think I'm leaning in that direction. Wanting to get newer tech.
This was on another forum saying it's a electronic rolling shutter

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221022-213328.png
    Screenshot_20221022-213328.png
    189.9 KB · Views: 90
Forums are great places to find misinformation.
According to DJI's marketing for the Mavic 3 Enterprise, it will have a mechanical shutter.
The Mavic 3 Enterprise Series redefines industry standards for small commercial drones. With a mechanical shutter, a 56× zoom camera, and an RTK module for centimeter-level precision, the Mavic 3E brings mapping and mission efficiency to new heights. A thermal version is available for firefighting, search and rescue, inspection, and night operations.

The consumer versions of the Mavic 3 have an electronic shutter.

Reactions: dronesky
Correct, the only version with a hardware shutter is the Enterprise although again, I’m not sure a rolling shutter will handicap you in any way for stills.

Are you sure that a Mavic is an upgrade to a Phantom?
I would never do such a replacement. In case I will need to do that I would buy another P4P.
Well, maybe when Phantoms will be out of production.

It’s a fair question that you‘ve asked, the answer will vary depending who you are and what your use case is.

Firstly, and I own both and many other drones as a commercial operator the camera in the P4P is in no way inferior to the M2P it‘s just .... different. They are both alleged 1” sensors of 20Mp there is nothing really “Hassleblad” about the M2P other than the name on the casing. Being cynical I think that’s the main reason DJI bought a majority stake, so they can use the name.

The cameras are more alike than different and the main differences are that the P4P has the mechanical shutter which is essential if you are using your drone for mapping and survey and 60fps video vs 30fps on the M2P which as you’re already said as a mainly stills photographer is not a huge issue. The M2P has on it’s side the well regarded HCP (Hassleblad Colour Profile) which although really only firmware based software magic does indeed give a much warmer and vibrant result straight off the card without any post editing. You can get the same result with the P4P but not without editing.

For me as I use my P4P for mapping and survey I would need to replace it with anofher camera with a hardware shutter and currently with the price of the M3E that would most likely be a good low hours second hand P4P V2.0, for you the M2P may well suit your needs more closely the only factor that muddies the water for you is all the P4 gear that you own. Only you can decide whether it is worth your while to change horses mid stream but I would say that the smaller form factor of the M2P is something that you will appreciate and you may well be able to sell your P4 accessories to help you along.

Regards
Ari
Thanks Ari. Excellent points. I do love my P4P and have done excellent work with it. And probably could keep doing that for quite a while.
But there are some problems with the P4P that I’m starting to think this is an opportunity for me to upgrade. And as yet I have not taken any mapping jobs so it seems like the mechanical shutter has not been an issue for me and my work yet.
The friend who I work with a lot and using the M2P for the past several years and I have been jealous of how easy it’s been for him to travel with it, how fast to acquire a GPS and get it into the air. And how much easier it is to do things like POI.
And I’m sure that my accessories for the P4PV2 Will be worth something to somebody.

Anyway, looking for a used M2P or springing for an M3 is probably the direction I’m going to go.

Attachments

• 7A607474-0937-4F2B-B4BB-A8CE1926C833.jpeg
    7A607474-0937-4F2B-B4BB-A8CE1926C833.jpeg
    116 KB · Views: 85
The Mavic 3 has it's good points ... Long flight time and better camera.
The tele lens can also be useful, but the Fly app is a big step down from DJI Go 4.
One of the various things I’m wrestling with. There are some things missing in the Fly app - that hopefully will be fixed in updates.

Also I probably won’t be spending the money on the $1200 Pro controller, so I’ll have to get used to the new RC Remote. Which from the little I’ve learned about it isn’t as versatile as the P4P remote.

Plus- built in bright screen
Plus- compact &easy to transport.

Cons- can’t install 3rd party apps
Cons- Android based. (I’m a Mac guy.)
Cons- screen size. I’m used to using a 9.7 inch iPad and I like the real estate…

? Don’t see or hear about a connection for a neck strap on any of the controllers.
Maybe they think because it’s smaller than the phantoms controllers you don’t need one but I can’t tell you how often in the field I need to let it hang by the strap and use two hands to change batteries, cards, get some thing out of my case, etc. etc.

And what’s the deal with no waypoints ? And Tripod mode??
I use tripod mode a LOT.

HOPEFULLY- that will come with a firmware/software update.

One of the various things I’m wrestling with. There are some things missing in the Fly app - that hopefully will be fixed in updates.
I wouldn't get my hopes up on that.
DJI haven't shown any interest for the year since their flagship consumer drone was released.
This is despite a lot of complaints about the entry-level app and the number of features and options that aren't available with it.

I wouldn't get my hopes up on that.
DJI haven't shown any interest for the year since their flagship consumer drone was released.
This is despite a lot of complaints about the entry-level app and the number of features and options that aren't available with it.
Thats kind of scary. And sad

Thats kind of scary. And sad
Yes it is. I tend to feel the “golden age” of DJI drones as far as the capability of the drone vs the ease and degree of control was during the period where the Mavic 2 series and Phantom 4 series and the GO4 app were the state of the art.

Yes, certainly the newer drones probably have abilities the older models lacked but getting it out of them is another matter. The Fly app was for my money a quantum step backwards and the lack of native waypoint support without intention of introducing it in the Air2 and Mavic 3 series has been a huge loss to some myself included.

Hopefully the Mavic 3 Enterprise will support native waypoints but at price point all the other Mavic 3 models should have supported it also.

2 days ago I lost my beloved P4Pv2. Lost GPS and then connection. From what I've read it may have been a hardware issue.
From a post in 2020 - it could be a bad "power interface module (DJI Part #2). Both the GPS and the compass connect directly through the power module"
Anyway, I may need to replace my Drone.

What direction to go? I have a lot invested in the P4P v2 system.
6 batteries, Manfrotto backpack, hard case, Triple battery charger- both DJI and a 3rd party one that does 3 batteries and controller simultaneously.
Sunshade, iPad, filters, etc.
I could try to find just a used P4P 2, or a new one. But the new ones now are going for $2,400! I paid $1,600 for mine.

So I'm thinking if I want to upgrade, choice is between Mavic 2 Pro or Mavic 3.
1 Problem I'm having with going to the 3 is the controller choices. I've always used an iPad for a tablet. I like the larger screen and don't want to tie up and run down the battery on my phone. Also I want to use 3rd party software if I need to.
LAANC authorizations, Verifly insurance, was about to learn Litchi, but hadn't got to it yet. What does everyone with the M3 do about that?

The Mavic 2 Pro does most of what I need, has a superior sensor to the P4P.
Does NOT have D-Cinelike mode for color - which I see as a drawback. But a friend who I shoot with a lot uses Normal color mode for everything and its pretty **** good.
The P4P is not great in Normal mode on very contrasty days.
I am guessing the Mavic 3 is better than both.
Neither of them have a Mechanical Shutter. bummer. But I'm not doing mapping, so it may not make a difference to me.

While I consider myself primarily a still shooter, almost every job does need some video. I barely edit (need to fix that) but provide the content to my clients.

Does anyone know if the Mavic 3 has D-Cinelike mode for color? I know the Normal mode will have way more latitude than the P4P sensor and it's D-Log is superior, but requires a lot more processing to bring back to normal.

So, If I have to start from scratch with all new gear, extra batteries, case, filters, chargers (multi battery) maybe going to the Mavic 3 may future proof me a bit longer than going to the Mavic 2 Pro which now is also "old" tech....

I definitely want adjustable ƒ-stops. Don't want a fixed ƒ2.8. Why I've not considered the Mavic Air or Mavic 3-mini.

Anyway, appreciate people's input while I figure this out.
And I may have a bunch of P4P v2 accessories for sale soon.....
I would be interested in buying some, maybe all your p4pv2 gear. I have the P4Pro+v2 and found out after I started trying to use aftermarket automation programs that the crystal display (“+”) on my remote does not have the ability to use them. So, I am looking for the remote and other gear you have. Please let me know if we can help each other.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic