Need to fly longer times P3P

Reaction score
I'm wondering what mods can be done for a P3Pro to fly longer times. Not necessary further, but to stay longer in air. Not hovering but flying around, from here to there, etc.

I need the camera to still be on and transmitting.

What can I expect?

Thanks HWCM, Right now with no mod, I think I can get 22-23 minutes or so. What can I expect with a Dual battery? Any tables... anyone did comparisons, etc?

If you are not flying far, think of a tethered power connection. You can fly as long as you want then.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Michael Asgian
Thanks HWCM, Right now with no mod, I think I can get 22-23 minutes or so. What can I expect with a Dual battery? Any tables... anyone did comparisons, etc?
Multistar 5200 4s lihv battery (in addition to the stock) gets ya 34/35 minutes with reliable results. There is a lot of info on the dual battery mod thread and p3 range leaderboard.

Dual Battery Mod
Official P3 Range Leaderboard

Reactions: Michael Asgian
Reactions: hms
ATTI mode: turns off power eating GPS calculations, turning off visual positioning sensors also saves some battery power. I fly without prop guards as they are heavy enough to rob precious hovering time.

ATTI mode: turns off power eating GPS calculations, turning off visual positioning sensors also saves some battery power. I fly without prop guards as they are heavy enough to rob precious hovering time.
The GPS uses so little power it wouldn't make any measurable difference if it could be turned off.
In Atti mode, the Phantom doesn't use GPS data - but the GPS unit is still powered on and working.

Just curious - what percentage do you take the battery to?
down to 0-5%. I need to stay up as much as I can, I know it's not ideal for the battery, but that's secondary for my purpose. Going up to 35 minutes would be awesome....

Last edited:
Although I havn't tested this, I tend to think the drone not calculating position many times per second uses less CPU power thus would use less battery power.. mabey small amount, but it would stand to reason, a small benefit.

Although I havn't tested this, I tend to think the drone not calculating position many times per second uses less CPU power thus would use less battery power.. mabey small amount, but it would stand to reason, a small benefit.
I'll try to word it differently for you.
Although the flight controller is not using the GPS data, the full GPS system is working in Atti or not so there is no power saving.
Even if you could turn the GPS system off, the tiny amount of power it uses is so small that you couldn't measure any difference.

I see your point, however, I am not saying it turns the GPS module off, I am theorizing that the CPU power needed to make positioning moves are not being done, thus saving power although a low amount. CPU processing does use measurable amounts.

Even if you could turn the GPS system off, the tiny amount of power it uses is so small that you couldn't measure any difference.

Agreed, and any saving would most certainly not be worth the the risk, in the event of a RC failure or other loss of signal to not have GPS active.

Agreed, and any saving would most certainly not be worth the the risk, in the event of a RC failure or other loss of signal to not have GPS active.
Even if you are flying in Atti mode and lose control signal, the Phantom will use GPS to RTH as long as it has satellite reception.

Reactions: Digdat0
Even if you are flying in Atti mode and lose control signal, the Phantom will use GPS to RTH as long as it has satellite reception.
We all know that.
I was hypothesising being able to switch GPS off , as you were:-

"Meta4 said: Even if you could turn the GPS system off, the tiny amount of power it uses is so small that you couldn't measure any difference."

Um you just said it not worth taking the risk. So wha risk you were talking about?

Sent from my SM-G900I using PhantomPilots mobile app
Eish, English is not my first language, but it is not that bad, is it?.

In YOUR hypothesis "even if it were possible to turn off the GPS system", no saving would be worth the risk of not having GPS in the event of a loss of signal. How difficult is that to grasp?

Reactions: Digdat0
Eish, English is not my first language, but it is not that bad, is it?.
In YOUR hypothesis "even if it were possible to turn off the GPS system", no saving would be worth the risk of not having GPS in the event of a loss of signal. How difficult is that to grasp?
I'm completely lost here. This is going in circles and going nowhere.
I have no idea what risk you are talking about since you say that you are aware that the Phantom can still RTH when in atti mode.
What is the risk you mentioning?

I'm completely lost here. This is going in circles and going nowhere.
I have no idea what risk you are talking about since you say that you are aware that the Phantom can still RTH when in atti mode.
What is the risk you mentioning?
If I understand correctly, it's a hypothetical (if it were possible to turn off GPS, even then it wouldn't be worth the risk). Also, IMHO, if it were possible to carry a load of gold ingots under your Phantom, that too wouldn't be worth the risk...:D

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31