Need Information On Display Options

Reaction score
I’m new to this forum and am interested in getting involved with flying drones. Before buying my first drone, I need you guys advice before plunking down some cash. I’m a retired software engineer with recent major back surgery just looking for another hobby.

My main intention is to use the Phantom 4 Advantage for two reasons. One is to hover above and ahead of me while I search for redfish while I’m on my boat. Reason two is to use the drone to drop off bait a couple of hundred yards from the shore into the beach.

Reason one brings in the quality of the display. If I’m looking for fish, I will need reasonably good resolution. I’m not sure if the user can use his phone (Apple iPhone 6) or an iPad as a viewing device.

Which option gives the best and clearest view?

If it is possible to attach an external device, such as iPhone or iPad, for viewing the camera output, will either kind of controllers (with and without display) work?

If I’m on the boat and it’s drifting because of the wind, what will happen if I select the option to have the drone come back to me? Will it come to my new location or will it return to where I was at time of launch?

Carlos in North Padre Island Texas

My main intention is to use the Phantom 4 Advantage for two reasons.
Reason one brings in the quality of the display. If I’m looking for fish, I will need reasonably good resolution. I’m not sure if the user can use his phone (Apple iPhone 6) or an iPad as a viewing device.
Which option gives the best and clearest view?
With the Phantom 4 or pro, you get the option to use a phone or tablet - or buy the + version with an integrated screen.
The + version screen is bright but only the size of a phone.
I wouldn't count on any drone/screen to find fish in the water but Unless you pay for one of the high brightness Crystalsky screens, all screens are not great for viewing outdoors in sunlight.
If it is possible to attach an external device, such as iPhone or iPad, for viewing the camera output, will either kind of controllers (with and without display) work?
If you bought the + version, you can't connect another screen.
With the regular version you can use a phone, tablet or iPad.
If I’m on the boat and it’s drifting because of the wind, what will happen if I select the option to have the drone come back to me? Will it come to my new location or will it return to where I was at time of launch?
On default settings, the Phantom would try to return to the homepoint it recorded at startup.
It is possible to reset the homepoint to wherever the Phantom is at the current time.
Or with a gps enabled phone/tablet, you can reset home to the current location of the controller.
Either way should be find for what you are doing.
Because you don't want the Phantom to autoland on a boat (that's just asking for trouble), you could use RTH to bring it back and when close enough, cancel RTH and bring it in yourself for hand catching.

Great info already posted.

From my experience, iPhone 6+ has a very dim screen outdoors, (just had my LCD replaced due to a broken screen and it's still very dim), it's also a bit slow on processor and you need to make sure you have enough memory on the phone. The djigo4 app takes a lot of processor. iPhone 8+ has same screen are similar to 6+. Apple LCD's are not hight nit displays, which surprises me every time they come out with a new phone and the screen is not designed around daylight viewing, as the tech is there. Samsung S8 can go to 1000nits 2x the iPhone X at 500 nit.

iPad pro will go a bit brighter and newer ones can be viewed outdoors unless in bright light, however I still use a hood on my iPad.

Still the Samsung S8 or S9 are brighter phones, I am stuck on Apple OS due to apps I use. Not sure about the amount of nits displayed by Samsung tablets.

Other option is Crystalsky, made in a 5.5 and 7.5 size, runs dedicated djigo4 app (not the same as one for normal android devices). 1000 nit and 2000 nit (ultra bright). I have the high bright, 1000 nit and it's a great monitor for Mavic. However the djigo4 app is not stable for P4 (due to app lockups and video lock ups) so I no longer use it with the P4. Others seem to have less problems with the Phantoms. Battery life is excellent (unless you try to use it with the Spark which needs wifi).

All these devices have another issue, the screens are all glossy, high refectiveity on the screen outdoors. The iPad and larger Crystalsky both have this issue, which a hood helps to reduce. A matte screen would be a nice solution. The reflections can be distracting, causing you to get a different viewing angle, that might cause you to turn away from the drone and thus create a signal issue as the sticks are no longer pointing toward the drone.

Paul Caldwell

Holy guacamole, you guys know your stuff. I don’t know what the “Spark” is, but I’ll look it up.

Carlos

The Spark is another DJI drone, did not mean to bring it into this forum. Only works with WiFi, no Occusync or Lightbridge thus the Crystalsky wifi has to be used and it drains the battery much faster IMO.

Paul

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik