Need gimbal parts for my new P3 :(

Reaction score
Disaster has already struck. I was filming a birds next in a tree and someone behind me startled me and into the tree went my P3. Broke a blade and the camera gimbal. The 4K camera looks ok but I need some gimbal parts. Whats my course of action here? I see complete camera gimbal setups for $700... that's crazy. I see aftermarket 3 axis gimbals for around $100 but they're not going to take my DJI camera.

Any suggestions? I cannot find individual parts for this gimbal. I need the arm that hangs down and the motors. No control unit at the top and no camera at the bottom. Surely these pieces have to be available.

I've attached some pictures for everyone to gasp at.

Bummin' with a broken P3 :(

~Scott

Attachments

• 20150503_090528.jpg
    20150503_090528.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 683
  • 20150503_090513.jpg
    20150503_090513.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 656
  • 20150503_090502.jpg
    20150503_090502.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 657
You're not going to be able to find parts yet unless you find someone else who crashed and you can trade parts. Sorry about the crash, but it's going to be a few weeks for spare parts.

Disaster has already struck. I was filming a birds next in a tree and someone behind me startled me and into the tree went my P3. Broke a blade and the camera gimbal. The 4K camera looks ok but I need some gimbal parts. Whats my course of action here? I see complete camera gimbal setups for $700... that's crazy. I see aftermarket 3 axis gimbals for around $100 but they're not going to take my DJI camera.

Any suggestions? I cannot find individual parts for this gimbal. I need the arm that hangs down and the motors. No control unit at the top and no camera at the bottom. Surely these pieces have to be available.

I've attached some pictures for everyone to gasp at.

Bummin' with a broken P3 :(

~Scott
Welcome to the forum. How high were you? And kick that persons ***.

Reactions: J.James
so sorry to see this.. this is going to be a costly repair... I am currently testing a gimbal guard to prevent this happening

Reactions: Fplvert
Welcome to the forum, and sorry about your crash!

As new as these are, it might be awhile for parts.

You might try Hunch or Burlbark (members on here). They have helped many with this same problem on P2V+.

Good luck.

Hope you can get it fixed. Out of curiosity are spare parts like this available for the vision, i thought no spare parts were available for that and if it broke in anyway it was a complete new camera and gimbal job. Hope this is not the case tho.

I would consider buying another P3P and go from there - about ~$300 + more expensive than replacement parts but gets you in the air quickly....

Hope you can get it fixed. Out of curiosity are spare parts like this available for the vision, i thought no spare parts were available for that and if it broke in anyway it was a complete new camera and gimbal job. Hope this is not the case tho.

It is as DJI are not keen on selling the ribbon cable. There is plenty of broken pv2+ cameras on the bay so you should be able to cobble together the parts... the camera gimbal is probably the single most expensive part on the P3...

to the op ... can you buy an advanced and swap the fixtures?

Thanks guys for all the great info. I found ATKDrones (cant think of the guys name I spoke with) and send the gimbal and cam out to him. He's torn it down and verified every part is different than the V2P... some just ever-so-slightly. He also commented on how terrible the metal quality is on the gimbal and is in the process of making up high quality solid aluminum replacement parts. He suspects around the first week of June final prototypes should be complete and I should be back in business. What a great outfit up there. My rebuilt gimbal will be stronger than factory when they're done.

In the meantime, I bought a new P3-pro. I'm going to replace the shell on the broken P3 when it becomes available (it cracked too) and put the cam from the new one on the old one and sell it. I figure it'll be six weeks until I'm back in the air so for a few hundred bucks (re-sale loss), I can be back in the air now.

The only advise I can give is stay the f--- away from trees. the drone is incredibly stable, just don't get cocky and everything will be 100%.

also, pay attention to what blades go on what motors. that can get you too.

Happy flying!

In the meantime, I bought a new P3-pro. I'm going to replace the shell on the broken P3 when it becomes available (it cracked too) and put the cam from the new one on the old one and sell it. I figure it'll be six weeks until I'm back in the air so for a few hundred bucks (re-sale loss), I can be back in the air now.
That's how I'd justify it to myself too :) (seriously)

It is as DJI are not keen on selling the ribbon cable. There is plenty of broken pv2+ cameras on the bay so you should be able to cobble together the parts... the camera gimbal is probably the single most expensive part on the P3...
Ribbon cables are easy to buy. Amazon has 2 packs.

Ribbon cables are easy to buy. Amazon has 2 packs.

They're not the same from P2V+ to P3.

Nothing is. every single part with regards to the gimbal / camera / cabling is unique. Even the shell is different. Blades seem to be the same though.

They're not the same from P2V+ to P3.

Nothing is. every single part with regards to the gimbal / camera / cabling is unique. Even the shell is different. Blades seem to be the same though.
Oh, btw, not sure if you saw this:

4K Replacement Camera - $539
HD Replacement Camera - $450

Apparently includes the gimbal.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic