Need Advise - Best Option for FPV Goggles

i was really set on getting a set of glyphs, until i read more reviews & saw the 40° fov. dealbreaker. just ordered some headplay se's,
we shall see....!

i was really set on getting a set of glyphs, until i read more reviews & saw the 40° fov. dealbreaker. just ordered some headplay se's,
we shall see....!

Good luck on that decision because I had the Headplays and just hated them, 1, Big cumbersome blob on my head and not comfortable, mists up and in hot weather, horrible, 2, Could not see or know what was going on around me, 3, Whilst the picture quality was ok,,, IF you can get them to focus to make them acceptable especially with the full screen at the edges, 4, No LOS nor could you look at your RC. Any one of these is a deal beaker for me.

Now we consider the Glyph. 1, LOS & you can look down at your RC at all times, 2 Absolute perfect non pixel resolution - looks better than 1080p, 3, Light and fairly good comfort once positioned properly, and far far better in hot weather than the Headplays.

The FOV might be a little bigger than the Glyph BUT the true relationship between actual distance was out of whack when comparing the go app on the ipad with the Headplays.

Pity you didn't do a physical hands on comparison, wish I had because for me, and I know many others, the Glyph wins hands down.

John

Good luck on that decision because I had the Headplays and just hated them, 1, Big cumbersome blob on my head and not comfortable, mists up and in hot weather, horrible, 2, Could not see or know what was going on around me, 3, Whilst the picture quality was ok,,, IF you can get them to focus to make them acceptable especially with the full screen at the edges, 4, No LOS nor could you look at your RC. Any one of these is a deal beaker for me.

Now we consider the Glyph. 1, LOS & you can look down at your RC at all times, 2 Absolute perfect non pixel resolution - looks better than 1080p, 3, Light and fairly good comfort once positioned properly, and far far better in hot weather than the Headplays.

The FOV might be a little bigger than the Glyph BUT the true relationship between actual distance was out of whack when comparing the go app on the ipad with the Headplays.

Pity you didn't do a physical hands on comparison, wish I had because for me, and I know many others, the Glyph wins hands down.

John

Oh, and I missed with the Glyph that no one can creep up on you - you know whats going on around you at all times.

good points wrath -- i read your write up & it definately got me excited for the glyphs, but i'm really looking for the widest FOV & complete immersion. when they get a bigger than 40 degree FOV i'll be buying em!

good points wrath -- i read your write up & it definately got me excited for the glyphs, but i'm really looking for the widest FOV & complete immersion. when they get a bigger than 40 degree FOV i'll be buying em!

I had a lot of trouble getting them to focus,,, ended up getting the RHO lens which did help but still not completely right and the constant misting up was a real pain probably because of the sweaty heat we get here in Western Australia, still not as bad as Queensland.

Good luck with them and report back here with your experiences to help others.

John

got a mini hdmi cable, a 2000mah lipo, & got the headplays up & running! i'm impressed. the fov is huge, & the image quality is much improved from my p3p fpv setup (a phone & a pair of zeiss vr one's). i had no issues focusing the headplays, and even though the things are humongous (the wife was laughing hysterically), they're really lightweight. this is also cause most of the body is made of styrofoam, so don't let the dog get ahold of em... but overall i'm very satisfied, i think i'll get my $169 worth o fun for sure! and in another year or so, when glyph makes a model with a larger fov, & the styrofoam on my headplays has disintegrated, i'll try some o those...!

I haven't seen anyone mention the Royole Moon yet which is even higher resolution (1920x1080 per eye) than the Avegant Glyphs. Possibility of 3D maybe, but $800.

Royole Moon | Royole Corporation

Review here:

Looks good but I wonder if you can plug in the RC for a P4 which is 720p. Any users out there to confirm it will work ok and still give the big screen.
To me, I have the Glyph, the only very slight downfall is the FOV.
BUT $800 is quite a price to pay.

Looks good but I wonder if you can plug in the RC for a P4 which is 720p. Any users out there to confirm it will work ok and still give the big screen.

I would imagine the Royole Moons would auto-scale the 1080 to fit the 720 DJI HDMI output but don't really know. I'd also guess since they are higher resolution that the refresh rate might be faster (They claim 0.01 ms.) so there should be little or no video lag to them - maybe. I've read where the Epson BT-300 are getting bad reviews for video lag with the drones.

There are some stores called B8ta that carry a lot of the high-end FPV goggles and glasses to try out. Some carry the Epson BT-300 glasses as well as the Moons and the Glyphs. Might need to take in a drone to plug into them and see. Wish there was one near me as they got some neat high tech stuff in them.

I would imagine the Royole Moons would auto-scale the 1080 to fit the 720 DJI HDMI output but don't really know. I'd also guess since they are higher resolution that the refresh rate might be faster (They claim 0.01 ms.) so there should be little or no video lag to them - maybe. I've read where the Epson BT-300 are getting bad reviews for video lag with the drones.

There are some stores called B8ta that carry a lot of the high-end FPV goggles and glasses to try out. Some carry the Epson BT-300 glasses as well as the Moons and the Glyphs. Might need to take in a drone to plug into them and see. Wish there was one near me as they got some neat high tech stuff in them.

Yep, certainly not one of those stores here in Perth Australia and dont think one in the whole of Auz.
No problem with lag on the Glyphs and unlike the Moons I can LOS & look at my RC unit and around.

As i said, need user (with DJI Drone) to see how it goes.

Haven't been on the forum for a while but just saw your thread. I'm currently using the Epson BT-200 glasses (which allow you to see the world but the "screen" seems to be projected in front of you. Great for flying solo since you actually have LOS all the time. I have a P3 pro with the HDMI module. had to purchase the Colorado Video adapter kit so I could have BOTH my iphone running the app and my glasses showing the video. However, with the HDMI output I really don't use the app very much (turn on the camera, take pictures) but most of the telemetry shows from the HDMI app! They work very well, even in bright sunlight.

The Epson BT-300 series is supposed to be even better, I pre-ordered mine last december and (of course) they are still delayed. I'll try to post a review once they arrive.

Last may I posted a review and some pictures of my BT-200 setup:

Moverio BT200 + Colorado Video DM485CS = DJI Phantom 3 FPV!

or just search forum for BT-200

Let me know if you want more information
Tom
P2Vision
P3Pro
Epson Moverio BT-200 glasses
NVidia Sheild / iPhone 6
***waiting for my BT-300!!!!!***

I just bought the HeadPlay for $250. I didnt realize I needed a battery, charger, mini to mini hdmi cable, and another HDMI output module for my controller, plus removal and install of this part, to make this thing work!! Another $200 on top of the $250, plus taking shicht apart. Im much better with plug an play, not a techie, so this crap intimidates me! Hopefully when the extra parts arrive, this thing will work. Now I think I should have gone with the Glyphs?

I just bought the HeadPlay for $250. I didnt realize I needed a battery, charger, mini to mini hdmi cable, and another HDMI output module for my controller, plus removal and install of this part, to make this thing work!! Another $200 on top of the $250, plus taking shicht apart. Im much better with plug an play, not a techie, so this crap intimidates me! Hopefully when the extra parts arrive, this thing will work. Now I think I should have gone with the Glyphs?

Even Glyph would need HDMI module.

Working for 720p resolution in general should not be a problem as per my experience even cheap hdmi controllers do down scaling easily.

got a mini hdmi cable, a 2000mah lipo, & got the headplays up & running! i'm impressed. the fov is huge, & the image quality is much improved from my p3p fpv setup (a phone & a pair of zeiss vr one's). i had no issues focusing the headplays, and even though the things are humongous (the wife was laughing hysterically), they're really lightweight. this is also cause most of the body is made of styrofoam, so don't let the dog get ahold of em... but overall i'm very satisfied, i think i'll get my $169 worth o fun for sure! and in another year or so, when glyph makes a model with a larger fov, & the styrofoam on my headplays has disintegrated, i'll try some o those...!

How did you use ZEISS VR one with your P3? Did you use external app like Litchi?

I have already installed the HDMI Module and have narrowed my list of goggles to one of two the Fatshark Dominator hd3 or the Avegant Glyph. I would like to know if anyone can share if they have used both and make recommendations. Pros/Cons ect.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues