Need new people tablet

Reaction score
so from what I read, I believe my ancient iPad mini 1 isn't good enough for my phantom 3s. Video is lagging, in and out, has crashed twice.

I as reading about the Samsung galaxy tab A 8" and price seams good.
Would this be ok with the p3s with djigo as well as Litchi?

This hobby is getting expensive!
Mike

I purchased a dedicated tablet only to be used for my phantom, very fast, stable and cheap. I purchased the at&t ZTE k88 for less than $100 Dollars. It have SD card slot and slot for the Sim card if you want to use data in it. It is unlocked.

Samsung!? Yuck. Vomit. Ptui. :mad:

If you want to waste your money, go ahead and buy one. Just make sure you root it out to a basic Android OS and be careful of what other apps you load - or never load any - that may take over the processor resources and slow GO down. GO is already bloated enough as it is in processor needs.

In time, you'll be posting about "Why do I see green and magenta bands on my screen?" (Video lag.) Then they turn to gray half-screens and a bit more lag as GO grows a few months later. Then you'll get a crash where the app shuts down to black and you need to reboot the Samsung device to get GO back up and running. Months later you'll get the "Disconnected" message and nothing seen from the camera shown as both of my two Samsungs I invested over $1,200 on. Now none of mine will connect where they did a year ago.

There are sundry Android systems out there like OxygenOS (Android) and whether they run with less issues than the Samsung OS I don't know. But for me, you couldn't pay me to run a Samsung device with the DJI gear short of a bottle full of Xanax nearby for stress dealing with the device issues, crashes, or disconnects.

I should have listened to others who said "To go with the iPad Pro 9.7" if you want less issues and be done with Samsung's Android," but I held out for being cheap and it came back to bite me and my wallet badly. Keep it dedicated to the drone and do not install a lot of superfluous bloatware either. Apple seems to have more of that under control and why it runs better overall. Note that I now use an iPad Air 2+Cellular and it is beginning to show the video lag matters as GO has grown past about version 4.0.3. Latest GO 4 is almost 1/4GB in size which is a lot for a slow handheld device, and it randomly calls out too in the background. I'll likely need to update it to an iPadPro 2 later this year I fear with GO 5 or whatever it becomes which probably will also kill off a lot of current devices.

so from what I read, I believe my ancient iPad mini 1 isn't good enough for my phantom 3s
Nope. You can find a list of compatible Apple (and Android) devices here.

I went just about as cheap as you can go. Amazon Fire 5th gen rooted to run go4. I honestly can't say that I regret it yet. I mean yeah its slow and it has crashed a few times but I can reopen the app and all is well. It is absolutely not ideal but it will get the job done. I do use my iPhone 6 too but the screen is so small. The only problem I've had so far is the app crashing but from what I understand pretty much all android machines crash. I'd love to have a nice apple ipad but its just not in the budget right now. I got the fire tablet for $25 and for what it is it was well worth it.

Samsung!? Yuck. Vomit. Ptui. :mad:

If you want to waste your money, go ahead and buy one. Just make sure you root it out to a basic Android OS and be careful of what other apps you load - or never load any - that may take over the processor resources and slow GO down. GO is already bloated enough as it is in processor needs.

In time, you'll be posting about "Why do I see green and magenta bands on my screen?" (Video lag.) Then they turn to gray half-screens and a bit more lag as GO grows a few months later. Then you'll get a crash where the app shuts down to black and you need to reboot the Samsung device to get GO back up and running. Months later you'll get the "Disconnected" message and nothing seen from the camera shown as both of my two Samsungs I invested over $1,200 on. Now none of mine will connect where they did a year ago.

There are sundry Android systems out there like OxygenOS (Android) and whether they run with less issues than the Samsung OS I don't know. But for me, you couldn't pay me to run a Samsung device with the DJI gear short of a bottle full of Xanax nearby for stress dealing with the device issues, crashes, or disconnects.

I should have listened to others who said "To go with the iPad Pro 9.7" if you want less issues and be done with Samsung's Android," but I held out for being cheap and it came back to bite me and my wallet badly. Keep it dedicated to the drone and do not install a lot of superfluous bloatware either. Apple seems to have more of that under control and why it runs better overall. Note that I now use an iPad Air 2+Cellular and it is beginning to show the video lag matters as GO has grown past about version 4.0.3. Latest GO 4 is almost 1/4GB in size which is a lot for a slow handheld device, and it randomly calls out too in the background. I'll likely need to update it to an iPadPro 2 later this year I fear with GO 5 or whatever it becomes which probably will also kill off a lot of current devices.

Thanks!
But now I'm more confused(easily done)
I just read some article in the top 7 tablets for the phantom and the Samsung I mentioned was #2 after iPad 3 I think.
I just really didn't want to spend too much more but then I don't want to have to continue to buy divides and mire importantly, I need reliable devices as you can see, I'm a real noob to this tech stuff. I don't want to be trying to solve tech issues.

I'm looking for an 8" tablet (I don't need anything bigger)

Thanks

I don't see on list but I also have lying around is an Asus Transformer book (tablet removes)
Would this work possibly with no issues?

Thanks

I think the experience with iOS and Android tablets is individual.
Personally I have been flying my P3A with a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7" nearly 18 months without problem. I don't root my S2 and I do use it for other apps as well.

Bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8'' yesterday , big difference from my phone , P3S , android 6.0.1 on the tablet , finally updated GO App to 3.1.5 , everything works perfectly , no app crashes , good distance , follow me mode works , signal score on AirData is 100 % -- used to be in single digits with the phone , signal map is all green -- used to be orange /red / purple , display on the Tab S2 is bright -- should be added to recommended devices .

I just bought a Samsung galaxy tab A 8" and all I plan on using it for is flying.I ordered a 128 GB mini card but since I got it it has rained a lot so I havn't had a chance to try it out.
I did a lot of searching and I think the best model is ,
Model SM-T350NZ but the most important is,
MPN SM-T350NZAAXAR , the last 5 AAXAR is the best one by the reading I have done.

I just bought a Samsung galaxy tab A 8" and all I plan on using it for is flying.I ordered a 128 GB mini card but since I got it it has rained a lot so I havn't had a chance to try it out.
MPN SM-T350NZAAXAR , the last 5 AAXAR is the best one by the reading I have done.
HI Yip I use both the 8"and the new tab A6 10/1 Samsung both mine awsome ,:)

Thanks!
But now I'm more confused(easily done)
I just read some article in the top 7 tablets for the phantom and the Samsung I mentioned was #2 after iPad 3 I think.
I just really didn't want to spend too much more but then I don't want to have to continue to buy divides and mire importantly, I need reliable devices as you can see, I'm a real noob to this tech stuff. I don't want to be trying to solve tech issues.

I'm looking for an 8" tablet (I don't need anything bigger)

Thanks
Ha you are hooked you be spending more soon,:)enjoy

I'm tossed between the iPad mini 2 and the Samsung A8.
Obviously the iPad mini is way more. I can pick up the Samsung 8 for $100. I am only going to use it for the p3s. Nothing else.
I've flown my bird 2 times and since (1 week) it's been raining non stop. The real kicker is I've had some time off work so I bought the hard shell backpack, ARGtek range extender, lanyard etc... Only to look at it all sitting on the shelf.
I'm leaning towards the Samsung as for $100 it's too tempting to pass up.
Thanks
Mike

Another good option on the cheaper side is the Nexus 7 2013. I use one, it works flawlessly. One of the brightest screens you'll find on a tablet to boot. I picked mine up on eBay for about $125.

Is there a difference from the AXAR vs AAXAR
Just want to make sure I'm ordering right one.

Well I went ahead and bought the Samsung Tab A -(AAXAR)
I got it for $115 so hope it last at least a year. I think for my needs, it should be fine.
Now I need to figure out how to download pics and video (edit with music etc...)
Wait! I 1st need it to stop raining.

Thanks all!
Mike

I got mine off Ebay for $89.89 and he offers a 14 day money back guarantee.These tablets have operating platforms Android 5.0 but mine uses " Lollipop" which is preferred over the other ones.That is the main reason I picked the AAXAR or the reason I picked this one. 1.2 GHz, Quad-Core; RAM: 1.
Sorrry I took so long to answer as I was looking up the sellers name but glad you already ordered yours.

I already ordered.
I'm sure it will be s step up from my 1st gen iPad mini. I can barely do anything on it as its so slow.

Thanks for the help
Mike

Another good option on the cheaper side is the Nexus 7 2013. I use one, it works flawlessly. One of the brightest screens you'll find on a tablet to boot. I picked mine up on eBay for about $125.
I also own a Nexus 7 2013, but I find the Super AMOLED screen of my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7" screen is brighter than the LCD screen on Nexus 7.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31