Need opinions on drone logbook design - get FREE copy

Which book style would you want to buy most?

• Spiral/wire-o binding

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Journal style (with the elastic bookmark)

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Low cost stapled booklet

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Perfect Binding

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
Reaction score
I'm working on a drone flight logbook and hoped to get some input from this community regarding what style book you would prefer.

Let me know if you would be interested in getting a FREE COPY for review once shipped (about 4 weeks for spiral/journal and 2 weeks for the others)

Please submit your answers to the following questions along with if you want to be entered in the drawing for the 10 books:

Are you a commercial or hobbyist pilot?
Do you like the one or two page spread better?
Which book style would you prefer?
Also, if you have any critique on the contents of the logbook.

I have a two page design and a one page, with the two-page having more space for shot/mission planning and larger print styles for easier reading. The one page design offers a condensed version of the flight log so that more log pages will fit in a single book.

Two page spread
One page spread

Second, binding style. There are four styles I'm considering using:

Spiral / wire-o binding
Journal style with the elastic bookmark
Stapled booklet (lower cost but must have fewer pages so they would be sold in 2 or 3 packs)
Trade paperbook/perfect style (removed any branding as I am not looking to advertise here until it's done, just want feedback)

Last edited:
I'm working on a drone flight logbook and hoped to get some input from this community regarding what style book you would prefer.

Let me know if you would be interested in getting a FREE COPY for review once shipped (about 4 weeks for spiral/journal and 2 weeks for the others)

Please submit your answers to the following questions along with if you want to be entered in the drawing for the 10 books:

I have a two page design and a one page, with the two-page having more space for shot/mission planning and larger print styles for easier reading. The one page design offers a condensed version of the flight log so that more log pages will fit in a single book.

Two page spread
One page spread

Spiral / wire-o binding
Stapled booklet (lower cost but must have fewer pages so they would be sold in 2 or 3 packs)
Trade paperbook/perfect style (removed any branding as I am not looking to advertise here until it's done, just want feedback)
Hobbyist, I am partial to the single-page wirebound.

Reactions: norcalTy
Man those would be super cool. I would be open to any and all styles. Love the journal style and would love it it had a masculine, brown leather and nice fold over cover. Something that looks worn maybe. Just a though but none the less once I get my drone I want one!

Well I think I'm going to go with the spiral binding given my other areas I asked this question and the responses were overwhelmingly one page, spiral bound. Right now I only have the perfect binding version ready.

I'm hoping to have this product ready in the next month, once I do, I plan to buy some advertising here so I can promote it with links and such.

Let me know if you have any questions and thanks for those that responded!

Currently hobby flyer... Studying for 107 to start flying commercially. Prefer 1 page format. Either spiral bound or plastic comb binding... Would also be interested in pre-printed sheets to be used in a 3 or 6 ring binder.

Would be nice to have some customer information on the page as well. Name, Customer #, Contract #... Would make it easier to associate flying time with each customer.

Well I think I'm going to go with the spiral binding given my other areas I asked this question and the responses were overwhelmingly one page, spiral bound. Right now I only have the perfect binding version ready.

I'm hoping to have this product ready in the next month, once I do, I plan to buy some advertising here so I can promote it with links and such.

Let me know if you have any questions and thanks for those that responded!
Where in NorCal are you Ty? I am in Modesto, CenCal.

Two page spread
One page spread

Spiral / wire-o binding

I would be interested in a copy to review.

Are you a commercial or hobbyist pilot? I am a hobbyist, prepping to take my part 107 exam
Do you like the one or two page spread better? two page
Which book style would you prefer? Journal
Also, if you have any critique on the contents of the logbook. none at this time

I'm also about to take my Part 107 exam and I would be very interested in checking out your log book and giving you a review if it's still needed

Glad to see someone actually putting some thought into this issue. Thanks!

First off I think there are two types of users: 1) hobbyist & 2) commercial/professional.

This means the book for the hobbyist will probably not need to have all the detail to log as one for the commercial user. Most hobbyist will not want to have or spend the money for the larger more detailed book.

Both however should be "bound" as that is the preferred type the FAA would like to see for "documenting" activities.

One reason is if a book is used, that book should be of a nature that allows for easier detection of missing pages. The hobbyist, although may not "now" think they need the "bound" book may however, one day become a commercial operator. So having a "bound" book works for both.

Another items is, above I mentioned the book is for documenting "activities." Yes, "activities." Both users if not now, will probably in the future, be required to log or document things like training received (ground or flight) or sign-offs for different sUAS type aircraft or for being signed-off to go into a specific area or airspace. So what I am saying is there needs to be a section in the back for those types of items basically, just lined pages. Those lined pages can also be used for sUAS pilots/operators that may need to "give" the above mentioned sign-offs." CFIs are required to keep records of everything they sign-off for another pilot in aircraft and I see some form of this coming in the commercial world of drones.

Remember, the FAA is involved, for good or bad, they are here to stay and I can only see them requiring more documentation not less, for all of us pilots/operators and instructors. I am sure you have looked at the logbooks that manned aircraft pilots have available to them and all have what I am describing. All to them are "bound" or they are electronic.

I will address the layout of the pages in another posting so as not to make each posting too long.

Good luck in your endeavor and thanks again.

More to follow...

edspilot

The simpler the better is my opinion. I don't understand the signature bit at the end. I like the stapled pamphlet. Looks like it would fit in a pocket.

I like a basic camera log.

2 Easy to Use Camera Report Templates

Check out the free ones you can download...
http://cdn.theblackandblue.com/better_camera_report.pdf

Keeping it digital I can export it to the days folder of footage shot and everything is in one place for me to do the log and transfer that night.

Reactions: anotherlab

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav